DougFunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

what does sore muscles mean??

what exactly does it mean when a muscle is sore for a day or 2 after a workout? will that muscle rebuild bigger if it's sore rather than not sore? my traps and calves are more sore than theyve ever been from an intense workout the other day.. should i wait till they are completely recovered to get back into the gym?

johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) johova70 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by DougFunny
    what exactly does it mean when a muscle is sore for a day or 2 after a workout? will that muscle rebuild bigger if it's sore rather than not sore? my traps and calves are more sore than theyve ever been from an intense workout the other day.. should i wait till they are completely recovered to get back into the gym?
    When lifting a muscle, every workout tears away at the muscle. When ur done, ur body begins to heal these tears and grow bigger muscles. The reason why the body is soar is because it is repairing these muscles and therefore causing that muscle to be soar. I dont suggest lifting very sore muscles because they wont produce as much weight as before but u should give it a 2-3 day rest and if it coninues to be soar after that, then u should see a doctor to see if u actually tore it. And try to go to bed earlier on a heavy workout because it will give ur mind more time to repair ur muscles, allowing them to grow bigger

TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000)
    always wait untill fully recovered before working that muscle again, if you don't then it's like ripping a wound open over and over again and it'll never heal.
    Sig line can't be a novel

Believe to achieve IronBender800's Avatar
    IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Delayed onset muscle soreness(doms) is caused by a build up of waste products sch as lactic acid in the muscles. You should wait at least 48 hours before training it again.

TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by IronBender800
    Delayed onset muscle soreness(doms) is caused by a build up of waste products sch as lactic acid in the muscles. You should wait at least 48 hours before training it again.

I thought it was microtrauma that caused the pain(DOMS).

EDIT:
    DOMS is not caused by lactic acid in the muscle. Lactic acid is a by product of burning sugars for energy duiring intense physical exercise. Within an hour after exercise, most, if not all, of the lactic acid produced in the muscles is removed and degraded. This misconception of lactic acid and DOMS probably got started by that fact that lactic acid is in fact produced in the muscles during intense exercise and does cause muscles to fatigue. The key point to remember is that muscle fatigue and DOMS are two different processes and just because they sometimes seem to go hand in hand, they are not related in any way.
    Last edited by TheOak; 01-10-2005 at 06:46 AM.
    Sig line can't be a novel

Believe to achieve IronBender800's Avatar
    IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TheOak
    I thought it was microtrauma that caused the pain(DOMS).

EDIT:
    DOMS is not caused by lactic acid in the muscle. Lactic acid is a by product of burning sugars for energy duiring intense physical exercise. Within an hour after exercise, most, if not all, of the lactic acid produced in the muscles is removed and degraded. This misconception of lactic acid and DOMS probably got started by that fact that lactic acid is in fact produced in the muscles during intense exercise and does cause muscles to fatigue. The key point to remember is that muscle fatigue and DOMS are two different processes and just because they sometimes seem to go hand in hand, they are not related in any way.
    Ah well ok. I know there is still lots of debate as to what causes muscle soreness but i guess that sounds right.

Anyways its simple, break muscle down, rest, repeat process.

MassSovereignty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MassSovereignty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MassSovereignty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MassSovereignty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MassSovereignty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MassSovereignty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MassSovereignty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DougFunny
    micro tears in your muscle tissue