PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Pull up grip width?

I really like pull ups, but I never know how far apart to put my hands. The thing I'm confused about is some say a wider grip focuses more one your lats, while others say you should use a medium width grip with your palms facing you so you can make it easy on the arms and focus on your lats.

So....what's the best and why:

Palms facing AWAY from you:
    1. close grip (hands touching)
    2. medium grip (about shoulder width)
    3. wide grip (almost as far as you can go)

Palms facing you:
    4. close grip (hands touching)
    5. medium grip (about shoulder width)
    6. wide grip (almost as far as you can go)

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ~shoulder width; too wide = less rom, leverage, more chance of r/c injury.
    <->

PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumpAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    ~shoulder width
    is that with palms facing you or away?

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    doesn't matter; lat involvement should be roughly similar. main difference will be amn't of bicep involvement (more for underhand)
    <->

there are no shortcuts sword chucks's Avatar
    sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like shoulder width/palms away. The main thing is that you pull the shoulder blades back before you move your arms. But with a shoulder-width grip you can use more weight and it's safer.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PumpAddict
    I really like pull ups, but I never know how far apart to put my hands. The thing I'm confused about is some say a wider grip focuses more one your lats, while others say you should use a medium width grip with your palms facing you so you can make it easy on the arms and focus on your lats.

Palms facing you:
    -Shoulder width or wider palms facing away are best for overall shoulder width

-Close grip palms facing each other(hammer grip) are best for purely hitting the lats.

Ok, what you guys have said makes a lot of sense, but now I read things like this that confuse me:

Whatever you do, you should always use a fairly narrow pronated (palms in toward you, underhand) grip rather than the much more popular wide overhand grip.

The underhand grip allows for almost a 50 percent greater range of motion. You wouldn't (I hope) do half-reps on squats or bench presses, yet so many trainers do a style of pulldowns that gives such limited results in relation to what is possible.

Show me a guy who can do ten reps of wide-grip pulldowns with 250 pounds, then compare his lat development to another guy who can do ten reps of chins with 150 pounds hanging from his waist. There would be no contest. The pulldown guy's back would be flat Kansas prairie next to the weighted chinner's Colorado Rocky Mountain Range. And, contrary to the name "chin up," chins should actually be performed leaning slightly back and pulling until the mid-chest hits the bar.
    This was is an article on our site by Ron Harris.

"You wouldn't (I hope) do half-reps on squats or bench presses"
    I would; it's called rack lockouts; limiting the ROM can sometimes be desirable depending on how you're doing it
    <->

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok, what you guys have said makes a lot of sense, but now I read things like this that confuse me:

There is no ONE CORRECT way to do any exercise. Everyone is different. You will have to experiment what way works best for YOU not Ron Harris.

Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Chin ups

i do them with my hands underhand grip and directly in front of me so my palms are always in line with my shoulders, it would work both biceps and lats
    does any one here to proper 1 handed chin ups?

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ricky_k
    i do them with my hands underhand grip and directly in front of me so my palms are always in line with my shoulders, it would work both biceps and lats
    does any one here to proper 1 handed chin ups?
    mate there's nothing proper about a 1 handed chin up! either u r very strong or very skinny !
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ricky_k is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister
    mate there's nothing proper about a 1 handed chin up! either u r very strong or very skinny !
    i dont get how people think if ur skinny your good at chinups cause a skinny person has skinny arms thouse skinny arms have to pull up a skinny body which still weights quite a bit compared to the skinny arms

but i know a skinny person doesnt do them 1 handed only the very strong

This is Absolution! AmateurWrestler's Avatar
    AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do a variety. Chins, pullups, wide grips. Mix it up.
    "Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom."

- Viktor Frankl, Austrian Psychiatrist and survivor of a Nazi concentration camp

"Nothing can resist the human will that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."

- Benjamin Disraeli

Originally Posted by Ricky_k
    i dont get how people think if ur skinny your good at chinups cause a skinny person has skinny arms thouse skinny arms have to pull up a skinny body which still weights quite a bit compared to the skinny arms

but i know a skinny person doesnt do them 1 handed only the very strong
    yea, when i was like 110pds I could only do 4 or 5 with just bodyweight. At 225ish, my best has been +90pds*2 1/2 + bw.
    <->

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Palms facing you:
    I'll try to clear this up for you.

The reason there is confusion, is that there is a difference in how grips affect you, and sometimes a little knowledge is confusing.

The latissimus dorsi is a fan shaped muscle like the pectorals, different parts can be trained.

The majority of the muscle fibers are at the bottom. So to train a majority of the lats, one must use a more narrow grip. Basically, the more narrow the grip, the lower your lats are worked.

Sounds easy right? Sounds like you should use a medium to narrow grip?

Well, here's the kicker.

Most people want a WIDE back. In order to make your back look like a "V", you need to:

a. Develop the UPPER/OUTER lats, and teres muscles (right under arms).

b. Spread the shoulder blades (make them more flexible, so they "stand out" more

The WIDE GRIP chin-up develops the upper/outer lats/teres, and pulls the scapula out.

So, really, they are two different exercises. Use either or both depending on your goals.

Regarding grips-use a palms away with wide grip, or hammer grip with closer grips (which is actually the strongest grip, not palms facing). You want to MINIMIZE bicep involvement, not maximize it.

LRTF2005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi i know this sounds stupid but can anyone tell me the difference between chin-ups and pull-ups i checked in the exercise directory and could not tell the difference

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LRTF2005
    hi i know this sounds stupid but can anyone tell me the difference between chin-ups and pull-ups i checked in the exercise directory and could not tell the difference
    You will hear some people give "official" descriptions, but there is no real difference.

It is the difference between "French Presses" and "Skullcrushers" and "Lying Extensions".

ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Defiant1

Awesome information.

LRTF2005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks defiant1

Originally Posted by LRTF2005
    chin - palms facing you
    pull - palms facing away
    <->

ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've even heard the opposite--pull-ups are the ones done with an upside down grip.

There really can't be a difference, it's gotta just be some name thing. I've heard all kinds of definitions for both.

Originally Posted by ko_kidd
    I've even heard the opposite--pull-ups are the ones done with an upside down grip.

There really can't be a difference, it's gotta just be some name thing. I've heard all kinds of definitions for both.
    it refers to whether or not wrists are supinated (i think that's the right word, AJ tired now, so if it isn't, screw off )

the difference is in bicep involvement.
    <->

Originally Posted by $AJ
    it refers to whether or not wrists are supinated (i think that's the right word, AJ tired now, so if it isn't, screw off )

the difference is in bicep involvement.
    Think about the terms. Chin up and Pull up. How does one indicated hand position?

They don't.

That's how I roll AlxandrTheGreat's Avatar
    AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I think I'll listen to WILL Harris, the IFBB PRO who prefers to do them WIDE with an overhand grip. The width of his back speaks for itself. Same with Coleman, he does them with an ultra wide grip, about a foot wider than shoulder width!

You want Colorado Rockies thickness, do Barbell, dumbell, and cable rows, maybe a few v-handle chins every now and then. Will Harris considers seated cable rows to be the squat of back exercises.
    Last edited by AlxandrTheGreat; 01-04-2005 at 12:35 PM.
    Some times you gotta add that poundage, and beat that muscle up!

- Kevin Levrone

Originally Posted by AlxandrTheGreat
    I think I'll listen to WILL Harris, the IFBB PRO who prefers to do them WIDE with an overhand grip. The width of his back speaks for itself. Same with Coleman, he does them with an ultra wide grip, about a foot wider than shoulder width!

You want Colorado Rockies thickness, do Barbell, dumbell, and cable rows, maybe a few v-handle chins every now and then. Will Harris considers seated cable rows to be the squat of back exercises.

Interesting, because I consider parallel handle chins the squat of back exercises, and that is essentially a free weight cable row.

A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) A-man is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    I'll try to clear this up for you.

The reason there is confusion, is that there is a difference in how grips affect you, and sometimes a little knowledge is confusing.

The latissimus dorsi is a fan shaped muscle like the pectorals, different parts can be trained.

The majority of the muscle fibers are at the bottom. So to train a majority of the lats, one must use a more narrow grip. Basically, the more narrow the grip, the lower your lats are worked.

Sounds easy right? Sounds like you should use a medium to narrow grip?

Well, here's the kicker.

Most people want a WIDE back. In order to make your back look like a "V", you need to:

a. Develop the UPPER/OUTER lats, and teres muscles (right under arms).

b. Spread the shoulder blades (make them more flexible, so they "stand out" more

The WIDE GRIP chin-up develops the upper/outer lats/teres, and pulls the scapula out.

So, really, they are two different exercises. Use either or both depending on your goals.

Regarding grips-use a palms away with wide grip, or hammer grip with closer grips (which is actually the strongest grip, not palms facing). You want to MINIMIZE bicep involvement, not maximize it.
    Solid post, rep to you

Location: ON THE FOOTBALL ("SAW-KER") TERRACES CAUSING TROUBLE
    MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MATNAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

i read in muscular development magazine that the best exercise for developing width in the lats was, lat pulldown with wide grip and palms facing away (i.e. hands just slightly wider than shoulder, not too far out). i suppose you could substitute the lat machine for chins.

scientists discovered this by measuring the EMG (electrical activity in the muscle) and they found that wide grip with hands facing away on a lat machine, produced the most electrical activtiy in the muscle and therefore the most activity in the fibres of the lats that would stimulate most muscle growth.