Arete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 full-body per week too much to handle - need simpler, basic-fitness alternative

They say that it is the best way for beginners to train because of our inevitable weakness and low intensity, but I've come to the conclusion that 3 full-body workouts per week (20 Rep Squat program in my case) is too much for me.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but this point, I'm working up to basic fitness and average strength, not bulging muscles or high poundages.

I thought about using a 4 or 5-way split as a way to lighten the per-workout load, but they all refer to increased per-workout volume, rather than decreased.

I guess that after finding that out, I'm not sure what to do anymore.

One bodypart per workout seems easier to handle in spite of the increased volume, but probably only because I haven't put myself through it yet.

At the same time, my difficulty with 3 full-body workouts per week probably has more to do with juggling an entire body's worth of flawless and seemingly high-intensity work into 45 minutes.

Would it be wise, or even possible, for a horribly out-of-shape total beginner to get his weekly exercise/microtrauma quota from volume rather than frequency? I can always switch back to high frequency once I get myself into better shape.

If not, is there anything out there that would be better suited for basic fitness than a full-fledged mass-building program?
    Last edited by Arete; 01-16-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do not be ashamed. What you are experiencing is very common. Its just that most people dont want to admit that a routine is kicking their ass. Everyone wants to be a hardcore maniac.

I have a few suggestions. First, I am familar with the 20 rep squat program. Its a tough program no doubt. Some people may be able to handle a full body routine three times a week. Others do better on twice a week. Say Mondays and Fridays for example. It may be as simple as just reducing your training by one day.

If that doesnt sound like it will do the trick and you do not wish to train your entire body in one sitting you could split the body up like this:

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Quads/Hamstrings/Calves

This way you will be hitting at the most three bodyparts at a session. You dont have to send the volume through the roof either. Especially if you are feeling overtrained on your current workout. I would 1-2 exercises for large msucles, 1 for smaller ones at 1-3 sets each. Back would get at least two exercises one for width one for thickness.

If you were to use a routine like this you could train MWF with weekends off. Unless you are an extreme hardgainer that should give you plenty of time to recover.

If massive size isnt your goal and you're just looking for general fitness you dont have to go balls to the wall. You dont have to train to failure or use high intensity techniques. You dont have to push crazy poundages. I would say you should approach training with some level of dedication so you aren't just wasting your time. But just because you aren't throwing up in a bucket in the corner doesnt mean you arent getting the benefits of weight lifting.

Its interesting to note. Weight lifting is a very healthy activity. It may be the finest form of exercise there is. Hardcore bodybuilding on the other hand, can not be called a healthy activity. Carrying around 100lbs more muscle than nature ever intended is not healthy. Am I mocking hardcore bodybuilders? Hell no. I am one. I want to be as big as my genetic potential will allow. So do a lot of other people on this board. We're not right in the head

A fitness program does not have to be all that different from a mass program. Id say pick some exercises you like and put together a routine, post it and lets have a look.
    My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over...

100 pounds more muscle than Nature intended sounds just right to me

I'm just putting in an extra step, since a would-be hardcore bodybuilder is usually in better shape than I when he first starts out.

I'll try the 3-way split, along with a healthier and less extreme cutting diet, and if it doesn't work better, I'll try a 4 or 5-way split.

I'll post my new diet and routine in the Workout Journal section.
    Last edited by Arete; 01-16-2005 at 05:04 PM.

Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Whoops you didnt tell me you were on a cutting diet. I would certainly not suggest the 20 rep squat Program of Doom to a lifter in a depleted state. You gotta eat like a horse on that system.

And dont kid yourself. Everyone starts somewhere. Everyone is either fat or skinny when they get started. Ok, maybe we have the rare pure mesomorph who came out of the womb with lats and shredded abs. But the vast majority of use started off either shaped like a pear or a string bean.
    My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over...

Originally Posted by Gollum
    Whoops you didnt tell me you were on a cutting diet. I would certainly not suggest the 20 rep squat Program of Doom to a lifter in a depleted state. You gotta eat like a horse on that system.

And dont kid yourself. Everyone starts somewhere. Everyone is either fat or skinny when they get started. Ok, maybe we have the rare pure mesomorph who came out of the womb with lats and shredded abs. But the vast majority of use started off either shaped like a pear or a string bean.
    You can blame the "lift heavy to keep your muscle while cutting" theory for that. Just be glad I understood that Doggcrapp was not a beginner program, or else I would have used it instead!!! I've always had a nasty habit of biting off more than I can chew, then quitting when I find out I suck.
    Last edited by Arete; 01-16-2005 at 05:10 PM.

Well, yes you should lift heavy while cutting. But that statement pertains to experienced lifters who know their bodies pretty well. And its always within reason. I would say to someone "Ok, lets cut here's the most brutal mass program I can think of have a ball, sparky!"

Yes DC is not for beginners. And I dount very much that you "suck" LOL! You just need to find the right program and formulate a plan on what you would like to accomplish.

You have a sense of humor. Thats good. You need one in this crazy sport.