derty kevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Need Help Figuring Out A Good Workout Routine

First off, let me just give you a little background on my problem. I'm 18 years old, 5"7 and weigh about 140 pounds..yeah, I'm freaking skinny. Besides the benefit of having a six pack, I am disgusted at the way I look. I can't even fill a polo shirt for god sakes.

The thing is, I've been in the gym for about two months now trying to gain some strength. I weigh about 2 pounds more than when I started working out so obviously I'm doing something wrong. Here's my current workout routine:

1. 5-10 minute warm-up on the treadmill
    2. Standing bicep curls (4 x 10 reps)
    3. Calf raises ( 4 x 15 reps)
    4. Preacher curl or hammer curls ( 4 x 10 reps)

(I do this every third day, taking two days off)

I've gained no strength and I'm lifting the same amount I was when I started. I got on bodybuilding.com and realized there are a lot of better excerises I could be doing. So here are some programs I found interesting:

(for biceps)
    # Standing bar curls - 3 sets of 8-12 repetitions.
    # One arm preacher curls - 3 sets of 8-12 repetitions.
    # Hammer curls (both arms or alternating) - 3 sets of 8-12 repetitions

(for triceps)
    Close-grip pushdowns 3 65 to 75% 1RM 12 to 15
    Close-grip bench presses 4 75 to 85% 1RM 8 to 10
    Parallel bar dips 4 Bodyweight 8 to 10
    Lying dumbbell triceps extensions 3 70 to 75% 1RM 12 to 15
    Single-arm reverse-grip pushdowns 3 70 to 75% 1RM 12 to 15

(for chest)
    Flat Bench Bench Press - 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6-reps
    Incline Bench Press - 4 sets of 8 reps
    The following two exercises you are going to superset:
    Dumbbell Flys - 3 sets of each exercise for 12 reps
    Straight-Arm Dumbbell Pullover - 3 sets of each exercise for 12 reps

Now as you can see I'm concentrating on upper body strength. My caves are embarrassing as well but I haven't found a workout on the site that I want, yet. I think I'm doing ok on the calf raises ( I do the burn out technique at the end) but since my calves are still skinny I must be kidding myself.

My main question is, how can I take all these workouts and put them into a weekly program? I'm unsure on how many days to take off in between and also need to incorporate some calf workouts into my routine. I wouldn't like to be in the gym for more than an hour if that's possible. I also plan on taking creatine when I have figured out a new workout plan.

I am very much a newbie so any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What are your eating habits like?
    From your post I gather you want to gain muscle and size however when you said you gained 2lbs so you must be doing something wrong, well that kind of threw me. Doesnt that mean you are doing something right?

What exactly does your cardio warm up consist of? Im a big proponent of doing cardio after weight resistance.

Thanks for the quick reply. I pretty much eat whatever I can whenever I can. I try to have a smoothie (the hulk) every other day but it becomes kind of expensive. I don't eat too much junk food, I usually satisfy my hunger with watermelon or blueberries because that is the only healthy food I can have that I don't have to make. I try to eat something before I go to sleep because I heard it helps you gain weight.

I gained 1-2 pounds...but I might lose it next week. My weight constanly goes up & down, so my inital post was actually incorrect. I've been trying to get over 140 ever since I started swimming in August and now that I've been off since about April I figured it would be easy to start gaining weight.

On the treadmill I raise it up to 1.0 and go at a speed of 4.8-4.9, a steady jog. I'm not sure if all treadmills use the same numbers so those numbers I just listed might be worthless. I just try to get a little warm up run in.

MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

READ THAT ENTIRE THREAD if you have questions come back

Originally Posted by MCanavan6 View Post
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

READ THAT ENTIRE THREAD if you have questions come back
    I don't understand. This workout seems to be centered around Squats and Bench press. I would like to build my biceps and triceps as well...

MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MCanavan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by derty kevin View Post
    I don't understand. This workout seems to be centered around Squats and Bench press. I would like to build my biceps and triceps as well...
    Your entire body is a weak link do not worry about concentrating on biceps and triceps right now. The bench will work your triceps and the deads, rows or cleans will work the biceps. DO THE PROGRAM AND FOLLOW IT EXACTLY AS WRITTEN.

Originally Posted by MCanavan6 View Post
    Your entire body is a weak link do not worry about concentrating on biceps and triceps right now. The bench will work your triceps and the deads, rows or cleans will work the biceps. DO THE PROGRAM AND FOLLOW IT EXACTLY AS WRITTEN.
    Alright, I'll try my best.

Alright, I'll try my best.
    trying is for pussies, doing is for winners. write that down or remember that. lol

Any questions you have about that program post here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2281631

Many of the people in there know more about that program than you can imagine. And one of the guys in there is friends with the guy who made that program.

What I'm worried about is, I'm more into how I look than how strong I actually am. I hope this program isn't one of those things were I'll be a lot stronger but no one can notice it.

ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What I'm worried about is, I'm more into how I look than how strong I actually am. I hope this program isn't one of those things were I'll be a lot stronger but no one can notice it.
    My take on the program (I'm currently on it) is kind of the same logic as "you have to learn to crawl before you walk". If you stick to the program, you'll build your strength and if you follow the diet (which for you probably consists of eating eating eating), the visual gains will come too with time.

Originally Posted by ilocke View Post
    My take on the program (I'm currently on it) is kind of the same logic as "you have to learn to crawl before you walk". If you stick to the program, you'll build your strength and if you follow the diet (which for you probably consists of eating eating eating), the visual gains will come too with time.
    Haha yeah. People keep telling me I need to eat more. It's hard when you're full...lol

ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ilocke is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Haha yeah. People keep telling me I need to eat more. It's hard when you're full...lol
    Try to throw some supplements in there (like some shakes) to help you out with calories. I personally find it easier to down some liquid than to eat food if I'm full.

As for what kinds of shakes, do some searching in the supplement forum to find what would be best for you, as I'm not experienced enough to really recommend one at this point.

From what I've read though, a lot of skinny guys who struggle to get bigger are falling short in one area, the kitchen.