the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 205 :: Which Supplements Have Stood The Test Of Time?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: Which Supplements Have Stood The Test Of Time?

For the week of: June 25th - June 30th
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

With such outrageous ads, people are persuaded into spending hundreds of dollars upfront for supplements. However, many of these supplements come and go, and only the best stand the test of time.

Which supplements have stood the test of time?

What were some of the biggest fad supplements?

Do you wait a certain amount of time before trying a new supplement, or do you buy it once it hit's the shelves?

* IMPORTANT: Please make sure your responses are original and not copied from previous topics.

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    With such outrageous ads, people are persuaded into spending hundreds of dollars upfront for supplements. However, many of these supplements come and go, and only the best stand the test of time.

When deciding on using or not using supplements to improve your performance or over-all health, you must consider the following;

#1. Your diet is on track, meaning you're eating enough protein, calaries, carbs and enough meals per day that is recommended for your weight and your body-type.

The three body types are ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph

#2. You have a workout regime that accommodates your body-type and your goal whether your plan is bulking, cutting, and strength training or just to have a healthy lifestyle.

#3. You're getting the appropriate rest each day (7 to 9 hours) to recover properly from your workout routines.

If these 3 things are not met, then supplements are certainly a waste of money in my opinion.

There are what we like to call "staple supplements" which have been proven to be effective and have lasted over time which benefit all athletes, bodybuilders, and people looking to improve their health. Listed below are the "staples" which have standed the test of time and what I feel will continue to be the most important supplements in this sport.

Protein - This is ranked as my #1 Supplement. It is the essential building block for any athlete or person wishing to develop their physical fitness. There are many different types of protein out there to choose from, each with there own specific benefits. The most recognized would be your basic whey protein, which is usually used for a post workout shake to help your body get the proper recovery from intense training. Then there is a casein protein which is a slow releasing protein which is great for in-between meals and before bed, and there are weight gainers which are high in calories and rich in protein to help hard gainers reach there goal body weight. Protein powders are a cheap effective and easy way to reach your nutritional requirements each day and can be taken on the road for people living busy lifestyles.

Average Dosing - 1 gram per pound of body weight
    Recommended Types - Gaspari Nutrition's Myo-Fusion, Xtreme Formulations, and Optimum Nutrition's Whey

Multi-Vitamin - This comes in at a close 2nd place for me. It's hard to admit, but almost every person is guilty of not eating properly each and every day not including the recommended food groups and the needed nutrients for our body's to function normally. A multi-vitamin is an easy way to get all the essential vitamins and minerals into our body's, which helps with our performance, recovery, mood, and health. Deficiencies in some of these vitamins and minerals can lead to severe health problems in life.

Average Dosing - preferably a Multi that is taken 2-3 times per day
    Recommended Types - AST Multi Pro 32x, NOW Adam and Universal Nutrition Animal Pack

Creatine - Creatine is something that is made naturally by the human body, unfortunately it does not produce the amounts we need to see beneficial results. This supplement is great for getting over plateaus and pushing through your athletic goals by increasing your stamina, strength, and cell volumization. Creatine has also been known to retain water in the body, which gives a sense of muscle fullness and size. As with protein, there are many types of creatine, which have specific purposes. You can purchase this product in a mix form where many other products such as Beta-Alanine, Branch Chain Amino Acids and even Caffeine is added to give a better over-all product. You can also purchase this product in its bulk form so you can accurately dose the creatine to your needs. The most common forms of creatine are Mono, Ethyl Ester and Kre-Alkalyn,

Average Dosing - 5-15gm per day
    Recommended Types, MAN Clout, USPLabs Jack3d and Higher Power Bulk Creatine

Fad supplements to me are only ones that have had big hypes in articles and reviews but did not live up to its promises and did not deliver the results. I can only comment on the products I have personally tried and experienced first hand. The following list below is only my personal thoughts and yours may in fact differ from mine.

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) - This product was designed to build muscle and reduce body fat. This seemed to have zero effect for me. I have tried it on numerous occasions ensuring my diet was in check but still resulted in no results.

Colon Cleanses - I personally believe that this will be the next biggest fad in bodybuilding. Your body is made to handle and flush out all of the toxins that are in your system. That is what it is designed to do and it does an excellent job of it.

Ephedrine - This was huge a few years ago until in 2003, Steve Bechler, from the Major League Baseball scene, died from causes related to ephedrine. In this case, the pros do not outweigh the cons and people did not seek products with this ingredient. This is now seen less and less in products as the controversy of its safety remains.

A few Brands which I have seen the "hype" lowered since there release and may be considered "FADS" would have to be Xyience which made a big scene in the MMA and UFC group, BSN until thier lawsuit, and I would say the biggest decline in popularity in a supplement would have to be Cell-Tech. These are again, only my personal views and not an attack on the company or product.

Do you wait a certain amount of time before trying a new supplement, or do you buy it once it hit's the shelves?

When new products hit the market, I am usually a bit sceptical about purchasing it right away. The only exception to this would be which company released the product. There are a few companies out there that I would consider very reputable and I would trust their product on release date with no questions.

New company's into the market or company's that do not have a solid reputation would get some hesitation from me. Supplements are expensive as it is right now each month to purchase a product that could show no results. I would preferably wait two to three months after its release, and do my research on www.bodybuilding.com in the product reviews section or the sponsored logs section. These articles really help in my selection process and also helps people new into the bodybuilding and supplement scene. Of course there are a lot of incorrect information out there so you must read with a grain of salt, however, it is a great place to start.
    Last edited by Armbender; 06-26-2009 at 07:54 AM.
    USPlabs Sponsored Athlete
    http://usplabsdirect.com/

In order to win...you must first learn how to lose...

C.O.C. Grippers #1 - CLOSED
    C.O.C. Grippers #2 - CLOSED

My Training Journal -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110517591

King Of Video Reviews History in Effect's Avatar
    History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When it comes to working out, you are excited the most when you are a beginner and experience great strength gains, increased muscle mass, and better endurance. This is an amazing time in your life until the famous plateau hits. Plateaus hurt you to the point that you don't even want to work out anymore, because you feel you are doing something wrong. Plateaus are a normal part of life, but thankfully things like supplements can come in and help you overcome a minor speed block. Supplements are meant to aid in helping you gain muscle in association with hard training and great nutrition. Keep that in mind that they are meant to "supplement" not replace training and nutrition.

1.Creatine-Creatine by far is the most proven supplement and also the most controversial supplement of all time. People outside the sport think its steroids and will make your body parts shrink. I actually have talked to people who thought creatine was a steroids, but I quickly gave them some great info on creatine. Our body makes it and you can get it in some meats. So we all some creatine in our body in varying degrees

Info On Creatine
    Creatine from my personal experience has allowed me to put on mass, build muscles, and increase strength. I make sure and drink more water on creatine because creatine makes your muscles fuller. This is because creatine pulls fluid into your muscles making them appear bigger.Also, there is a small possibility you might cramp on creatine if you don't take enough water. I say half a gallon or more is suitable to prevent this, so drink up that water.

How Much To Take
    Some People load up on creatine the first five days by taking 20g to saturate the muscles faster and get better results quicker. I just prefer taking 3 to 5 grams a day which your stomach will love better than loading.

What I take
    I prefer the basic creatine monohydrate, but I have taken different times of creatine. Controlled Labs Green Bulge and Gaspari Sizeon contains some of the newer forms of creatine.

Medical Studies on Creatine

May Slow Parkinson's Disease
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0322105343.htm

UV Protection with Creatine
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15675966

2.Protein-Protein is the backbone that helps people recover from workouts and it also helps your muscles grow to bigger heights. There are many different kinds of protein ranging from whey protein to pea protein.

Whey Protein
    Whey protein is one of the best things to take after a grueling workout. Your muscles need to replenished and whey protein is the fuel you take to get them supercharged again. Whey Protein also keeps your body from burning muscle when you are losing fat. Whey protein keeps your body burning fat instead of it. An even better form of whey protein(in my opinion) is the isolate version of it. Whey Isolate is much a purer form, but it is more expensive..so keep that in mind. An added benefit of both is that contain an ample amount of Essential Amino Acids(EAA) and Brainched Chain Amino Acids(BCAAs) which help in preserving and adding muscle

Casein Protein
    Casein protein is a slower protein that is released in the body. The good thing about this is that your body can digest and absorb it better than whey protein. You would take this right before you sleep. It keeps your body anabolic during sleep especially if you got a morning workout.

Other Types
    There are various types of other proteins that I will just list. This is not an all-inclusive list just some proteins I have tried.

Protein List:
    Soy Protein
    Milk Protein
    Gemma Protein
    Artichoke Protein
    Egg Protein

How Much Protein Should you Take
    This can also vary, but for many people it depends on your fitness goals. If you want to be a bodybuilder or something on that nature, you would take in between 1.5 to 2 grams per pound of your bodyweight. This means I would be taking in between 300 and 400 grams of protein a day from not just protein drinks, but lean sources(turkey, chicken, and etc). For regular gals and guys, 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight is more of your speed.

What I take
    Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold Standard, Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide 2.0, and Myonova Cytofuse(has extra goodies) are some of my favs.

Medical Studies on Whey Protein

Whey Protein on the Obese
    http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=2289832
    Whey Isolate vs Casein
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17240782

3.Multivitamin-Multivitamins get no love and that's sad. Well, it is time for people to wake up and smell the coffee. Multivitamins might not be famous in the supplement world as comparable to creatine or whey protein, but they deserve to get some credit. Grueling training is made a lot more satisfying knowing you took a multivitamin which should reduce the chances of injuries.

Debatable on How They Help You
    Multivitamins are also one of the most debatable in whether they work or not. Here are some articles that question the use of multivitamins.

Making Sure they work
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/08/22...ins/index.html
    No Benefits from Multivitamins
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...-multivitamin/

Summary:Research before you take a multi-vitamin. Quality should be of the first concern over quantity and cheap price.

Good Brands To take and Some Ones I Have taken
    Universal Animal Pak
    Controlled Labs Orange Triad
    AOR Ortho-Core

I take the recommended amount as depicted on each specific bottle.

Other Supplements You Could add To This List
    1. Glutamine-amino acid that is shown to help you recover after your workout. It is often one of the most debated products on whether it works or not. I just know after a hard workout, you should take it.

2. BCAAs- your body can't make them, but you can take in supplement form. They also help to lessen protein breakdown. BCAAs were big back in the day and disappeared from the mainstream landscape. Now, they are back to reclaim their glory.

3. Arginine-could be a part of the ones I listed even though some people don't use it all. Arginine boost nitric oxide in the muscle and allows your muscle vessel to get bigger. This translates to more nutrients and vitamins being transported in your body as well as the famous "pump" like Arnold raved about in Pumping Iron. The current research on Arginine supplementation differs with some saying you don't have to take it every day, but rather every other day.

Summary
    These three supplements have stood the test of time since Day One and for good reason. This is a killer beginner's stack and you will see amazing results. One new supplement that will become a part of this list is Beta-alanine. Beta-alanine improves the amount of carnosine in the muscle. The more of it, the more the growth. Beta-alanine allows you to workout harder and longer. You can feel it minutes after taking it due to the infamous "tingles" you get from it. Add beta-alanine in this stack and boom you might want to watch out.
    Last edited by History in Effect; 06-28-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    Georgia Crew
    >>>>Misc Cologne Crew<<<<
    Sperrys and Polos

FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoolontheHill will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    With such outrageous ads, people are persuaded into spending hundreds of dollars upfront for supplements. However, many of these supplements come and go, and only the best stand the test of time. This has a lot to do with human nature and misinformation. A lot of people are willing to try anything if it will get them big and shredded in a rapid amount of time, or at least claims it will. To understand how fad supplements got big you must come to understand why people buy them in the first place. The misinformation spread around is amazing, these are two of the big ways people go awry and waste their money on things like Gamma O:

Word of mouth/Testimonial: A guy will say, "My bro took (supplement x) and got (huge, shredded, extreme physical condition)" and they figure that the supplement must have elicited that effect. The truth of the matter is your bro can't control for variables. He may have changed his diet, exercise, additional supplement use, sleeping patterns. And there is always the ironically well documented placebo effect.

Research done in Irrelevant models: If you're reading this, it's likely that you are a non-obese, resistance trained male between 18-35 (not all of you I know). Studies done in that group of individuals are the most likely to translate to real world results for you. As you move away from your group (i.e Obese, over 50, female, diabetic, animal, test tube) the less likely that results found in a study will actually pertain to you. This is not to say that in vitro (meaning literally "in glass" aka test tube) or animal research wont pertain to you, its just less likely to and you shouldn't buy the new product because it made rats lose 20% body fat.

In short, very few. Also as a note I am not going to be including micro/macronutrients as supplements (i.e protein and carbohydrate powders, or vitamins/minerals) simply because they are essential for functioning. Which is not to say that these are not excellent products, if you are correcting an imbalance or deficiency, these can improve almost every aspect of health & well being. To repeat, in reviewing the following supplements I am assuming that you are receiving adequate amounts of protein, carbohydrates, fats, and various micronutrients through your diet (if you are not, there is a very large portion of this site devoted solely to nutrition) That being said, here are the perennial powerhouse supplements:

#1 Creatine Monohydrate -
    Mechanism of action: Creatine monohydrate is a precursor to a chemical in your body called phosphocreatine, it is used as part of the ATP cycle in muscle. Chemically speaking, phosphocreatine donates its phosphate group to ADP (Adenosine Di-Phosphate) to create Adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP), this is important because the cell derives most of its energy from cleaving the phosphate groups off of this adenosine molecule. All of this essentially means that Anaerobic performance is increased (anaerobic = Not needing oxygen, short bursts, such as weight lifting) . Additionally creatine increases cellular hydration which is one of the main indicators that tells the body to be anabolic or catabolic.
    The Science: Newer research has shown creatine to increase satellite cell activity [1], have anti-oxidant effects[2], and be neuroprotective[2].

As an aside, the form of creatine is not of the utmost importance, as long as it is creatine and around the appropriate dose, but be wary of products that say their form of creatine is superior. The majority of the hundreds of studies done on creatine use the monohydrate form and only one (Creatine Magnesium Chelate) has shown the possibility of being more effective for strength and performance increase. Creatine monohydrate is riduculously cheap, proven safe and effective, and research backed.

Dose: 5g on training days has proven to be effective and circumvents alot of the issues with edema and GI upset that people complain of when they front load it.

#2 Caffeine: [I]Background: Caffeine is the worlds most widely used psychoactive drug. It occurs naturally in many different plants and has been used by humans for literally thousands of years. Homonyms include Trimethylxanthine, guaranine, and mateine.
    Mechanism of Action: Adenosine 1 Receptor Antagonism: The adenosine receptor is involved in the sleep-wake cycle in human beings, when adenosine binds to these receptors it "tells" the body sleep is approaching. Caffeine (because it structurally looks like adenosine) will bind to these receptors and not "tell" it anything. Without the signal to slow down the body puts out more "wakeful" chemicals such as Norepinephrine(fat burning), Adrenaline (fat burning), Dopamine (addiction, reward, attention, sociability etc.) This is a vast oversimplification, but the main point is conveyed.
    Phosphodiesterase inhibition: Phosphodiesterase is an enzyme in the body that breaks down chemicals important in signal transduction(a large part of how chemicals "tell" the body things), one of which being cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate). When this chemical increases, a lot of things happen (I'm gonna spare you the details) evntually leading to an increased rate of lipolysis (fat burning) in the body.
    The Science: Caffeine has been proven to preserve glycogen during bouts of resistance training[4], enhance glycogen repletion following said bouts[5], Increase resting metabolic rate and FFA oxidation [4], dull pain response during training[6], and enhance the hormonal response to training. [7]
    Dose: 200-1000mg/d, depending on desired effects.

Honorable Mentions: These ingredients have promising data behind them but the data on their safety and effectiveness is equivocal, conflicting, or needs to be replicated in relevant human models:

Fat loss :
    Ephedrine HCL
    Green Tea Extract
    Capsaicin
    Evodiamine
    3,3 and 3,5 diidothyronine
    Forskolin
    yohimbine
    sesamin
    7 oxygenated DHEA metabolites
    1,3 dimethylamylamine
    Banaba leaf
    5-HTP

Muscle gain/Retention:
    Prohormones
    Ecdysteroids
    L-Leucine
    Beta-alanine (via increased work capacity)

New ones all the time, quick hits:

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) - While there have been studies in humans that have shown positive results, as a whole the research is conflicting. CLA appears to work best in the obese.

Gamma-Oryzanol Was supposed to be an herbal steroid, eliciting a whole range of endocrine benefits to make you huge. It turned out that wasn't the case.

Tribulus Terrestris - Tribulus and other aphrodisiac herbs have often been purported to boost testosterone levels. This stems from a misunderstanding of the physiological, psychological, and neurochemical and endocrine aspects promoting erection in the human male (much of which is still veiled). To put it bluntly, people assumed that anything that gave you an erection was increasing testosterone. Not only is there no science showing tribulus to boost testosterone, there are studies specifically showing it does nothing for testosterone or body composition in pertinent sample populations.

Dishonorable Mention: Hydroxycitric acid, Growth Hormone Secretagogues, Arginine Alpha Ketogluterate (AAKG), Echinacea, L-DOPA (for GH secretion), Phenylethylamine, Vanadyl Sulfate.

Personally, as I am a bit of a science nerd and my finances are not inexhaustable, the first thing I do is dig through some research on the supplement (if it exists). If Digging yields very positive results and it is affordable, I purchase it. The research is rarely satisfying in and of itself most of the time though, so I wait to view anecdotal feedback from other users of the product that I am fairly certain are not just undercover employees for the company. The forums here at bodybuilding.com are an excellent place to do just that actually. This process can take quite a while and there are many ingredients/supplements that I simply cannot justify purchasing.

References:

1. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2008 Apr;18(2):131-41.
    2. Clinical pharmacology of the dietary supplement creatine monohydrate. Pharmacol Rev. 2001 Jun;53(2):161-76.
    4. Greenberg JA et. al. Coffee, diabetes, and weight control. Am J Clin Nutr. (2006) 84(4):682-93.
    5. David J. Pedersen et al. High rates of muscle glycogen resynthesis after exhaustive exercise when carbohydrate is co-ingested with caffeine. Journal of Applied Physiology, (in press)
    6. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2007 Sep;2(3):250-9.
    7. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2008 Apr;18(2):131-41.
    Last edited by FoolontheHill; 06-28-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    CPT, CEO, R&D

History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)

Part 2

Fad supplements- are ones that exaggerate the truth with the intent to have you purchase the product. Their goal is to make a profit off the consumer by any means necessary. People been trying to make big bucks and that is bigger especially in the state of the current financial problems of the economy. They scamming for big bucks. Fad supplements make it bad for the supplement companies who are doing the right thing. These fad companies hurt the whole industry and could possible make the whole industry under scrutiny just because.

Avoid Fad Supplements By

1. Do Research Before
    2. Read Labels
    3. Talk to Physician or Doctor for Clarity on the new supplement

Now on to some Fad Supplements:

1.Liquid Creatine-People have wanted a portable way to take creatine and liquid creatine was seen as the way to do it. The thing is that creatine doesn't stay stable in liquid form for that long. Liquid creatine claims for instant absorption and no bloating. It attempts to separate itself from the powdered creatine monohydrate products, but there is no evidence showing liquid creatine works or is any better. Creatine in liquid form too long can turn into creatinine which is not good for a muscle trying to grow bigger and stronger. In fact, I rather have my body have my body keep water, so I can look fuller.

Layne Nortion Take on Liquid Creatine
    Most certainly not. Creatine degrades over time in water into it's waste product creatinine which is useless in the body and will simply be excreted. Companies who claim that they have stabilized creatine in a liquid are flat out lying to you. One of these companies (I believe Muscle Marketing USA) had a lab assay done on their liquid creatine and the assay found that it only contained 15% of the creatine on the label claim. I would like to further de-credify these companies by noting that one of the reasons they claim their product is so good is because their creatine does not make your retain water. WHAT? As I have stated earlier, this is one of the biggest benefits of creatine, this clearly shows their eagerness to prey upon the ignorance of the public.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne13.htm

Liquid Creatine Product that Claims Differ
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mm/xtra.html

2.HMB-HMB was touted by Bill Phillips and EAS as one of the most promising supplements back in the day. This was almost 15 years ago when EAS hit the market with HMB. HMB was touted for its ability to minimize the breakdown of protein. This translates into new muscle and better strength. You take it on workout days and reduces the stress placed on the muscles.

Study Supporting HMB Back in the day
    http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/conten...urcetype=HWCIT

Have you heard anything about HMB in a while? I know I haven't. I was only ten when that study came out and since then the results on HMB have been skewed. Yes, it is still available on this site: http://search.bodybuilding.com/searc...ct=store&btnG=

The jury is still out on HMB. There is more research to be done on this product. This is just another case to research a product before believing the hype.

3. Chromium Picolinate-is a trace mineral found in your body. People feel that chromium can help control diabetes, help you lose weight, and help after rigorous workouts. The studies don't show an overwhelming case of that at all.

No to CP
    http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/1/29

There is not enough evidence to show what effect does it have on your body. Yes, many companies still make it for various reasons, but it still will be debated on whether its effective or not.

More Research on Chromium
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/chromium-000294.htm

I might sure and research the product before buying it. Looking at medical studies is the first thing people should be doing instead of being caught off-guard by colorful ads in magazines or on computer with lines like "The Best Product ever or the Do It All Product. Marketing is a big deal when it comes to advertising products and people should realize that supplement companies are trying to make a money. If the company is one that I can trust, I will usually try to see if I can obtain a sample. If I can't do that, I will often follow logs on this site and see what the trusted loggers say about the product.
    Georgia Crew
    Sperrys and Polos

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    different times of creatine...

are you ****ing joking...this **** is all bull
    “Methods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.”

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

PhD in Broscience, 2009 soundcheck129's Avatar
    soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Lose 20 pounds in only two weeks! Get ripped in as little as ten minutes per day, three times a week! Eat whatever you want - and get the body of your dreams!

We've all heard and seen ridiculous advertisements promising insane results thanks to the use of some miracle supplement. And as unbelievable as the claims are, people still buy the products with expectations of greatness. Sadly, more often than not, users end up disappointed, which reflects poorly on the supplement industry. But these miracle pills come and go quite quickly, as people realize how ineffective they are and move onto another fad supplement.

And while there are many supplements that have a very short shelf-life, some have stood the test of time and the scrutiny of science, delivering results and cutting through the hype. These are supplements that, while rarely advertised and hyped up, are still household names.

PROTEIN

Simply put, you can't build muscle without protein, period. Protein contains amino acids, which the body uses for muscle tissue. Trying to bulk up without protein would be like trying to build a house without bricks - you may build something, but it's not going to be what you want. While debate rages over how much protein is really necessary (estimates range from one gram per lb/bodyweight up to 2 grams per lb/bodyweight), there is no argument over its efficacy - protein powder is the ultimate staple. Protein powders provide a convenient form of protein, low in fat and carbs, high in bioavailability, and easy to digest. Protein powder also tends to be less filling than whole foods, which is helpful for those looking to gain mass.

The most popular type of protein powder is Whey Protein, favored because of its rapid absorption rate. This makes it ideal for post-workout purposes. All whey protein is not created equal, though. Whey Isolate is the highest quality, containing minimal fat and carbohydrates; there is also whey concentrate, which is slightly lower in quality. Many protein powders that are not isolates are blends of isolate and concentrate. With high quality usually comes a high pricetag, though, so if the addition of a few grams of carbohydrates or fat doesn't bother you too much, you may be better off with a blend.

Almost as popular as whey is Casein Protein, which is prized due to its slow rate of digestion - the idea is that it will keep fueling your muscles for an extended period of time, whether it is between meals or before bed. Like whey protein, it is highly bioavailable and comes in a variety of tasty flavors, and is usually loaded with BCAAs, and glutamine in some cases. Casein has a thicker consistency than whey and is a bit more filling, but it stays in your system longer so you won't need to eat again soon after ingesting it.

Another type of protein powder that is gaining popularity is Blended Protein, or specialty protein. These powders incorporate a number of different protein sources that are also sold seperately - whey, casein, milk protein, egg protein, and soy protein. The aim here is to provide a number of different proteins with varying release rates so that your body is kept in an anabolic state for an extended period of time. These powders tend to include more carbohydrates and fats and are often referred to as MRPs, or meal replacement powders.

TOP PROTEIN PRODUCTS: Allmax Isoflex (Whey Isolate); Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein (Casein); BSN Syntha-6 (Blend/Specialty/MRP)
    FURTHER READING: Stimulation of net muscle protein synthesis by whey protein ingestion before and after exercise; Ingestion of Casein and Whey Proteins Result in Muscle Anabolism after Resistance Exercise.

CAFFEINE

There are literally thousands of pre-workout products on the market, but when it comes down to it, the biggest boost in all of them comes from the same thing - caffeine. Nothing gives a kick of energy quite like caffeine, whether mixed with other ingredients or not. Caffeine also is a diuretic, appetite suppressant and metabolism booster, so it has powerful uses in weight management and fat loss supplements as well. One can maximize the power of caffeine by cycling it, so the body will not build up too much of a tolerance.

Caffeine works by stimulating the central nervous system, increasing focus, energy and endurance. Even non-athletes often harness the power of caffeine, as evidenced by the crowd around the coffee machine every morning at work. Because of caffeine's inherent lack of calories and status as a powerful stimulant, it has stood the test of time, and I don't see it going anywhere any time soon.

TOP CAFFEINE PRODUCTS: Higher Power Caffeine; USP Labs Jack3d; Gaspari Nutrition Cytolean
    FURTHER READING: The effect of different dosages of caffeine on endurance performance time.; Caffeine and exercise: metabolism, endurance and performance.

CREATINE

Creatine is often referred to as the legal steroid, because it results in big gains but is not a banned substance. Creatine is actually naturally occuring in many foods and is produced by the body. Creatine is used to create ATP, which is the main fuel for muscle. Having an extra supply of it allows you to lift longer and work out harder, leading to bigger gains. In addition, creatine draws water into your muscle cells, leading to a bigger, fuller appearance. Strength, endurance and recovery are all improved with creatine use, so it's no wonder that practically every lifter has used it at one point or another.

The popularity of creatine is aided by the fact that it is non-addictive, non-hormonal and relatively inexpensive. Traditionally, a loading phase was suggested with creatine, but some newer forms do not require a loading phase. Many creatine products are also loaded with simple sugars to enhance absorption, so watch out if you're on a restricted calorie diet.

TOP CREATINE PRODUCTS: Controlled Labs Green Magnitude; Beast Sports Nutrition CREATure; Dymatize XPAND
    FURTHER READING: Effects of creatine supplementation on body composition, strength, and sprint performance.; Effects of training and creatine supplement on muscle strength and body mass

MULTIVITAMIN

I hardly think of a multi as a supplement anymore, it seems like it's just part of a balanced breakfast. Multis are definitely a staple though, as you've got children chewing on their Flintstones vitamins and adults taking their Centrum or One-a-Days. Multivitamins may be the most cost-effective supplement, as they provide a lot of nutrients for keeping your whole body healthy, not just packing on muscle, in one convenient package. While they do have a lot of healthy ingredients, simply taking multivitamins does not mean you can stop eating fruits and vegetables - natural sources are best, and the actual contenst and efficacy of multivitamins have been questioned.

TOP MULTIVITAMINS: Optimum Opti-Men; Universal Animal Pak; SportPharma Mult-V
    FURTHER READING: Multivitamin/Folic Acid Supplementation in Early Pregnancy Reduces the Prevalence of Neural Tube Defects; Multivitamin Use, Folate, and Colon Cancer

SUPPLEMENTS OF THE FUTURE

There are some newer products that are highly effective and widely used, but haven't been around long enough to have withstood the test of time. However, I do see these continuing to be used for along time, so if this topic comes up again in a decade or more, look for the inclusion of these:

Kre-Alkalyn

Kre-Alkalyn is known as a "buffered creatine," which means that it does not convert into creatinine, which is associated with the side-effects of creatine - bloating, cramps and unwanted water retention. The lack of conversion to creatinine is also supposed to allow the body to absorb more creatine. Despite these advantages, Kre-Alkalyn is every bit as effective as traditional creatine(1).

BCAAs

BCAAs, or branched-chain amino acids, have surged in popularity recently, led by products such as Xtend and Purple Wraath. BCAAs provide the amino acids necessary for muscle building and recovery, without the caloric weight of other protein products. This makes them especially valuable for those on cutting cycles. Additionally, BCAAs can increase endurance and energy. Sipping on BCAAs between meals can help keep the body in an anabolic state, and BCAA products have led to the rise in popularity of intra-workout supplements. These supplements are taken during workouts and often contain amino acids, beta alanine, and citrulline malate to improve performance, strength and endurance.

CLA

People tend to get scared when they hear that CLA is a trans-fat, but its important to note that it is a naturally occurring trans-fatty acid, not a synthetically-created one such as those arising from partially hydrogenated oils. CLA is short for conjugated linoleic acid, and the substance aids the body in decreasing fat while increasing lean mass. Additionally, CLA helps boost the metabolism and growth hormones. Studies have shown that CLA can produce real, positive changes in body composition(2). A lot of manufacturers are starting to realize the power of CLA, and it is a key ingredient in products such as VPX Zero Impact Bars an Nutrabolics Iso-MRP. For the time being, a lot of people seem to find CLA ineffective, but this is due largely to their misunderstanding of the supplement. CLA is best used to stay slim during a bulk, and will NOT result in steroid-like gains. Frustrated users will often complain that they used CLA but "didn't make any gains with it." At the same time, though, they'll stick with the protein, creatine and whatever other supplements they happened to use during this peroid of no gains. CLA will not make muscle out of nothing, so if your diet or training is deficient, you won't see gains - don't blame the CLA; if its working well you'll notice your body fat remain low, which isn't as easy to spot as bulging biceps.

Obviously, it is important to remember that these supplements are called "supplements" for a reason - they are intended to complement a balanced nutrition plan, and will not work wonders without proper diet and exercise.
    ALLMAX Nutrition Rep

Free H:VOL! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165477791

Certified Personal Trainer - PM for Training and Nutrition

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX Nutrition. Consult a medical professional whenever your health is concerned.

PhD in Broscience, 2009 soundcheck129's Avatar
    soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

So many fads...so little time. For every legitimate supplement, there is a shelf full of supplements that don't quite meet all of the claims they make. However, a little common sense, label inspection, and if necessary, online research (check the Product Reviews forum) can save you a lot of wasted time and money.

But now...on to the Supplement Hall of Shame:

CUTTING GEL

Just rub it on, and the fat will melt away! I have a hard time believing people actually fall for this one, but sadly, it happens. Nothing has the ability to burn away surface fat, short of acid I guess, but I don't plan on using that. If anything, cutting gel just removes water from the area to which it is applied, and the only "success stories" I've seen with this are people who have also increased cardio and drastically cut calories while using it. Great - a supplement that has the amazing power to do nothing more than not mess up dieting efforts! Let me throw my cash at that! If you still want to pick up some cutting gel, I have another excellent product you should try out: PlaceBolic*.

METHOXYISOFLAVONE

If a supplement that promises increases of 700% more muscle in little to no time doesn't sound your scam alarm, then I don't know what will. But that's not all - methoxyisoflavone also claims to be a powerful ergegenic, increasing your energy levels so you can workout harder and longer, perhaps building up to even 800% in gains - the sky is apparently the limit. Unfortunately, the marketers forgot one little detail - you shouldn't make claims that aren't actually based in fact. Studies, such as this one, though, have shown that there were no significant differences in strength, body composition, free testosterone, or cortisol. Oops - I guess this really is the supplement of your dreams, because your imagination is the only place where this works.

CHROMIUM PICOLINATE

Chromium Picolinate is supposed to have ergogenic effects and aid in the metabolism of carbohydrates and fat. Unfortunately, the supplement also causes oxidative stress and DNA damage (3). That's not a trade-off I'm willing to make in order to see marginal results.

TRIBULUS TERRESTRIS

With a name like that, it sure sounds impressive, but the results for this one have been anything but. Trib is supposed to be a powerful testosterone booster, but studies and anecdotal evidence have shot that claim down more times than I can count. Tribulus Terrestris supposedly "drastically" increases luetenizing hormone and, as a result, testosterone levels, but apparently no one told scientists that, because studies like this one have shown that it does little more than...well, nothing.

LIQUID CREATINE

Also known as creatine serum, this was intended to be a convenient way to take your creatine, kind of like a creatine RTD, because really, mixing up creatine in a shaker bottle is clearly far too inconvenient to ever be considered. This would have been an awesome invention except for one minor detail - creatine is very unstable in liquid form, and one analysis showed that creatine concentration of one brand was less than two percent of what the label claimed (4). Oddly enough, marketers also claimed liquid creatine wouldn't lead to water retention in muscle cells...apparently not realizing that was one of the benefits, providing a fuller look.

Do you wait a certain amount of time before trying a new supplement, or do you buy it once it hits the shelves?

Thanks to the internet, a lot of information can be found on products before they even hit the market, as supplement companies tend to advertise new formulations well in advance. This allows ample time to research not only the product itself, but similar formulations to see what one can really expect from a supplement. The only time I've purchased a supplement as soon as it became available was when I knew exactly what was in the product and I had seen results from very similar formulations in the past. Under no circumstances should you buy a supplement without even reading the label, because marketing is all about what can be hidden in the fine print. I'd recommending checking out the Supersite or Google Scholar to look for studies on any supplements you're interested in, and speaking with your doctor to see if it is safe for you.

If I'm unsure, even after doing research, I wait until there have been reviews posted in the Product Reviews forum. If possible, I try to wait until another user has completed a log of the product, because daily updates and seeing someone's specific diet and training protocol can tell much more than a few sentences of explanation.

No matter what the supplement, though, remember that you're not likely to see any effects without proper diet, exercise and rest. You've heard it a million times, but it cannot be said enough - supplements are just that, a supplement to everything else you're doing, and are by no means miracle workers. If something looks too good to be true, it probably is, so do your research before you jump on the next fad supplement.

*PlaceBolic is not a real product, this was merely a joke to soften the blow if you've ever spent money on one of these scam supplements.

SOURCES:

1. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/kre.html
    2. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cla.htm
    3. http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herb...iumsideeff.htm
    4. Dash, A., & Sawnney, A. (2002). J Pharm Biomed Anal. 29(5):939.
    ALLMAX Nutrition Rep

Free H:VOL! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165477791

Certified Personal Trainer - PM for Training and Nutrition

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX Nutrition. Consult a medical professional whenever your health is concerned.

Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lol...i was waiting for your post..lol...

My Training Journal -

mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000)

mrkdrt's Tried and True Supps (word doc attached below)

The supplement biz is a HUGE industry. Everyday new products are popping up with bigger claims and even more outlandish advertisements. The tough part is filtering through the propaganda to find out what's for real, and what is pure hype. This a rough guide on how you can enjoy effective supplementation, without breaking the bank.

The key to supplementation is recognizing that products do just that, supplement. Without a proper meal plan first, you won't be getting the most out of your purchase. That said, even with a proper meal plan in check, certain supplements are fantastic additions to your training/diet.

Whey Protein

Your body needs protein, plain and simple. Bodybuilding greatly increases your body's needs for protein, to create a positive nitrogen balance. Many bodybuilders find it difficult, and sometimes expensive, to meet their daily quota of protein in whole foods alone. Ectomorphs, who should take in more protein than the recommended 1g/lb of bodyweight each day, find this even tougher. This is where whey protein comes in handy. High biological value (meaning you get what you pay for, in simple terms) and usually a reasonable price tag, whey can help you meet your daily macros and be used for goal-specific nutrient timing.

There are countless options of whey protein supplements, but I recommend Scivation, AllMax Nutrition and Optimum Nutrition not only for taste, but price as well.

Multivitamins

This is another supplement that truly is worth its weight in gold, but is unfortunately often overlooked. The diets of bodybuilders can get quite unbalanced sometimes, and isn't always rich in important nutrients and vitamins. To ensure your body is getting an adequate amount of vitamins, minerals and sometimes a few extras, a multivitamin supplement fits the job perfectly.

One multivitamin product, which has truly stood the test of time, is Universal's Animal Pak. The formula is comprehensive, with a few extras, and has proven itself over a quarter of a decade. Other great options are Controlled Labs Orange TRIad and SportPharma Multi-V.

Creatine

Creatine is one type of supplement that you should really know about before buying it. Creatine can be sold in many forms, salts and chelates. As a consumer, it is up to you to know which forms are worth your time and money.

One of the most effective forms of creatine sold is creatine monohydrate (German CreaPure being the holy grail). There is no shortage of studies and articles spanning decades on creatine monohydrate, and is superiority over other popular forms like creatine ethyl ester. (1, 2) The simple truth is, yes, it works. Creatine improves energy and strength, and also helps flood your muscles by osmotic action for fullness. Even more importantly to mention, it is incredibly safe to take.

Ultimate Nutrition and ProLab both produce all killer no filler creatine monohydrate products, for a great price.

Caffeine

Caffeine is a compound that can be sold in pure form, or included in a blend of other ingredients in other products. Caffeine has been proven effective in studies, and almost everyone has experienced its powerful effects after a cup of strong coffee, tea or even some dark chocolate!

Sometimes that morning workout seems impossible, or your long day at work or school drained you for a decent workout. Well, caffeine may just be the trick. Caffeine is an effective stimulant that can give you a little energy boost, mental focus and alertness. It can also boost your metabolism, and have a thermogenic effect, which is beneficial for those looking to lose a few pounds. Part of this boost however, is a heightened heart rate. Too much caffeine and you could be in for some problems. It's always better to err on the side of caution and never take more than the recommended dose.

Great pure caffeine products you can use alone, or as part of an EC or ECY stack are sold by Higher Power and 4EverFit. Caffeine is incredibly cost-effective.

Beta-Alanine

While relatively new, beta-alanine has shown tremendous promise in clinical trials and consumer reviews. Even though it is not a "time-tested" supplement, I forsee its progress in sport supplementation spanning leaps and bounds in the future. It is definitely worth the mention.

Great beta-alanine products can be found from Athletic Edge Nutrition.

New popular products come out all the time. With more use, more and more information becomes available to make or break its stride. Here are some supplements, which at one time were popular, but now are losing, or have lost their hype.

Pre-Workout Arginine

New and old pre-workout products containing arginine (commonly as arginine alpha-ketoglutarate) are still very popular. These supplements are an example of a product being marketed based on scientific theory alone, with little to no proof of claims. Many products containing AAKG make bold claims of extreme pumps and enhanced performance. While based on physiological pathways, this is possible, clinical studies have been unable to show that AAKG supplementation can meet these types of claims.

Vanadyl Sulfate

This was formerly a well-hyped product on the market, but now it's popularity is slowing dying off. Without enough studies to prove its effects and product claims, combined with poor reviews and little to no effects seen in consumers, it's completely understandable.

Guggulsterones

Guggulsterones were at one point a "next big thing" type of product. Claiming fantastic weight loss results, with minimal muscle loss, it seemingly had potential. But soon, studies began to show they could raise cholesterol and block androgen receptors. (3) Obviously, this outweighs the claims.

Ecdysterones

Ecdysterones were a big hype a while back, and luckily have had no major comeback. The problem was the fact that studies, and consumer trials, could not prove product claims or safety. Studies done showing promise were sparse for humans, and done at a far higher dosage than seen in any product on the market.

I never buy any product until I know the ingredients, dosages and claims. Unfortunately for the consumer, products can be underdosed, hidden in proprietary blends, and may not meet label claims.

With the bodybuilding.com forums it's easy to know about a product a while before it comes out. This gives me a chance to read the label and decide if this is a product I am willing to shell out my hard-earned money on.

Product reviews, Supplement Police and Label Police are great resources to learn more about certain products to avoid, or consider adding to your training regimen.

Without knowing what ingredients, in which forms and the dosages of the product, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment. Of course this isn't always the case, but it pays to be safe. This is especially true if the product is hyped as the Holy Grail, and contains novel or previously unseen forms of common ingredients.

Cheers

mrkdrt

References

(1) Spillane, M., et. Al. The effects of creatine ethyl ester supplementation combined with heavy resistance training on body composition, muscle performance, and serum and muscle creatine levels. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2009 Feb 19:6:6

(2) Silber ML. Scientific facts behind creatine monohydrate as sport nutrition supplement. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1999 Sep;39(3):179-88.

(3) Burris, T. P., et. Al. The hypolipidemic natural product guggulsterone is a promiscuous steroid recpetor ligand. Mol Pharamacol. 2005 Mar 67(3):938-54.
    Attached Files
    My secret?

Acai and the Ab Circle Pro.

But srsly, PM me for any advice

tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by History in Effect View Post
    [center]What were some of the biggest fad supplements?

Avoid Fad Supplements By

1. Do Research Before
    2. Read Labels
    3. Talk to Physician or Doctor for Clarity on the new supplement

Now on to some Fad Supplements:

1.Liquid Creatine-People have wanted a portable way to take creatine and liquid creatine was seen as the way to do it. The thing is that creatine doesn't stay stable in liquid form for that long. Liquid creatine claims for instant absorption and no bloating. It attempts to separate itself from the powdered creatine monohydrate products, but there is no evidence showing liquid creatine works or is any better. Creatine in liquid form too long can turn into creatinine which is not good for a muscle trying to grow bigger and stronger. In fact, I rather have my body have my body keep water, so I can look fuller.

Layne Nortion Take on Liquid Creatine
    Most certainly not. Creatine degrades over time in water into it's waste product creatinine which is useless in the body and will simply be excreted. Companies who claim that they have stabilized creatine in a liquid are flat out lying to you. One of these companies (I believe Muscle Marketing USA) had a lab assay done on their liquid creatine and the assay found that it only contained 15% of the creatine on the label claim. I would like to further de-credify these companies by noting that one of the reasons they claim their product is so good is because their creatine does not make your retain water. WHAT? As I have stated earlier, this is one of the biggest benefits of creatine, this clearly shows their eagerness to prey upon the ignorance of the public.

Liquid Creatine Product that Claims Differ
    I was told that creatine pills are better to take because they get to the body before the stomach acid and other problems that destroy 50% OF THE powder you ingest, is this true or is creatine in pill form just wasting my time

i respond the same to creatine monohydrate whether its in powder or pill
    Georgia Crew
    Sperrys and Polos

Originally Posted by History in Effect View Post
    i respond the same to creatine monohydrate whether its in powder or pill
    i personally respond better to powder form...but each person is different...you definitely have to experiment to see what type of responder you are...

My Training Journal -

u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Armbender View Post

When deciding on using or not using supplements to improve your performance or over-all health, you must consider the following;

#1. Your diet is on track, meaning you're eating enough protein, calaries, carbs and enough meals per day that is recommended for your weight and your body-type.

The three body types are ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph

#2. You have a workout regime that accommodates your body-type and your goal whether your plan is bulking, cutting, and strength training or just to have a healthy lifestyle.

#3. You're getting the appropriate rest each day (7 to 9 hours) to recover properly from your workout routines.

If these 3 things are not met, then supplements are certainly a waste of money in my opinion.

There are what we like to call "staple supplements" which have been proven to be effective and have lasted over time which benefit all athletes, bodybuilders, and people looking to improve their health. Listed below are the "staples" which have standed the test of time and what I feel will continue to be the most important supplements in this sport.

Protein - This is ranked as my #1 Supplement. It is the essential building block for any athlete or person wishing to develop their physical fitness. There are many different types of protein out there to choose from, each with there own specific benefits. The most recognized would be your basic whey protein, which is usually used for a post workout shake to help your body get the proper recovery from intense training. Then there is a casein protein which is a slow releasing protein which is great for in-between meals and before bed, and there are weight gainers which are high in calories and rich in protein to help hard gainers reach there goal body weight. Protein powders are a cheap effective and easy way to reach your nutritional requirements each day and can be taken on the road for people living busy lifestyles.

Average Dosing - 1 gram per pound of body weight
    Recommended Types - Gaspari Nutrition's Myo-Fusion, Xtreme Formulations, and Optimum Nutrition's Whey

Multi-Vitamin - This comes in at a close 2nd place for me. It's hard to admit, but almost every person is guilty of not eating properly each and every day not including the recommended food groups and the needed nutrients for our body's to function normally. A multi-vitamin is an easy way to get all the essential vitamins and minerals into our body's, which helps with our performance, recovery, mood, and health. Deficiencies in some of these vitamins and minerals can lead to severe health problems in life.

Average Dosing - preferably a Multi that is taken 2-3 times per day
    Recommended Types - AST Multi Pro 32x, NOW Adam and Universal Nutrition Animal Pack

Creatine - Creatine is something that is made naturally by the human body, unfortunately it does not produce the amounts we need to see beneficial results. This supplement is great for getting over plateaus and pushing through your athletic goals by increasing your stamina, strength, and cell volumization. Creatine has also been known to retain water in the body, which gives a sense of muscle fullness and size. As with protein, there are many types of creatine, which have specific purposes. You can purchase this product in a mix form where many other products such as Beta-Alanine, Branch Chain Amino Acids and even Caffeine is added to give a better over-all product. You can also purchase this product in its bulk form so you can accurately dose the creatine to your needs. The most common forms of creatine are Mono, Ethyl Ester and Kre-Alkalyn,

Average Dosing - 5-15gm per day
    Recommended Types, MAN Clout, USPLabs Jack3d and Higher Power Bulk Creatine

Fad supplements to me are only ones that have had big hypes in articles and reviews but did not live up to its promises and did not deliver the results. I can only comment on the products I have personally tried and experienced first hand. The following list below is only my personal thoughts and yours may in fact differ from mine.

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) - This product was designed to build muscle and reduce body fat. This seemed to have zero effect for me. I have tried it on numerous occasions ensuring my diet was in check but still resulted in no results.

Colon Cleanses - I personally believe that this will be the next biggest fad in bodybuilding. Your body is made to handle and flush out all of the toxins that are in your system. That is what it is designed to do and it does an excellent job of it.

Ephedrine - This was huge a few years ago until in 2003, Steve Bechler, from the Major League Baseball scene, died from causes related to ephedrine. In this case, the pros do not outweigh the cons and people did not seek products with this ingredient. This is now seen less and less in products as the controversy of its safety remains.

A few Brands which I have seen the "hype" lowered since there release and may be considered "FADS" would have to be Xyience which made a big scene in the MMA and UFC group, BSN until thier lawsuit, and I would say the biggest decline in popularity in a supplement would have to be Cell-Tech. These are again, only my personal views and not an attack on the company or product.

When new products hit the market, I am usually a bit sceptical about purchasing it right away. The only exception to this would be which company released the product. There are a few companies out there that I would consider very reputable and I would trust their product on release date with no questions.

New company's into the market or company's that do not have a solid reputation would get some hesitation from me. Supplements are expensive as it is right now each month to purchase a product that could show no results. I would preferably wait two to three months after its release, and do my research on www.bodybuilding.com in the product reviews section or the sponsored logs section. These articles really help in my selection process and also helps people new into the bodybuilding and supplement scene. Of course there are a lot of incorrect information out there so you must read with a grain of salt, however, it is a great place to start.
    ephedrine is a fad? moreover, your only proof it being a fad is that it was linked to someones death? not only is that weak evidence that ephedrine might be dangerous, but it has nothing to do with being a fad product. you should really do some research as to what was really going on with him at the time, namely that he had fasted for days prior and was in florida heat during his collapse.

secondly, multivitamins standing the test of time... well i suppose they did stand the test of time, but there is no conclusive research that multivitamins actually do us any good. most people regard multivitamins simply as "insurance".

im not singling you out by any means, but if youre going to try to write an article for a bodybuilding and nutrition site, at least do some fact checking. i won't even touch on the "15 grams of creatine" per day or the issue of having zero references.
    "Like those in the valley behind us, most people stand in sight of the spiritual mountains all their lives and never enter them, being content to listen to others who have been there and thus avoid the hardships."