NoGloryInDefeat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoGloryInDefeat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NoGloryInDefeat's "Get Fit Or Die Tryin" Log

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to take a look at my journal. I am a 21 year old working college student and am currently 6'1 and 370lbs. With that said i'm sure I don't have to tell you what this journal is going to be about, but i'll outline my goals for the sake of it. My goal is to take this 370lb frame and get it down to a much healthier 200-200lb frame. My dream come true would be to get a low enough BF % that I'd be able to see some muscle. Going from flabby to cut would be amazing to me.

What you can expect from this journal is the usual staples of my diet and eating habits, my work out routines, and most importantly my progress. I'll also be adding in my own little insights now and then about how it's going which will most likely be humorous in nature because that's just the type of person I am/

One of my main reasons for doing this journal is because i've tried losing the fat before but have always yo yo'd. I'm hoping with the support from this board and knowing that others are viewing my progress it'll be a push for me to stay on track.

Lastly, I appreciate all comments and useful advice you're willing to share with me and hope you enjoy this journal as much as i'll enjoy seeing the progress unfold.
    Last edited by NoGloryInDefeat; 07-26-2007 at 01:14 PM.

NoGloryInDefeat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoGloryInDefeat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Day 1: July 25th, 2007

Day One: It Begins

The Menu

My Thoughts: Today was not easy! I was hungry so many times during the day I think I lost count. Isn't it funny when you're hungry and trying to eat healthy like everything sounds really damn delicious. Even if normally you wouldnt be half interested in it, it sounds really really good to you now. Seriously hating Chilis right now, they shouldn't be allowed to put something as delicious as honey chipotle fried chicken crispers on TV specially during lunch time, bastards. The times for me when I was the hungriest was the break between 8:45AM and 12PM and 8PM to Midnight. Going to have to try and find something healthy to eat in between those times to keep the stomach from grumbling. Also was thinking maybe drinking more water would help with that also. Forgot to calculate all the total calories, carbs and fats of my meals today but will be sure to get it for Day 2.

8:45AM:Casein protein, EFA
    12:00PM:Whey protein, 2 slices of turkey wrapped in a wheat tortilla, EFA
    12:30PM:Multivitamin
    4:00PM:Whey protein, 2 slices of turkey wrapped in a wheat tortilla
    8:00PM:Wheat pasta shells with turkey, EFA
    12:00AM:Casein protein, ZMA

The Workout

My Thoughts:Let me start off by saying the gym can be a tough place to go to when your a fat man. Lets start off with some of the people in it, first off is it just me or do a lot of fine girls go to the gym?! But I guess that makes sense because thats how they stay that way. Nothing like coming into the gym with my frumpy sweats on and walking by all the ladies who wouldnt give me the time of day, but you know, it is motivation haha. Then there's the weight room, or as I like to think of it "my inferiority complex materalized room". Half the people in there had arms bigger then my chest (which is saying something because i'm pretty damn big!) I felt like a bouncer was going to stop me at the door if I tried to walk in there "Listen you're not allowed in the weight room till you can press 300, come back when you can". So I decided to try my hand at the treadmill, I found a spot in between two track stars(ugh!) set it to a slow setting to start with figured this would be more my speed. Started off pretty good, so decided to add a little speed SCREECH! I pause for a minute, ignore it, get back into it, SCREECH!. Now i'm curious so I look down and it appears i'm so heavy the belt is stopping with each of my heavy steps (gah damn!), luckily no one noticed since everyone was wearing an IPod like they hand them out at the door or something. Thats when I found the elliptical, it's my new best friend. As for the weight training aspect I tried my hand at what they call "circuit training" its a series of weight machines that supposedly work a good portion of your body. Sounds like a good starting point for me as I have no idea what barbell/dumbell exercises I should do or even how to do them. So with all that said on to the workout:

Weights:
    Chest Press: 12 reps:4 sets
    Bicep Curl: 12 reps:4 sets
    Fixed Pulldown: 12 reps:4 sets
    Seated Leg Curl: 12 reps:4 sets
    Seated Leg Press:12 reps:4 sets
    Leg Extension:12 reps:4 sets
    Tricep Extension:12 reps:4 sets
    Shoulder Press:12 reps:4 sets

Cardio:
    Elliptical:50 Minutes

The Progress

My Thoughts: One of the hardest parts has already been started. I've commited myself to changing myself for the better. All I have to do is keep following through.

Starting Weight:370

Total Weight Loss:0

Current Weight:370

Last edited by NoGloryInDefeat; 07-26-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey, I just wanted to stop by and say welcome to the forum!

I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey, and if you have any questions -- feel free to drop me a line!
    Schlot16's Workout Journal: The Journey Continues
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170330081

Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome!

Stick around and post in your log daily. It will help keep you in check. You will have good and bad days, but you just need to keep moving forward. Look at this as a 12 month journey.

Have a good one.
    My Will Is Hot Molten Lava

cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First off....let me just say welcome!!!
    Warm fuzzy Wekcome

We good know....

Ok, getting into kicking ass gear
    Just to let you know, I say it like it is and don't sugercoat...bark but don't bite

Anyway...your diet need work and I believe that is why you were hungy so many times today you couldn't count..just quoting you.
    Do you know the total of calories you are getting in?Do you know the macros P/C/F? If yes, please post
    If no...please find out www.fitday.com might be a great start.

Now can you give me you weekly workout schedule!
    Post it for me, like monday : Chest and you will do bench Press Incline Press etc.
    From what I can see is that you were trying to to a whole body workout...but missing some elements.

So please clarify.

And everything I post...rude or insentive as they might be....was meant with the best intentions
    My journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112815821

Day 2: July 26th, 2007

Day Two: Like One..But Better!

The Menu

My Thoughts: Its becoming more apparent I need to get my diet in order because its a mess. I know a diet is the intregal part of losing fat and if it's not in order I have a long road ahead of me. Going to do some research and hopefully come up with a meal plan thatyll work for me and is something I can stick too.

12:00PM:Whey protein, 2 slices of chicken breast between wheat bread
    12:30PM:Multivitamin
    4:00PM:Whey protein, 2 slices of chicken breast between wheat bread
    8:00PM:chopped up roasted chicken in a wheat tortilla wrap, EFA
    12:00AM:Casein protein, ZMA

The Workout

My Thoughts:Felt a little more comfortable in the gym now that I know where everything is and just how much I can lift. Got a little winded around the 40min mark on the cardio but managed to get through it. Thinking just like the meal plan I need to get something routine here. Just another thing to work on, for now did the same exercises I did yesterday.

Weights:

Cardio:

The Progress

My Thoughts: Where I stand now, I still have things to learn as far as effectively losing weight goes. It's only my second day on it so I imagine the rookie mistake are to almost be expected, but its nothing that cant be corrected. We'll see how it goes on Day 3.

NoGloryInDefeat's "Get Fit Or Die Tryin" Losing Fat Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3842531
    Everyday Is Just Another New Challenge

Originally Posted by cawiau View Post
    First off....let me just say welcome!!!
    Warm fuzzy Wekcome

We good know....

Ok, getting into kicking ass gear
    Just to let you know, I say it like it is and don't sugercoat...bark but don't bite

Anyway...your diet need work and I believe that is why you were hungy so many times today you couldn't count..just quoting you.
    Do you know the total of calories you are getting in?Do you know the macros P/C/F? If yes, please post
    If no...please find out www.fitday.com might be a great start.

Now can you give me you weekly workout schedule!
    Post it for me, like monday : Chest and you will do bench Press Incline Press etc.
    From what I can see is that you were trying to to a whole body workout...but missing some elements.

So please clarify.

And everything I post...rude or insentive as they might be....was meant with the best intentions
    First off, thanks for reading and responding, appreciate it. I agree my diet needs work big time, the first two days were rough, especially as a person whose always been a frequent snacker, was hard to nip it out of my eating. Now to your questions, as to do I know the amount of calories i'm getting the answer is no, was going to do that yesterday but got busy; will try and do it tonight. As for the the macros P/C/F I can honestly say I don't have the faintest idea what they are what they stand for so it looks like I'll be taking a trip to www.fitday.com later.

My weekly workout schedule is, I don't have one. Right now what you saw in Day 1 is what i'm probably going to do all week unless I find something that changes it. What I have been doing is the circuit which is those machines listed above, its a "supposed" full body workout so thats what I was leaning towards, but as you say it appears to be missing some. As for the rest of the workout it always includes 50mins of cardio on an elliptical.

Once again thanks for responding and I appreciate any advice you'd be willing to share.
    NoGloryInDefeat's "Get Fit Or Die Tryin" Losing Fat Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3842531

Day 3: July 27th, 2007

Day Three: Becoming Routine

The Menu

My Thoughts:Thanks to advice from Cawiau I was able to look at my meals from a nutritional and numerical value instead of just the names of what I was eating. With his recommendation of checking out www.fitday.com I was able to enter in my meals for today and get my calories and P/C/F. I'm also thinking its time to start looking for more food options because right now I'm eating the same meal 3 times a day most days. Going to need to get some variety so I don't get bored and tired of it and risk the chance of cheating. With that said here's what's on the menu today

12:30PM:Whey protein, 2 slices of chicken breast wrapped in a wheat tortilla
    1:00PM:Multivitamin
    4:30PM:Whey protein, 2 slices of chicken breast wrapped in a wheat tortilla
    8:00PM:2 slices of chicken breast wrapped in a wheat tortilla, EFA
    12:30AM:Casein protein, ZMA

Calories:1093 Fats:13(11%) Carbs:106(36%) Protein:138(53%)

The Workout

My Thoughts:Workout felt good today, think my body is starting to get used to the torture I'm putting it through. Strangely enough the only thing that hurts is my left leg. It started bugging me around the 40 minute of the cardio (same placement as last time). Added some more machines to my workout to try and balance it out a little better. Still think it needs some work though, advice appreciated!

Weights:
    Ab Crunches:12 reps:2 sets
    Seated Row:12 reps:2 sets
    Back Extension: 12 reps:2 sets
    Torso Rotation: 12 reps:2 sets

Cardio:

The Progress

My Thoughts:Still have lots to learn and work on but I'd say its getting better as opposed to getting worse. The weekend might be difficult for me as I tend to goof off more on the weekends. Will still be hitting the gym though so hopefully that'll keep me in line. Let's see what happens

cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000)

Red face The Mean Man Is Back!!!!

Originally Posted by NoGloryInDefeat View Post
    Calories:1093
    I am about to explode
    Breathe! Breathe ! Breath!

Ok, guess I can be fully mad at you because at least you used fitday.
    But a 1093 calories??????
    Bro, you are a man, 6ft at that and more than 300 lbs
    SO you need to eat like One

Please read below...I am begging you

Originally Posted by boyscouT View Post

boyscouT's Beginners Guide to Dieting/Training/Supplementation
    QUESTIONS? COMMENTS? FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR INPUT, JUST CLICK.

Q: What are calories?
    A: A calorie is a unit of measurement for energy. All foods are measured in calories.

Q: How many calories do I need per day?
    A: Two-step process. First, you need to calculate your basal metabolic rate. Second, multiply your BMR with the appropriate activity modifier. The end result will yield an ESTIMATE of your daily caloric needs.

Q: What are macronutrients?
    A: A category of nutrients, including carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, that are present in foods in large quantities.

Q: What should my macronutrients look like?
    A: I recommend at least: 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, 15% of your total caloric intake to come from fat, and the rest coming from carbohydrates.

Q: Why do we need to eat carbohydrates?
    A: We need carbohydrates for:
    • Carbohydrates are the body?s main source of fuel
    • Carbohydrates are easily used by the body for energy
    • All of the tissues and cells in our body can use glucose for energy
    • Carbohydrates are needed for the central nervous system, the kidneys, the brain, the muscles (including the heart) to function properly
    • Carbohydrates can be stored in the muscles and liver and later used for energy
    • Carbohydrates are important in intestinal health and waste elimination [1]
    Q: Why do we need to eat proteins?
    A: We need proteins for:
    • Growth (especially important for children, teens, and pregnant women)
    • Tissue repair
    • Immune function
    • Making essential hormones and enzymes
    • Energy when carbohydrate is not available
    • Preserving lean muscle mass [1]
    Q: Why do we need to eat fat?
    A: We need fats for:
    • Normal growth and development
    • Maintaining the functioning of hormones which are needed in fat burning, muscle building, sperm production, etc
    • Energy (fat is the most concentrated source of energy)
    • Absorbing certain vitamins (like vitamins A, D, E, K, and carotenoids)
    • Providing cushioning for the organs
    • Maintaining cell membranes
    • Providing taste, consistency, and stability to foods [1]
    Q: What are some healthy proteins, carbohydrates, and fats?
    A: Proteins:
    • Egg Whites
    • Chicken
    • Turkey
    • Beef
    • Pork
    • Tuna / Salmon / Seafood
    • Tofu
    • Whey protein powder
    • Casein protein powder
    • Essentially most any other source of protein
    Complex Carbohydrates:
    • Oats (ALL KINDS), oat bran, oat bran cereal (I.E. CHEERIOS)
    • Potatoes (ALL KINDS)
    • Rice (ALL KINDS)
    • Pasta (ALL KINDS)
    • Bread (ALL KINDS EXCEPT WHITE BREAD)
    • Beans (ALL KINDS)
    Veggies:
    • Green Leafy Lettuce (ALL KINDS)
    • Broccoli
    • Asparagus
    • Green Beans
    • Spinach
    • Bell Peppers
    • Brussels Sprouts
    • Cauliflower
    • Celery
    • Cucumber
    • Green or Red Pepper
    • Onions
    • Garlic
    • Tomatoes
    • Zucchini
    Fruits:
    • Bananas
    • Apples
    • Grapefruit
    • Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
    • Lemons/Limes
    Fats: DO NOT FEAR FAT!Dairy:
    • Milk (ALL KINDS)
    • Cottage Cheese (LOW-FAT or FAT FREE)
    • Yogurt (LOW-FAT or FAT FREE)
    Q: Which foods should I avoid?
    A: Man-made trans fatty acids, non-diet soda, obvious junk, and high fructose corn syrup (in excess).

Q: My food doesn't have any nutritional labeling. Where can I get its nutrition info?
    A: www.nutritiondata.com

Q: How many meals should I eat daily?
    A: There is no set # of meals. Just keep in mind that smaller and more frequent meals are better than larger, less frequent meals.

Q: I've got my calories. I've got my macros. I know WHAT to eat, but I don't know WHEN. Can you help?
    A: Yes I can, keep reading.

Q: What should my first meal look like?
    A: At the very least, you want a complete protein and complex carbohydrate. Fat is optional here.

Q: What do I eat before/during/after a workout?
    A: PRE, DURING, & POSTWORKOUT NUTRITION

Q: I heard that anything you eat before bed will automatically turn into fat. Is this true? If not, what do I eat before bed?
    A: Absolutely not true. Allocating enough calories for a bedtime meal is crucial! You want a slow digesting protein and a healthy fat here. This will keep your metabolism running and your body in an anabolic state during sleep.

Q: What should the rest of my meals look like?
    A: Use common sense. Every meal should be high in protein. Your job is to decide if you want carbohydrates and/or fat, along with that protein. If you are still confused, scroll down for a sample meal plan.

Q: What is cutting? What is bulking? What is maintaining?
    A: Cutting is dieting with a calorie deficit and training with the goal of maximum fat loss with minimal muscle loss. Bulking is dieting with a calorie surplus and training with the goal of maximum muscle gain with minimal fat gain. Maintaining is dieting and training with the goal of sustaining your levels of lean mass and fat.

Q: How do I know if I have to cut? Bulk?
    A: Post a picture and we will assist you.

Q: When cutting, how big should my calorie deficit be?
    A: For most, the smaller the deficit, the better. There are exceptions to this, however. Simply put, the more body fat you have, the bigger your deficit can be. A good starting point is -200 calories.

Q: When bulking, how big should my calorie surplus be?
    • For males:
      • A: No more than 500 calories.
    • For females:
      • A: No more than 300 calories.
    Q: I've read your entire guide but I still don't know how to make a meal plan. Can you make me one?
    A: Meal Plan Template:

Reminder/Important tips:
    • At least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight
    • At least 15% of your calories should come from healthy fats (40% POLYUNSATURATED, 30% MONOUNSATURATED, & 30% SATURATED)
    • Carbs are up to you (I PREFER TO KEEP COMPLEX CARBS AT BREAKFAST, PREWORKOUT, AND POSTWORKOUT)
    Other important tips:
    • Meal size & frequency are not set in stone. (SMALLER/MORE FREQUENT MEALS YIELDS FOR OPTIMAL ABSORPTION OF NUTRIENTS & STABLE BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS)
    • Eat your fruits & veggies!
    • Drink at least 1 gallon of pure water a day
    Q: What training program should I start with? How many days a week? What exercises? How many sets/reps?
    A: You will find plenty of beginners routines in the Workout Programs section. I recommend starting with this routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224.

Q: I'm bulking, so I don't have to do any cardio, right?
    A: Wrong! Cardio isn't just for burning calories. It has a plethora of health benefits. Do your cardio year round!

Q: What's a refeed? How do they compare to a cheat?
    A: A refeed is one day a week where you have a calorie surplus. Meaning you eat a little bit more then you would normally eat for the day. This does not mean to go out and eat fast food or junk food. It means eating the same foods you would eat on a day to day basis but in larger amounts. Refeeds help in a number of ways including balancing hormone levels out, restoring glycogen to your muscles and it may even help bring your metabolism back up to par. Cheat refeeds are different and involve eating junk food all day and is not recommended.
    My journal:

Angry ..........

Weights:

Cardio:

Ok, are those free weights are you are using the machine?
    Have you come up with a program already or not yet?
    Try visiting the workout section in the forum or on the bodybuilding.com welcome paghe.

You need a workout program that will go with your time.
    How many days can you workout per week?
    How much time can you reserve to lifting weights...not including cardio?

See where I am getting at.
    My journal:

Haha Hey Cawiau thanks again for being so hard on me these things help. I've changed my diet around for what I believe to be the better thanks to a few threads here, people's advice and FitDay. Heres my new diet statistics:

Calories:2098 Protein:199(39%) Carbs: 212(38%) Fat:54(24%)

Much improved over the old one I believe which was practically starvation. As for my workout i've been doing some reading in the workout programs section and decided to go with the Rippetoe - Starting Strength routine which I will be starting on Monday. I think these two things are a vast improvement over my old ones. Feel free to let me know what you think.

Calories:2098 Protein:199(39%) Carbs: 212(38%) Fat:54(24%)
    I am in 290's and I eat about 3000 calories a day and 2800 on off days.
    You weight more than me...so 2000 calories is way to low. So please find your maintenance level than cut 500 calories from that.
    That is not all. You need 1g of protein for each lb you weight. So that is at least 370 g of protein each day. So you need to up your protein to at least 40-50%.
    Try something like 50% Protein / 20% Carb / 30% Fat
    THis is what I am going for now.

Much improved over the old one I believe which was practically starvation. As for my workout i've been doing some reading in the workout programs section and decided to go with the Rippetoe - Starting Strength routine which I will be starting on Monday. I think these two things are a vast improvement over my old ones. Feel free to let me know what you think.

Good luck with Ripptoe. I heard good things about it.
    Take care.
    My journal:

quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As writing is my hobby, I LOVED your narration of your ordeal at the gym... I felt your pain! lol

Anyway, to be honest I feel your diet is out of sorts. What I recommend for now is up your calories to a little below your maintenence and eat clean and with common sense.

The introduction of physical activity alone should induce weight/fat loss. At a rate you're going, many would crash.

Out of curiosity, before your started your diet, what was your typical day of eating like?

TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hello all and thank you for taking the time to take a look at my journal. I am a 21 year old working college student and am currently 6'1 and 370lbs. With that said i'm sure I don't have to tell you what this journal is going to be about, but i'll outline my goals for the sake of it. My goal is to take this 370lb frame and get it down to a much healthier 200-200lb frame. My dream come true would be to get a low enough BF % that I'd be able to see some muscle. Going from flabby to cut would be amazing to me.

What you can expect from this journal is the usual staples of my diet and eating habits, my work out routines, and most importantly my progress. I'll also be adding in my own little insights now and then about how it's going which will most likely be humorous in nature because that's just the type of person I am/

One of my main reasons for doing this journal is because i've tried losing the fat before but have always yo yo'd. I'm hoping with the support from this board and knowing that others are viewing my progress it'll be a push for me to stay on track.

Lastly, I appreciate all comments and useful advice you're willing to share with me and hope you enjoy this journal as much as i'll enjoy seeing the progress unfold.
    I'm a little late, but I'm here and subscribed.

btw, I am on my 14th week of Rippetoes SS, so if you have any questions, shoot me a pm.
    Last edited by TheKansan; 07-29-2007 at 06:54 AM.

Day 4: July 28th, 2007

Day Four: Diet Is On Track - No More Starvin Like Marvin

The Menu

My Thoughts:After getting absolutely eaten alive and destroyed for how terrible my diet was I dedicated all yesterday to getting a balanced diet thanks to board recommendations and one of my new favorite websites www.fitday.com I was able to add over 100 protein and a 1000 needed calories to my diet. 1000 Calories apparently is far too low for a 370lb man and was probably the cause of all my hunger attacks like I described in Day 1 & 2. So after finding more healthy things I could eat (especially veggies) I was able to eat a lot more and still feel like I wasn't eating badly. So I went to the grocery store picked up some new items and had a lot more fun eating healthy then I have the past couple of days. Now it's on to working on establishing a good 40/40/20 balance, it looks a bit of a mess today because I went out shopping to get more food and the day was almost over

12:30PM:Casein Protein, EFA, Chicken breast sandwich on wheat, Veggies
    1:00PM:Multivitamin, Smokehouse Almonds
    4:30PM:Whey protein, Brown rice with chicken pieces, Veggies, EFA
    6:00PM:Smokehouse Almonds
    8:00PM:Skippy all natural peanut butter sandwich, yoplait low fat very vanilla yogurt, Veggiesc EFA
    12:30AM:Casein protein,Almonds, ZMA

Calories:2200Fats:128(52%) Carbs:137(20%) Protein:161(29%)

The Workout

My Thoughts:Decided to do some research on a workout routine too yesterday as my current one can only lead to burnout. After doing some research i've decided i want to try Rippetoes - Starting Strength routine. Never done any of the exercises involved in that so we'll see how it goes, will be starting that on Monday so one more day on this crazy schedule of mine.

Weights:

Cardio:

The Progress

My Thoughts:I'm learning more and more each day I've been dedicated to losing weight. I know I still have a lot to learn but this seems to be the right place to do it. Getting a lot of good advice from the members here and learning a lot from others logs that hopefully people will be able to look at mine one day and say the same thing.

I am in 290's and I eat about 3000 calories a day and 2800 on off days.
    You weight more than me...so 2000 calories is way to low. So please find your maintenance level than cut 500 calories from that.
    That is not all. You need 1g of protein for each lb you weight. So that is at least 370 g of protein each day. So you need to up your protein to at least 40-50%.
    Try something like 50% Protein / 20% Carb / 30% Fat
    THis is what I am going for now.

Good luck with Ripptoe. I heard good things about it.
    Take care.
    Hey Cawiau, I calculated my maintenance and subtracted 500 from it and ended up around 3200! 3200 seems like a ton of calories, I'm not even sure I can force myself to eat that much, all this healthy stuff makes it hard to get a ton of calories in. As for the protein I'll work on getting 370g of protein a day but that just seems like "a lot!" of protein. I'd be eating chicken with every meal of the day to get that much with shakes included! I thought about having two scoops of protein per shake but that's going to drain the tubs down fast and ill be out buying protein powder like a maniac. 50/20/30 is a nice balance though, right now was aiming for 40/40/20 but i'm always open to ideas.

As for Rippetoes it sounds good for me being that it said the word novice and thats exactly what I am. Will see how it goes!

Originally Posted by quest-x View Post
    As writing is my hobby, I LOVED your narration of your ordeal at the gym... I felt your pain! lol

Anyway, to be honest I feel your diet is out of sorts. What I recommend for now is up your calories to a little below your maintenence and eat clean and with common sense.

The introduction of physical activity alone should induce weight/fat loss. At a rate you're going, many would crash.

Out of curiosity, before your started your diet, what was your typical day of eating like?
    Haha thanks for reading, and thanks for feeling my pain, *sniffles* it's nice to know I'm not alone. My diet being out of sorts I agree with you 100%! I know I was recommended to try a low caloric intake diet by my doctor (he wanted me to try and stay under 1500 calories a day), it just makes me too hungry and i just know I'll risk cheating if I stayed that low. Eating clean as possible for the calories I eat it though, it's different but I'm getting used to it.

As for my workout I'm damned surprised I haven't crashed yet. But I think I want to do this so bad I've been more then willing to push myself to do it. Luckily I think I've found a routine that's going to work for me so I won't be risking a burnout as much.

As for before I started dieting here was my typical meal day:

Breakfast: Nothing
    Lunch: Wouldn't eat my first meal till around 2-3pm which would always be drive-thru, a lot of the times McDonalds and my meal would consist of 2 Double Cheeseburgers, Large Fry, Large Soda, and McNuggets.
    Dinner: Sometimes I wouldn't even have dinner, though sometimes if I got hungry i'd go out and get more fast food.

It was a mess

Originally Posted by TheKansan View Post
    I'm a little late, but I'm here and subscribed.

btw, I am on my 14th week of Rippetoes SS, so if you have any questions, shoot me a pm.
    Thanks TheKansan, if I decide to go ahead with this Rippetoes SS routine, all questions shall be directed to you

batmanvtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) batmanvtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) batmanvtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) batmanvtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) batmanvtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) batmanvtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good deal. So whats your total dailies looking like?
    Calories...etc? Once the diet is good, the rest is not so bad.

Keep up the good work and enjoy yourself. Make it fun or it will take longer to achieve. Im here for you if you need some help/motivation.
    "Rangers Lead The Way"

3rd Ranger BN (99-01)

Meeting your goals head on is an issue of "Mind over Matter! If you don't mind, then it don't matter! Now get your ass moving!" -Sergeant First Class Ed Sealy

Day 5: July 29th, 2007

Day Five: Workout Is On Track

The Menu

My Thoughts:The difference between how I was eating on the first days compared to these last days is like night and day. For one i'm never hungry anymore, i've never felt like I had to eat until right after my workout, because right after my workout my body went nuts for food, it was pretty crazy wondering if it was normal, it wouldn't stop until I gave it protein. Its like my muscles were screaming "Feed Me Seymour!" (5pts if you catch the reference). I had some leftover spare ribs from when I had gone to P.F. Chang's so I figured this was the best time to eat them, bad I know but...ya...*sulks* Other then that a pretty good day for the meal plan!:

11:30PM:Kellogg's Smart Start Cereal with Soy Milk, EFA
    12:00:Multivitamin
    2:00:Whey Protein
    4:30PM:PF Chang's Spare Ribs (*whistles innocently*), EFA, Veggies, Whey Protein
    6:00PM:Yopliat Very Vanilla LowFat Yogurt
    8:00PM:Sunkist Lemon Pepper Tuna on Wheat Bread, Veggies, Almonds, EFA
    12:30AM:Casein protein,ZMA

Calories:2313Fats:90(36%) Carbs:155(25%) Protein:218(39%)

The Workout

My Thoughts:So I went into the gym hoping to get one of the people who worked there to help me get my form correct on the Rippetoes program. I listed off the exercises from Workout A (Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts) he knew the first two but admitted he wasn't the best at Deadlifts since he didn't do them himself and that it would be better for the trainer there who was a powerlifter to help me with those, only bad part was he didn't work that day. It was a Sunday, slow day, so he decided to give me a training session free of charge, he showed me the chest workout he does, and it goes a little somethin like this(also added in 20 minutes of cardio to end it all, I like getting a bit of cardio in, thinkng of trying HIIT cardio once I find a guide on it though if someone wants to explain it to me, all the better):

Weights:
    Bench Press:6 reps:4 sets
    Dumbbell Press:6 reps:4 sets
    Incline Dumbbell Press:6 reps:4 sets
    HammerStrength Iso-Lateral Incline Press(Machine):6 reps:4 sets
    Pec Fly(Machine):6 reps:4 sets
    Pec Fly + Push Ups:Burnout!

Cardio:
    Elliptical:20 Minutes

The Progress

My Thoughts:I feel like i'm finally on point with my diet and workout. It took a few days but it was a good learning process. Now that I have the basis down I can really refine and pinpoint any troublespots and shape them up and turn this into a high quality diet/workout program.

You need to eat more!!!
    I know it look like alot of food and goes against everything we have been told about dieting.
    But it works...increase your metabolism, have energy to kill and you don't starve yourself!!!

At least give it a try!
    My journal:

You need to eat more!!!
    I know it look like alot of food and goes against everything we have been told about dieting.
    But it works...increase your metabolism, have energy to kill and you don't starve yourself!!!

At least give it a try!
    Calculated my maintenance its 3556. So subtracted by 500 and rounding off that would make it 3000!!! That seems like a ton of calories right there. Not sure I can eat that much in a day but it's nice to know that I could haha.

Calculated my maintenance its 3556. So subtracted by 500 and rounding off that would make it 3000!!! That seems like a ton of calories right there. Not sure I can eat that much in a day but it's nice to know that I could haha.
    At least I tried

Good luck bro
    My journal:

At least I tried

Good luck bro
    haha didn't say i wouldn't try just said it'd be hard

Day 6: July 30th, 2007

Day Six: Time To Meet Mr.Scale

The Menu

My Thoughts:My body is still getting used to eating healthy. Sometimes when i'm really bored I swear I can hear my brain and my stomach having a conversation (crazy I know). I can hear them arguing the stomach wants a big mac, the brain says no, but let's leave my crazy ramblings for another time. Ate like crazy today, it's starting to become like clockwork when each meal comes and my body knows it:

8:45AM:Casein Protein, Peanut Butter Sandwich on Wheat Bread, Yoplait Yogurt,EFA
    11:30AM:Peanut Butter Sandwich on Wheat Bread
    12:00PM:Multivitamin
    12:30PM:Whey Protein x2
    1:45PM:Whey Proteinx2
    3:00PM:Brown Rice /w Chicken seasoned with Zataran's Creole and Red Devil Hot Sauce, Veggies, EFA
    6:00PM:Yogurt
    8:00PM:4 slices of Turkey on Wheat Bread /w Jack Daniels Mustard, Chili Verde Almonds, EFA, Veggies
    12:30AM:Casein protein,ZMA

Calories:2503Fats:66(24%) Carbs:226(33%) Protein:261(42%)

The Workout

My Thoughts:Searched around on the forums, found a guide on HIIT cardio from musclemedia.com decided to give it a try today. It whooped my ass. Badly. But I managed to get through it just had to peel myself off the floor after, gasping for air, barely able to stand. I guess that's why they call it working out! (bada dum dum!). I know you're supposed to try and just do HIIT cardio on HIIT cardio days but I snuck some ab work in, workout gods do not forsake me for I was weak!:

Weights:
    Abdomial:6 reps:4 sets
    Torso Rotation:6 reps:4 sets
    Abdominal Crunch:6 reps:4 sets
    Ab Crunches(Machine) + Ab Crunches:Burnout!

Cardio:
    HIIT Cardio:5 minutes warmup, 4 intervals

The Progress

My Thoughts:If you happened to notice the title of this day then you'd see the word scale so I'm sure your waiting to find out the weight loss. I happened to be going to pick up more healthy food and they have a scale there, I couldn't resist, I had to weigh myself. Needless to say i'm very happy with the result and it's even more motivation for me now:

Total Weight Loss:6

Current Weight:364

Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schlot16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nice job so far! Keep it up!
    Schlot16's Workout Journal: The Journey Continues
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170330081

good job on the weight loss so far...doing great!
    Keep up the good work
    My journal:

Day 7: July 31st, 2007

Day Seven: One Week Down

The Menu

My Thoughts:One week down and it's starting to become routine. Had a busy day today but wasn't too busy to eat healthy. Most calories i've eaten today since i've started not sure how to feel about that but since my maintence is 3500 I think i'm still in the clear. Worst day yet though for my diet and ran out of Casein Protein, this makes me sad =(.

8:45AM:Kellogg's Caramel Crunch In Soymilk, EFA
    11:30AM:HMR Chicken Pasta
    12:30PM:Whey Protein x2
    1:45PM:Whey Proteinx2
    3:00PM:Brown Rice /w Chicken seasoned with Zataran's Creole and Red Devil Hot Sauce, Veggies, EFA
    6:00PM:Ground Beef On Wheat x2
    8:00PM:Kellogg's Caramel Crunch Cereal,EFA, Veggies
    12:30AM:ZMA

Calories:2720 Fats:53(19%) Carbs:327(52%) Protein:181(29%)

The Workout

My Thoughts:Today was Lats/Biceps/Forearms. I'm liking a split workout a lot more I must say:

Weights:
    Low Row:6 reps:4 sets
    Isolated Row:6 reps:4 sets
    Standing Forearm Curl:6 reps:4 sets
    Dumbbell Curls:6reps:4sets
    Barbell Curls:6reps:4sets
    Bicep Curls:Burnout!

The Progress

My Thoughts:My worst diet day yet (damn you Kellogg's Caramel Crunch Cereal!!!), but I found a way to get rid of that temptation (it took a express flight to the garbage). I'm going to have to learn to better deal with temptation because this is something I really want. Focused on doing better tomorrow, I know I can.

Day 8: August 1st, 2007

Day Eight: Eating Healthy And Working Out Make Homer Go....Something....Something...

The Menu

My Thoughts:Today's menu showed a lot of improvement over yesterday, after my disposal of a cereal that's too damn good for its own good (Kellogg's Caramel Nut Crucnch! Die! Die! Die!). My main focus now is trying to sneak more Protein in anyway I can so I can get more to a 50/20/30 like Cawiau reccomened earlier:

8:45AM:HMR Chicken Pasta, EFA
    11:30AM:HMR Chicken Pasta
    12:30PM:Yogurt
    1:30PM:Whey Protein x2
    2:45PM:Whey Proteinx2
    4:00PM:Brown Rice /w Chicken seasoned with Zataran's Creole and Red Devil Hot Sauce, Veggies, EFA
    6:00PM:Yogurt
    8:00PM:4 Turkey Slices & Turkey Bacon On Wheat, Almonds, EFA, Veggies
    12:30AM:ZMA

Calories:2107 Fats:52(23%) Carbs:207(38%) Protein:205(39%)

The Workout

My Thoughts:Today was Shoudlers/Triceps/Traps. I will honestly say i've never felt my muscle known as "traps" untill today. Interesting!

Weights:
    Barbell Shrugs:6 reps:4 sets
    Tricep Pulldown:6 reps:4 sets
    Sitting Military Press:6 reps:4 sets
    Isolated Shoulder Press:6reps:4sets
    Cable Crossovers:6reps:4sets
    Lateral Raise:Burnout!

Cardio:
    Dance Dance Revolution:30mins (Yes, you read that right, Dance Dance Revolution, wanna fight about it?!)

The Progress

My Thoughts:Much improved over yesterday. I know if I stay on track I will see results. The only thing I know I'm going to need more of is more protein. Also my recovery seems to be taking about 4 days to lose the soreness, not bad I say.