Dubbl Dawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Egg whites, how much protein?

When i crack an egg, there really doesn't seem to be that much white in one. Seeing as how there is only 6 g of protein in whole egg, how much is in the white? Why not eat the yellow too? Besides the fact that a hard-boiled yellow is nasty i mean.

Thanks,
    Brian

DIDACTIC BB "HCIC" TESTOSTERONE's Avatar
    TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000)
    the white of an egg is all protein (6 grams) the yolk contains fat 4 "grams" and sat fat 2 "grams" and also other enzymes and such
    ...this is why you only hear people eating the white of the egg, for example 6 egg whites for breakfast and a serving of oatmeal
    Last edited by TESTOSTERONE; 06-18-2002 at 07:46 AM.
    *GODSMACK*

fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000) fitforlife is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't think that is accurate. I think that I read that the white of an egg contains about 3.5g of protien and the yolk contains 3.5g as well. The WHOLE egg contains 6-7g of protien, depending on size. The yolk does contain all the fat though (about 4.5g). Please correct me if I am wrong!

Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The yolk of the egg also contains healthy ingrediants, so there is no need to cut them out entirely.
    People who go around pretending to know everything are annoying those of us who really do.

DIDACTIC BB "HCIC" TESTOSTERONE's Avatar
    TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by fitforlife
    I don't think that is accurate. I think that I read that the white of an egg contains about 3.5g of protien and the yolk contains 3.5g as well. The WHOLE egg contains 6-7g of protien, depending on size. The yolk does contain all the fat though (about 4.5g). Please correct me if I am wrong!
    I have no proof to back up my statement fit, I could be wrong,I don't remember where I heard this info and what I do recall could be false, on the other hand you could be correct
    *GODSMACK*

makaveli83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In the yolk is the fat and also protien and vitamins and minerals
    Rage is good Concentration is good But a combination is even better!

Life aint hard u get what the f*ck u put in.

RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally posted by TESTOSTERONE
    the white of an egg is all protein (6 grams) the yolk contains fat 4 "grams" and sat fat 2 "grams" and also other enzymes and such
    ...this is why you only hear people eating the white of the egg, for example 6 egg whites for breakfast and a serving of oatmeal

Test is right to an extent. The white is all protein, but not all of the protein in the egg is located in the white. A good estimate for the protein content of an egg white would be what FitforLife said, roughly 3 1/2g depending on the size of the egg, as well as approx. 6-7g for the whole egg. Fat content is also right around 6-6 1/2
    "Sucess is a simple measurement of the commitment, sacrifice, and pain one endures to achieve a dream"-Unknown

"its about knowing what you want, and accepting what you have to sacrifice"- From Big Cat's article on Building a Professional

Fckin Catalina Wine Mixa! Fletch's Avatar
    Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by makaveli83
    In the yolk is the fat and also protien and vitamins and minerals
    like our buddy cholesterol.....try to limit the number of yolks ya eat when you are trying to keep the cholesterol level down. The 6-7g protein is from the total egg.....with 3.5g being from the whites......mixing in a yolk or two with a bunch of whites won't hurt with an omelette for the morning meal.

- Fletch
    Find us on ********!
    http://www.********.com/pages/Tampa-Teddy-Wireless/177454788957743

RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RoughN_Tough is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I wouldn't worry about cholesterol, as long as one is performing some type of weight training and/or cardio. I'll post an article pertaining to this subject after lunch.
    "Sucess is a simple measurement of the commitment, sacrifice, and pain one endures to achieve a dream"-Unknown

"its about knowing what you want, and accepting what you have to sacrifice"- From Big Cat's article on Building a Professional

Crap.....I have an issue of Muscular Devolopment that has an article explaining why not to worry about cholesterol levels when consuming eggs. As soon as I find it I will post it.

Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by RoughN'Tough
    Crap.....I have an issue of Muscular Devolopment that has an article explaining why not to worry about cholesterol levels when consuming eggs. As soon as I find it I will post it.
    It's because consuming cholesterol doesn't necessarily raise the level of cholesterol in your body
    People who go around pretending to know everything are annoying those of us who really do.

Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Egg whites contain a little more than half the protein in an egg, 3.35 grams I think(there`s a little over 6 grams in an egg, ofcourse this depends on the size of the egg).
    However the whites are not all protein. There is about .4 grams of carbs per egg white.
    The yokes contain all the fat(about 5.6 grams an egg)

BTW the egg whites are almost twice the size as the yok(33-vs-17 grams)
    Caleb Donnelly

I wrote this.

-Teamwork is good,
    you can blame someone else

bHsRassler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For breakfast would it be ok to eat 3 eggs(total) but only use one egg yolk, a couple slices of turkey bacon, and a glass of milk?

Right now I'm real big into changing my diet(not cutting nor bulking) and eating healthier. And a bowl of cheerios in the morning isn't my idea of a complete breakfast.

Warrior8148 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Warrior8148 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Warrior8148 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    heres the complete nutritional info on an egg

http://www.enc-online.org/eggnutr.htm

sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah that makes sense. The yolk of an egg has more fat than the whole egg. Is that a mistake or something on that link?
    If you always talk about how you could be in great shape if you just worked out and ate right, why don't you just work out and eat right?

Dubbl Dawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by sfetaz
    Yeah that makes sense. The yolk of an egg has more fat than the whole egg. Is that a mistake or something on that link?
    Probably not a statistically significant mistake. If it was much higher then it would probably be due to error in lipid testing of the two different units.

Or it could just be a typo.

Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Remember, cholesterol is a precursor to steroid hormones. If your diet is low-cholesterol, especially when mixed with intense weight training, your testerone levels and sex drive will suffer.

Personally, I have eggs a little later in the day, usually somewhere along the lines of 6 whites + 1 yold + some form of low-moderate glycemic carbs and perhaps skim milk, usually aiming between 30 - 80g protein per meal, and egg whites are a great protein source. A yolk (200mg cholesterol?) or two certainly won't have any harmful effects unless you have a history of cholesterol problems, in which case you should consult with a doctor.