In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Quicky - How Long Can You Keep Prepped Beans

Hi All,

Having recently added beans to my diet I find them a wonderful addition. I have been using canned beans, but these have tons of salt, many have HFCS and added sugars and there is not much variety of canned beans. I would thus like to make my own. I can get plenty of raw beans such as black, kidney, butter (lima), broad (fava), black-eye, pinto, lentils, chickpeas.

Being kind of anal, I normally always measure out foods before preparing a meal, but this aint exactly possible with beans as they have a long prep time. I thus wanted to know how long beans can be kept once they are prepared.

X

Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Unfortunately only around 3 days.

night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you mean after you have soaked them?
    If so, measure it up the night before and leave them in a bowl to soak, that way they are all ready to eat the next day.

night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Or you can find oraganic tinned beans from health shops, no added salt, sugar, preservative, or anything else you dont want, just beans.

xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi there,

I mean after they are prepared. I know that you have to soak them overnight, and then you boil them for 40-60 minutes (depending on which beans they are). After that, how long can you keep them? Also, if I weight a certain amount out and soak them overnight, how long can they stand like that before the boiling process?

Thanks,
    X

PS. No such luck with the organic or other healthier tinned beans - limited availability here in SA.

burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're going to make them from bulk you should do extra and then put them in a freezer bag laying flat in the freezer and they'll stay good for at least a month. Thats what I do. Comes in handy. Just take them out of the freezer and put them in the fridge the night before you want to use them to defrost them.

Sounds easy enough Burton thanks. Do you put it in the freezer after soaking them or after soaking AND boiling them?

X

I would guess after boiling, otherwise it would be just as easy to soak them overnight I assume.

burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've always done it after boiling them. Let them cool a bit first though. When you're going to have them again boil them for a few more mins. I make a big batch of soup and put them in lots, its good protein and fibre.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For canned beans, I put these in a strainer and wash off the sugars, salt etc.

I keep beans (rice and beans) for up to a week in the refrigerator. When I re-heat them I microwave with a cover to steam them.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf