The Bulldog Honky *KNUCKLEHEAD*'s Avatar
    *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50)

do pushups build mass??

i just started liftin after 10 years. doin good.. i was wonderin if pushups can build? i can only do 6 at a time, but get a pretty ferocious pump. anybody have experience either way in the pushup department?

Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    no.. always for endurance.. go with heavy dumbell benching for good mass

Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't listen to that guy, as long as your pushing yourself like any other exercise they can produce hypertrophy. More muscles are activated during exercises like pushups pullups squats etc. where your body is the resistance moving through space as compared to an exercise where you are moving the weight(DB,BB) through space.

After a while though, it might be necessary to increase the resistance by putting a plate on your back, incline, one handed etc.
    Last edited by Boridi; 01-07-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cannibus
    no.. always for endurance.. go with heavy dumbell benching for good mass
    YES, they can.
    if your looking to build mass however, there are better exercises for the chest to choose from.

Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wasnt the question can you build alot of mass from push ups.. and my answer they are more for endurance.. you want better results hit the weights.. whats going to work better... dumbell press or push ups... of course the answer is dumbells.. sure push ups will give u a work out.... but.. your not going to get ALOT of mass from just doing push ups all the time.. do some incline and decline bench presses.. dips etc.. thats the key for real mass.. or you can waste time and do push ups.. push ups dont hit all of your chest, doing incline and decline will give you a full chest workout and you will have that more full bulkier look.. but you guys go do your push ups

elboricua has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i totally agree with cannibus,go for the major lifts,decline,incline,db or bb,those are the best exercises to bulk up your chest

AnabolicMind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by *KNUCKLEHEAD*
    i just started liftin after 10 years. doin good.. i was wonderin if pushups can build? i can only do 6 at a time, but get a pretty ferocious pump. anybody have experience either way in the pushup department?
    Yes. Assuming load is increased, growth will come. Example> Do 6 one day, next chest day do 7, etc. When you reach 12, add weight. But use Decline and Incline DB/BB Press as weel.
    Inside each of us is the mentality of a champion. What does it take to bring this spirit to the surface? It takes an uncompromising will, an unparalleled mindset, a beyond hardcore discipline, and a desire to see your own blood spilled.

Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ynnhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wasnt the question can you build alot of mass from push ups.. and my answer they are more for endurance.. you want better results hit the weights.. whats going to work better... dumbell press or push ups... of course the answer is dumbells.. sure push ups will give u a work out.... but.. your not going to get ALOT of mass from just doing push ups all the time.. do some incline and decline bench presses.. dips etc.. thats the key for real mass.. or you can waste time and do push ups.. push ups dont hit all of your chest, doing incline and decline will give you a full chest workout and you will have that more full bulkier look.. but you guys go do your push ups
    like i said...YES, push ups can build mass. just like any other exercise, pushups are not going to be his only arsenal in developing his chest. they are a very good choice. just like dips. just like incline bench. they are just part of a complete program!!
    you obviously are poorly educated in the area of mass building. your statement 'push ups dont hit all of your chest', is by far INCORRECT. actually its quite the opposite. pushups can be just as dynamic for muscle growth as any the other exercises.
    i would love to see your mass or power building program. please share with us. have you competed? what mass results have you found? what kind of weights are you moving?

*KNUCKLEHEAD*, glad to hear your back in the gym and lifting again. best of luck to you.

On & on & on on & on ssmokinjoe's Avatar
    ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No, the question was "do pushups build mass?". You just added the "alot of" for some reason.

And of course dumbell presses are better for mass, but that wasn't the question either.

But yeah, pushups can build mass... especially if you can add weight to it somehow.

And yeah, dumbell presses are better if you have access to them.

Originally Posted by Ynnhoj
    like i said...YES, push ups can build mass. just like any other exercise, pushups are not going to be his only arsenal in developing his chest. they are a very good choice. just like dips. just like incline bench. they are just part of a complete program!!
    you obviously are poorly educated in the area of mass building. your statement 'push ups dont hit all of your chest', is by far INCORRECT. actually its quite the opposite. pushups can be just as dynamic for muscle growth as any the other exercises.
    i would love to see your mass or power building program. please share with us. have you competed? what mass results have you found? what kind of weights are you moving?

*KNUCKLEHEAD*, glad to hear your back in the gym and lifting again. best of luck to you.
    as i said before which would you do.. dumbell presses or push ups.. do pros or anyone else do push ups? no.. what about when you get stronger and need more reps/weight.. you gonna throw some plates on your back and do push ups like that.. sure if your brand new to the sport go ahead and do some push ups.. as you become more stronger/bigger are you going to go with push ups? which would probobly be a hell of alot of reps which would be relatively light weight..... now did i say push ups dont build mass AT ALL.. no i didnt.. i said if you want more mass do weights.. you cannot expect to be very massive by relying on push ups is basically want im trying to get you to ****ing read

as i said before which would you do.. dumbell presses or push ups.. do pros or anyone else do push ups? no.. what about when you get stronger and need more reps/weight.. you gonna throw some plates on your back and do push ups like that.. sure if your brand new to the sport go ahead and do some push ups.. as you become more stronger/bigger are you going to go with push ups? which would probobly be a hell of alot of reps which would be relatively light weight..... now did i say push ups dont build mass AT ALL.. no i didnt.. i said if you want more mass do weights.. you cannot expect to be very massive by relying on push ups is basically want im trying to get you to ****ing read
    i can read and comprehend just fine. something your having problems with!

the question from *KNUCKLEHEAD* was "do pushups build mass?".
    the answer is YES.

just to answer your questions:

which would 'I' (me) do...dumbell presses or push ups?
    --BOTH. a program doesnt not exist on one exercise alone. its a complete, dynamic system.

do pros or anyone else do push ups?
    --YES. they most certainly do.

you gonna throw some plates on your back and do push ups like that?
    --YES. thats what your supposed to do. there are varies was to increase resistance in exercise. or methods to make the motions more stressful on the muscles. there is timing. there is stacking. there is explosion.

as you become more stronger/bigger are you going to go with push ups?
    --YES. i cant see ever not making them, in some way, apart of my program. and i have been lifting for over 20 years!!
    you cannot expect to be very massive by relying on push ups is basically want im trying to get you to ****ing read.

'you cannot expect to be very massive by relying on push ups is basically want im trying to get you to ****ing read'
    --NOBODY here is doing pushups alone. NOR did anyone suggest that doing pushups without any other exercise is a good was to build mass. incorporating pushups into a mass program is a good idea, especially for the beginner. your reading comprehension needs some work.

best of luck.

Wufnu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do alot of pushups, and I've gained alot of tricep mass from it. Of course, I weigh like 300lbs and do about 150 pushups a day =/

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    they're kind of self-limiting; sure, they're good, but stacking plates on your back is just dangerous. it'd be like curling 10pds forever - sure, at the beginning it's good, but you need some way to progress forward.
    <->

The Bulldog Honky *KNUCKLEHEAD*'s Avatar
    *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks alot for all of your respnses! i love this board man, u guys answer so fast.

i shouldve added that i have an older but still pretty good universal type machine ( but goes to pretty heavy weight, well for a rebeginner - 200lbs). http://www.allaboutfitness.biz/images/all_str_325.jpg
    just without the attachment on the far left.

for chest i can do inclines, and regular bench with it, BUT , the bad part is that u have to start from the awkward position where your arms are by your armpits. very hard to get big lbs movin from that point, for me at least. so i figure ill just high rep for chest or do super slow. i have jailhouse type homemade dumbell, chains with weight on em, heaviest weight possible is 57lbs). should i bother doin flyes? thats why i was wondeirn about the pushups. . welll, knowin what u guys know now, should i use em as my first exercise (massbuilder) or as my last finisher? once i start to really outgrow the weights i have im def. gonna join a gym, but for now i think im just priming the engine. plus bein right after new years im sure the gyms are supercrowded down here. thank you all for takin the time out to help!
    Last edited by *KNUCKLEHEAD*; 01-08-2005 at 05:46 AM.

Wellcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depends on your goals, for bodybuilding, you will have to go free weight eventually.

For regular exercise, anything works. Just don't like the Lipitor guy on TV, height 5"11, weight ???, push ups 75, cholesterol 258 ...

esmilne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by *KNUCKLEHEAD* View Post
    I can't believe nobody caught the "I can only do 6" part of it. The REASON pushups are better for endurance than mass for MOST of us is because we CAN do an endurance quantity of pushups (>15). So obviously, with him only being able to do 6, like with anything else that anyone can do only 6 of, it is best for strength, and just getting into hypertrophy range. once he gets it into the 8-12 rep range, pushups will be best for hypertrophy FOR HIM. once he is past 15, pushups will THEN BECOME only an endurance exercise. LIKE WITH ANY OTHER EXERCISE. ALL these responses and no one saw the obvious.

Registered User YouJellyBitches's Avatar
    YouJellyBitches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YouJellyBitches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YouJellyBitches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YouJellyBitches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YouJellyBitches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YouJellyBitches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YouJellyBitches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YouJellyBitches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Resistance training is resistance training. Yes they do.

eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Only if keep increasing the weight by adding plates to your back as your strength builds up. This means staying near the 10RM range.

But if you think that doing 50 or 100 push ups in single set will build you muscle, then no, the weight used is clearly too light.

You wouldnt expect to build some huge biceps by doing 100 curls with a 5lb dumbbell would you?

heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes. The majority of the mass will be from sarcoplasmic hypertrophy tough.
    Follow my quest for 100,000 pull ups this year

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asj9kQZoAthCdEwyN3JWdEE3cFdnOC1YcTRZR01kVVE#gid=0

Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zenshi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Was interested in thread but OP is from 2005. Necro-post?

Tutpik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tutpik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tutpik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stronk necro thread. 8yrs and still going.

heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by esmilne View Post
    I can't believe nobody caught the "I can only do 6" part of it. The REASON pushups are better for endurance than mass for MOST of us is because we CAN do an endurance quantity of pushups (>15). So obviously, with him only being able to do 6, like with anything else that anyone can do only 6 of, it is best for strength, and just getting into hypertrophy range. once he gets it into the 8-12 rep range, pushups will be best for hypertrophy FOR HIM. once he is past 15, pushups will THEN BECOME only an endurance exercise. LIKE WITH ANY OTHER EXERCISE. ALL these responses and no one saw the obvious.
    Even only being able to do 6, you're still not tearing much muscle. that is likely a nervous system issue which will be remedied quickly
    Follow my quest for 100,000 pull ups this year

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asj9kQZoAthCdEwyN3JWdEE3cFdnOC1YcTRZR01kVVE#gid=0

Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dasim35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hmm right work out they can generate hypertrophy. More muscle tissue are triggered during workouts like push-ups pullups the squat etc
    Premier Fitness Solutions Personal Trainers
    1445 Merchant Drive Algonquin, Illinois, USA,
    60102-5917, PH (224) 678-9060
    http://www.premierfitnessolutions.com/

emceeElijah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by esmilne View Post
    I loved what you just said, thanks it also answered my question

duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500)
    You can build muscle doing anything if you are determined to do so. You dont need fancy equipment. There is a reason why 100 rep sets arent popular. They hurt. Do a set of pushups all out, rest 3 minutes, then repeat x 3. Do this every other day. When you are able to do 100 reps per set, then comment if you have built muscle.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if you can only do 6 at a time then of course ? until you can do like 20 per set without problem you are probably building your chest

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're failing in the 5-15 range, absolutely it will build mass. It only becomes less efficient for building muscle once 15+ reps feels easy, which most people get to pretty soon.

No matter how advanced you are, you should probably do pushups anyways, because bench press doesn't really work the serratus anterior muscle, which is critical for shoulder safety and ab aesthetics. A strong serratus anterior carries over to all upper body pressing movements, and reduces the likelihood of those pesky rotator cuff injuries.

emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) emphasis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When I was 15 I did the "100 push ups program" (you can find it online) and my chest blew up once I hit 75 push ups. I think it can build muscle you just have to focus on the contractions very well.. just my thoughts.

Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asianhulk82 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes pushups can build mass. And make for a very aesthetic upper body just on its own. Depends on your goals. You won't look like a bodybuilder but if you can do 100 pushups, 200 crunches and a few pullups twice a day, you already have a beach body. Eating right of course for your goals.

Originally Posted by emphasis View Post
    When I was 15 I did the "100 push ups program" (you can find it online) and my chest blew up once I hit 75 push ups. I think it can build muscle you just have to focus on the contractions very well.. just my thoughts.