Goddess in training amazonchick's Avatar
    amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Arrow Rowing for cardio

Anybody had any experience with rowing for cardio? I just wanted a break from the other machines and am finding I really enjoy rowing. My gym has Concept 2 Rowers and since everyone is fighting over ellipticals the rowers are always available. I get into a rhythm and can close my eyes and just feel my muscles burning. Bliss. Are there any downsides to rowing? Seems like it would be a better cardio than just legs but I'd love to hear from anyone out there with opinions!
    Become the change you want to see in the world.

Ghandi

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Rowing is a great, whole-body cardio workout!

The major downside I have found with rowing is that to get your HR up high enough (I aim for the mid to high 150s), you have to go pretty damn hard and that momentum can be difficult to sustain for longer than about 15mins...

amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50) amber_stone will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

My trainer usually has me use the rower and it kicks my butt! I never use it before a leg weight day as i find it wears me out very quickly. She usually makes me do either interval training - do say 1000m with 100m as flat out as you can, then 100m moderate, repeat until you finish the 1000m (If you are fitter than me do 2000m or 3000m) or sets it up so you do 100 or 200m with a rest of 30secs in between, trying to beat your last time each round. I actually got my heartrate up so high on our last really hot day that i nearly passed out - as you can imagine i really watch it now! As far as i know there is no downsides to rowing as long as you watch your form and keep your abs tight (like most exercises really)

newntrying has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to row in university it is a great workout!

StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Rowing is an awesome full body workout but I agree with Lou it takes a LOT of work to maintain the speed necessary to keeping the heart rate up. I definitely feel that setting the Concept II Rower on the highest resistance and using it on a regular basis is a great way to sculpt the back and even the arms.

Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I take a weekly spin/rowing class (everyone can hop onto the rowers wehnever they want for 10-15 minutes at a time). I agree with lou and pwells that it is hard to get your HR up high and keep it there. Still it is a great workout. I really like doing it with the bike (gives my rear a break from the seat!)