heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Should I lose weight first then build muscle??

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions that I need help with. I am 5'9 and currently weigh 143 pounds with 21%bf. Before I started doing weights I weighed about 135. I feel like the weight gain maybe to much for about a three month peroid of lifting? I can't hardly wear any of my jeans because they will not go over my thighs and butt. My butt and legs has became much bigger than they were before I started lifting. Seeing the scale go up and not being able to wear my old skinny jeans makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. Is this a common thing to experence? I Have also been tring to eat clean and I do cardio 75 mintues three times a week and lift three times a week. I alternate my lift days and cardio days. I guess you could say that I was a skinny fat girl at 135 but at least I could wear my clothes. So, should I stop lifting and try to lose some weight and body fat then pick up the weights? I feel like I am just putting muscle on fat right now. My goal is to ba about 130 with a good lean and toned look.

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Okay, #1 Rule Never to Forget:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER cut weights out of a program, unless directed by a medical doctor.

EVER.

If you want to lose body fat, eat a caloric deficit of no more than 500 calories of clean food (check the Nutrition Section), perform cardio regularly, and LIFT. Your cardio is a little off...instead of 75 minutes 3 times a week, do 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week, and try incorporating some HIIT. I am not an advocate for either type, but I am big on doing both for even and holistic training. In order to maintain muscle mass, increase bone density, and not end up skinny-fat, you need resistance training (that's the lifting part). You're not building muscle on top of fat. First of all, muscle lies beneath adipose tissue. Secondly, muscle takes up less space than fat because it's more dense. 5lbs of muscle is the size of a pork tenderloin. 5 lbs of fat is the size of an airplane pillow. Don't worry about the scale; weight is a terrible indicator of progress. I've gained 10 lbs in 3 days and lost 4.5 in one day; does that mean I'm a master of transformation? No, it means I was fully hydrated and full of food, and then I lost a lot of water weight. You might not fit into those old pants; but would you rather be tiny and flabby, or fit and more muscular?

the bigger the better nicoledominique's Avatar
    nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't think it can ever hurt to put on muscle - as the more muscle you have, the more fat will be burnt. Lifting weights will not make you fat or bulky, but if your diet isn't right on track you will hang on to the fat which could give the appearance of bulkiness.

If you are feeling uncomfortable at your current weight and size, I would say PLEASE continue lifting the weights, it is only going to help transform your body (it just takes time). What I would recommend is taking a serious look at your diet and perhaps increasing your cardio sessions.

Depending on how you were eating before, it is perfectly normal to feel and see an increased weight gain at the beginning of a new program - don't let it discourage you. Soon enough your metabolism will adapt and speed up and the fat will start melting away.

A split training program is great for anyone, and may be a good idea for you:

Mon: Back/Biceps (optional cardio AFTER lifting)
    Tues: Chest/Triceps (optional cardio AFTER lifting)
    Wed: Cardio
    Thurs: Quad/Hams/Calves (optional cardio AFTER lifting)
    Fri: Delts/Abs (optional cardio AFTER lifting)
    Sat: Cardio
    Sun: OFF

There are many different variations to this type of program - just gotta find what works best for you. If you decide to do cardio everyday - the fat will come off a lot faster, just monitor how you feel so that you don't wind up in an overtrained state. And make sure you're eating enough!!!

beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by heatherwatts View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have a few questions that I need help with. I am 5'9 and currently weigh 143 pounds with 21%bf. Before I started doing weights I weighed about 135. I feel like the weight gain maybe to much for about a three month peroid of lifting? I can't hardly wear any of my jeans because they will not go over my thighs and butt. My butt and legs has became much bigger than they were before I started lifting. Seeing the scale go up and not being able to wear my old skinny jeans makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. Is this a common thing to experence? I Have also been tring to eat clean and I do cardio 75 mintues three times a week and lift three times a week. I alternate my lift days and cardio days. I guess you could say that I was a skinny fat girl at 135 but at least I could wear my clothes. So, should I stop lifting and try to lose some weight and body fat then pick up the weights? I feel like I am just putting muscle on fat right now. My goal is to ba about 130 with a good lean and toned look.
    Are you doing 75 minutes of cardio each session? If you are, that is way too much. You are better off dong HIIT for cardio and if you are not really trackign what you are eating, you will never know were you need to make changes.

I would start logging my food and making sure you are eating clean, enough calories and proper pre and post work out nutrition.

I am still learning, always am. So I know it can get a bit flustering when you don't see results. Try to measure yourself and not weigh yourself all the time. measure every week at the same time, same day.

Read, read and research.

heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heatherwatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the good information. I am going to try to get some pictures up soon. I hope that will also give me motavtion to keep on going. I think seeing myself in a picture will really give me the kick ass boost I need. All of you girls are such a insperation to me.