Notabunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tucked Elbows During BP?

I'm recovering from a shoulder injury. After what I've read in the threads, I've decided to replace flat barbell bp with incline dumbbell press in an effort to reduce the stress on my shoulder. So far I really enjoy working with the dumbbells, but I have two questions;

1) Most of the advice I've read in the threads says that I should keep my elbows "tucked" when doing incline dumbbell presses. What exactly does that mean? How close to my sides should I keep my elbows?

2) I can press more than I can curl. How do I get the dumbbells from the floor to the starting position using good form (w/o yanking them up) so that I don't stress my shoulder?

Thank you for your help.

countryb4all has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) countryb4all has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) countryb4all has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) countryb4all has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) countryb4all has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1) I think if you keep the elbows to close to the body you would be working more triceps than chest. Keep them elbows out.

2) What i do is put the Db's on the floor infront of the chair. I bend the knees and pick them up so each db is lean on a leg. i sit down so both are standing upright (one on each leg near the knee). When it is time to get down to business, I lift with my arm and leg and pop the Weight into position to lift. Do one side then the other. Practice this with lighter DB's first. You will get the hand of it.

sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Notabunny
    I'm recovering from a shoulder injury. After what I've read in the threads, I've decided to replace flat barbell bp with incline dumbbell press in an effort to reduce the stress on my shoulder. So far I really enjoy working with the dumbbells, but I have two questions;

1) Most of the advice I've read in the threads says that I should keep my elbows "tucked" when doing incline dumbbell presses. What exactly does that mean? How close to my sides should I keep my elbows?

2) I can press more than I can curl. How do I get the dumbbells from the floor to the starting position using good form (w/o yanking them up) so that I don't stress my shoulder?

Thank you for your help.
    1) Do a search in the powerlifting section. Benching with elbows tucked, back arched, and leg drive is a powerlifting style benchpress technique which is how I do it too. Definitely safer on the shoulders. I had a bad rotator cuff years ago from 'regular' benching but now that I've been doing it with elbows tucked, I haven't had any shoulder pain. <- That advice is for benching with a barbell. But dumbells wouldn't be much different technique. I've found the easiest way to keep the elbows tucked with dumbells is to do the presses with your palms facing each other.

2) As for getting the dumbells up, try cleaning them up as in a hang clean. You will mostly be using leg strength to get 'em up.

sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by countryb4all
    1) I think if you keep the elbows to close to the body you would be working more triceps than chest. Keep them elbows out.

2) What i do is put the Db's on the floor infront of the chair. I bend the knees and pick them up so each db is lean on a leg. i sit down so both are standing upright (one on each leg near the knee). When it is time to get down to business, I lift with my arm and leg and pop the Weight into position to lift. Do one side then the other. Practice this with lighter DB's first. You will get the hand of it.
    1) Yes it is true, keeping elbows closer to the body will use more triceps but it's a lot safer on the shoulders and he's already got shoulder problems.

2) Yeah that works too.

Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Elbows in.

I tried this the other day and it seemed to be similar to a close grip bench. My tri's were sore as hell but felt nothing in the chest. I went back to elbows out and felt it much more in the chest. Since I bench any way with a 16" grip elbows in just gave me a serious pain above my elbows where the tri's tie in.

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In going wide puts additional stress on the RC's and can lead to trouble down the road.

1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DanMc
    In going wide puts additional stress on the RC's and can lead to trouble down the road.
    I think Dan you mean in going TOO wide. Everyone has to find their "mark" Personally, I used an empty bar and experimented until I found the right distance for me.

As for getting the DB's up...I place them just above my knees right before I sit down. Then "pop" one up to my shoulder, one at a time. If I'm going "heavy" I have a spotter hand them to me so I don't expend too much energy getting them into position.

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I always do my DB both flat and inclined presses with elbows out.......or try too. But if I have an exceptionally tough chest and tri day........I don't feel bad if I tuck them in just to get throught the last few sets. Yet another reason IMO.........chest and tris are made to be done the same day. LOL

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 1stindoor
    As for getting the DB's up...I place them just above my knees right before I sit down. Then "pop" one up to my shoulder, one at a time. If I'm going "heavy" I have a spotter hand them to me so I don't expend too much energy getting them into position.
    I train at home and I had to figure a way to get the DB's up when I go heavy. There is a tricky technique IMO to do this without tearing up the rotator just getting setup to do DB Presses. One reason, I do miss training with a partner. But I adapted quite well.

Notabunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys. The suggestion of setting the DBs just above my knees and then popping them up worked well for me last night. I'll keep working on finding the right elbow position for me. Having them too close to my sides seems to almost remove my chest from the press. But until my shoulder is back to 100% I don't mind giving up some isolation of my pecs and letting my triceps help out a little.