Thread: Cardio question

TurboTam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Cardio question

I've been training for a while and I have always done at least 60 minutes on the treadmill 2.5 mph @ 15% incline as my cardio. I've been reading about HIIT and wondering if this is really all I need because let me tell you I would love to eliminate any extra min. on the treadmill if possible!

I've been lurking around for a while now, reading and learning. I want to thank everyone for great posts and awesome info!

Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lauroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you doing your cardio for maintenance or for fat loss?

In my opinion HIIT is great. I used to do running on the treadmill for 60 minutes 5-6 times a week and my weight loss had stalled. Now I do HIIT 3 times a week for 20 minutes, and usually an extra 10 minutes moderate at the end to catch my breath.

So basically I'm spending 1/4 of the time doing cardio and it's been highly effective helping me lean out.

Give it a shot

sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparky141978 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used to do cardio 4-5x a week as well for 30-45 minutes and went down to 2-3x a week 20-30 minute intervals. I focus more on weights and my body fat has decreased.

star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Even though HIIT is a lot harder than steady state cardio, you're done in more than half the time, which makes it easier to get through.

Your body adjusts way too easily to steady state cardio, which is why you won't notice continuous progress. HIIT is definitely the way to go, especially if you want to cut back on time and increase your results. Give it a try, but definitely work your way up to it.

Thanks! I will give it a try. I know you're right about the body adjusting because mine has and the treadmill only goes to 15% incline so I have to up my time and to be honest I just don't have anymore right now! I am doing this to lose body fat.

What's a good starting HIIT?

I have a pretty high endurance level from doing the treadmill for so long. I was wondering if someone would give me an example for starting and eventually increasing. I've found some info. on the net but they made it out to be so complicated with special charts and tables. LOL

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TurboTam View Post
    I have a pretty high endurance level from doing the treadmill for so long. I was wondering if someone would give me an example for starting and eventually increasing. I've found some info. on the net but they made it out to be so complicated with special charts and tables. LOL
    Well HIIT isn't about endurance really, it's about explosive power. You'll be engaging thicker, fast-twitch muscle fibers to a much greater extent than the slow-twitch fibers you've been using. So it will take some getting used to. You might want to look up TABATA, which is just 4 minutes (10 seconds rest, 20 seconds sprint). Some people also do sprints on a track, or if your treadmill has interval settings you can run for 30 seconds and rest for a minute. Or do 45/45, or 30/90 seconds. Some HIIT takes 10 minutes, some takes 20, there are varying levels of intensity.

Thanks, that helps

Sorry for all the questions I just have one more (I believe) for now, is there a limit where someone should stop? Not that I'm planning on reaching that anytime soon. You said some of the HIIT can be 20 min. is that the max?

^^^likes her big thighs Pilotgirl29's Avatar
    Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sorry for all the questions I just have one more (I believe) for now, is there a limit where someone should stop? Not that I'm planning on reaching that anytime soon. You said some of the HIIT can be 20 min. is that the max?
    My HIIT usually lasts for 15 minutes. Any longer than that and I can't move. If you are truly reaching the high intensity that HIIT aims for, you will be beat once this amount of time is up.

But there's nothing wrong with doing intervals at lower intensities for longer times. It would just defeat the purpose of you trying to cut down on cardio time.
    If you're not 1st, you're last.

musclar smurfette Sunshineslynn's Avatar
    Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I have been a pusher of HIIT for many a year. I loath cardio so the less time I have to do and the better results I am all over it. That is the only way I reduce my bodyfat is with HIIT every cut I have done its been with HIIT with the exception when I first started it thinking I had to do hours doing cardio. I typically do 2-3 sessions a week varying the times 10-15 mins. On the 10min HIIT cardio I will sprint at 9.5 for a minute then 7.5 for a minute then 4 for minute and repeat 2 times then cool down for min., now for the longer ones I will go 4 minute, 6.5 for min., 8 for a min, 9 min, then back down to 4 and repeat that process for 3times then cool down. I may increase the speed next week but that is were I am at the momment. Plus any yard work or dancing I do on the weekend is just putting the icing on the cake for the cardio.

here are some other articles that are easy to read on the subject matter especially the second one which is the one I follow to an extent:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw40.htm
    "You can't take some pill and hope your fat will jump off of you like you have the plague. You must work out and eat clean to have a lean, green, fighting machine." Sunshineslynn

'If you always do what you always did, then you will always get what you always do'

I dip, you dip, we all dip....dip to the east, dip to the west ......dip to get that tricep.

Right On!

Thanks so much! I'm ready to blast through this plateau and get things moving again!

lillifter35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a quick question. Up until this point I have always done cardio first. I don't like cardio and figured after weights I would just hem and haw about it and make every excuse and then just go home. BUUUUUUT reading all these posts I decided to suck it up and so far (3 days) I've managed to do well. Strength wise Weights have been off the hook God I love that. But anyhow my pay off was only 20 minutes of cardio. Although it's not Hiit training I'm wondering your opinion. On the arc I set it at interval training level 10 which is 50 out of hundred for one minute then 75 for thirty seconds, and I do this for 20 minutes. My question is now my heart rate goes to about 75% at 50 mark but does there come a point where your HR goes to high for it to be beneficial for fat loss. I'm not sure if i'm asking this the right way but maybe just critqueing what I have been doing would help alot. Thanks so much.