work it out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to working out (please comment/advise)

I joined bodybuilding.com to read up on tips for working out. I've been dieting (high protein,low to no carbs) for the past 2 months, but haven't really had a serious workout regimen. I've lost some "water" weight, but I would like to get toned and have obvious definition in my muscles (for my whole body). I've done some pilates at home in the past which haven't yielded great results. I've never joined a gym but I will be checking one out today. i would like to develop a workout regimen of cardio and weight training. I don't consider myself thin or very skinny, and i'm not exactly fat either. Mainly, i am trying to get more toned and lose body fat, with a smaller focus on trying to lose weight. Where do I start?

pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    that's because pilates at home (winsor pilates type, right?) is extremely easy in comparison to pilates classes at a gym!

if your focus is losing weight and not building muscle, pilates is not a bad workout for you. i'm an ex-ballerina, and i can tell you from experience, pilates will give you a "dancer's body" (if that is your aim). ie, if you want to be slim and toned, yes...pilates (but please take classes under an experienced instructor!)

the nautilus machines are a good place to start if you want to build muscle in your arms/legs as the technique isn't difficult to achieve. the best way for me to describe the difference is that pilates creates long and toned muscle, while nautilus creates strong and defined muscles.

in a nutshell=pilates: great for weight loss/toning. weight-bearing exercise: great for building muscle.

as for your diet, i'm all for the high protein/lower carb approach. it has worked wonders for me in the past.

good luck!

musclar smurfette Sunshineslynn's Avatar
    Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First off the only way to really redefine the body you have is get into weight lifting (not the little pink dumb bell type either), taking a look at what your diet is (which no carb is a big no no IMHO) You need carbs for fuel for you body to function correctly. No form of pilates will give you the benefits that free style weightlifting will. Now learning which foods to eat and when to eat is a big key to loosing weight and keeping it off. Each meal should have a protien/carb/ healthy fat, having a meal every 2-3 hours that is atleast 300cals to total 6meals a day will keep your body in fat burning mode all day. It will raise your metabolism doing this. Also once you get the weight lifting down and feeding your body to build a good solid muscle base and some type of cardio you will see the results your looking for.

Take a look at the stickys in this forum do searches on here for workouts, diet suggestions and cardio.

Then get you a journal notebook, write down your current measurements the date taken and time, then write down all of the foods that you eat everyday, then also in that same journal you will write down the exercise you did including the weight reps and sets, how you felt before and after the workout. Then every couple weeks take measurements again. This will help you gauge your progess and you will learn what works for you and be able to tweak it to get the results you want.
    "You can't take some pill and hope your fat will jump off of you like you have the plague. You must work out and eat clean to have a lean, green, fighting machine." Sunshineslynn

'If you always do what you always did, then you will always get what you always do'

I dip, you dip, we all dip....dip to the east, dip to the west ......dip to get that tricep.