SuperHatch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Upper chest won't grow

Ok, I'm stuck.. I'm 5'10 180lbs and pretty lean. I have development in all the right places. But my middle/upper chest is going nowhere. Since mid-Oct. I've gone up in neck size, biceps, back, lats, legs, everything. I even gained 15lbs as well. I feel stronger and everything. I've been able to get my bench up from 175(yawn) to 230, but now it's getting weaker. My chest is not developing. The lower pecs look perfect, and the outsides (towards the shoulder) are very tight. But my middle and upper pecs sink inward and it's an annoying look. Every other part of me is getting larger but it looks out of proportion. I've tried the following exercises to help my chest:
    Bench presses to the neck
    Incline bench presses (at a low angle and high angle)
    Flat bench presses w/dumb bells
    Peck Dec
    Dumbell flyes
    Cable cross overs
    None of these exercises are helping. I've tried holding the grip far apart and close in (close helps a bit but I feel it more in the triceps rather than chest) I've tried elevating my legs/feet. I try to flex my chest, but it can't quite seem to do it. (because it's too undeveloped?) After each set sometimes I change my grip (on barbell exercises) I've had just a little luck w/bench presses to the neck. But I change my grip a lot. I change it around because my upper chest really starts to sink inward and it looks gross. I have a 6 day a week routine (and I change it around a lot) where I work all the major muscle groups. Anyone have any good tips on how to build my chest. I've read all the major articles and I'm not sure what kind of routine I should start or what I should take! Help me
    Last edited by SuperHatch; 12-29-2004 at 05:23 AM.
    ====================================

"Government always finds a need for whatever money it gets."
    -Ronald Reagan

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
    -Ronald Reagan

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You should ALWAYS do incline bench presses. Try both dumbbels and barbell and see which works better for you. Do it in a 30º to hit the chest good, over that it starts hitting more on the delts. You can also try doing incline (also 30º) flyes along with the incline bench presses. And, for now, go easy on the lower pec work, just untill the upper catches up.

what lower pec exercises should I steer away from?

-Ronald Reagan

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
    -Ronald Reagan

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dips, anything decline, and if your lower chest continues to grow, even flat.

Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pre-exhaust your pectorals with flyes prior to doing incline bench press. Do a warmup set first, before the pre-exhaust set, with incline bench press just to get blood flowing into the area. After your warmup, perform one set (7-10 resp) of flat dumbbell flyes with med-heavy weight. Immediately jump into the incline bench press with an additional 25-30% increase in weight from the warmup set with no rest in between.

Chances are that your chest is under developed as a result of the weaker triceps doing more work than the pectorals. Pre-exhaust the pectorals and your triceps will actually help you go further on your bench when your pecs want to give up.
    Last edited by Augustin; 12-29-2004 at 10:07 AM.

teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Heres something i found out that worked wonders for me.

I did 1 set of incline Db's then followed that with 8 -10 reps of Cable Cross Overs and then back to the DB. (3 - 4 sets each in total). The pump was incredible espcially the incline DB.

I then finish it off with a 3 x 8 of Push ups (legs raised) IMHO the opposing effect of dips, except they work the upper chest. The key thing about doing decline push ups is that one should never lock their elbows when they bring their body weight up, I normally place my legs on a bench and hold on to 2 push-up grips. I dont do it palms on the floor though.

BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by teewoods
    Heres something i found out that worked wonders for me.

I did 1 set of incline Db's then followed that with 8 -10 reps of Cable Cross Overs and then back to the DB. (3 - 4 sets each in total). The pump was incredible espcially the incline DB.

I then finish it off with a 3 x 8 of Push ups (legs raised) IMHO the opposing effect of dips, except they work the upper chest. The key thing about doing decline push ups is that one should never lock their elbows when they bring their body weight up, I normally place my legs on a bench and hold on to 2 push-up grips. I dont do it palms on the floor though.
    What he said.

PS. Your upper chest is one of the last muscles to grow because they are in fact smaller than your pecks.

If you really want them to grow, you'll have to work on them during a bulking cycle. If you don't have a high caloric intake, they won't grow.

-GS
    Lifting is a lifestyle.

what do you mean by pre-exhaust sets? How do you do those? Also, another thing I don't understand is that my friends all are smaller than me, but do the same exercises and their chests are able to develop overall. Any recommendations on where to hold the bar, and how to hold the bar? Should I use heavy weights or not? Should I lock out my elbows or just lift till my elbows are slightly bent? Any more tips?

-Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
    what do you mean by pre-exhaust sets? How do you do those? Also, another thing I don't understand is that my friends all are smaller than me, but do the same exercises and their chests are able to develop overall. Any recommendations on where to hold the bar, and how to hold the bar? Should I use heavy weights or not? Should I lock out my elbows or just lift till my elbows are slightly bent? Any more tips?
    When they mean pre exaust is that you're tyring your chest with an isolation movement before the presses, that way they get hit pretty hard on the workout and will grow. Just normal sets.

People have different genetics. Your friends would have to be your clones to grow exacly like you.

Just hold the bar normaly. Elbows at about a 45º angle with your torso (some might tell you to tuck in the elbows, but that's just bull****, that's taking the chest out of the picture and letting the shoulders and tris do all the work), hold the bar with a strong grip for stability.

IMO, if you're not going heavy you're wasting your time.

Just before lock.

Ok, I'm understanding a little more... I'll try your guys suggested routine in a few days. So I should try the pre-exhaust sets you say. Should I continue to lower the bar to my neck or around the nipple line? Also, do you think that doing incline cable flys I'll get the same development as if I were able to use dumbells, or should I can I stick w/the incline cable flys? Also should I let my arms go really low when I lower the weights with the flys? Or should I only go almost all the way down and then almost all the way up? Thanks for the continuing help guys!

-Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Here is a diagram (that I found) that I just wanted to show you guys... I highlighted the muscles on me that are not developing. Lemme know if I should try the pre-exhaust sets
    Attached Images

-Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BenchPsr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuperHatch
    Here is a diagram (that I found) that I just wanted to show you guys... I highlighted the muscles on me that are not developing. Lemme know if I should try the pre-exhaust sets
    I really have the same problem as you. All I know is that if you just do really hard incline presses and flyes while bulking, they will get bigger.

-GS
    Lifting is a lifestyle.

PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it appears that you want some more depth in the area right below your throat right? try close grip incline bench. go realy deep w/ 'em too. i had the same problem you had b4. just get a nice close grip and go deep. worked for me.

flies and wide grip anything will work your outer chest the most. the closer the grip the bigger the valley in your upper chest.
    good luck bro... keep updating!
    Last edited by PhearaZer; 12-29-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Yoked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yoked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the same problem. I am gifted when it comes to bicepts, tricepts and shoulders but have a very weak upper chest. My chest routine is all incline for now and my results have been pretty good. I cant go deep though with heavy weight, I get a sharp pain in my left shoulder. I bring the bar down until my elbows are even with my chest, anything lower and the pain kicks in. I am seeing the Doc next week to see whats up. For now, alot of ice and motrin.

Keep it up and the chest will grow! Make sure you get plenty of protien intake and rest! Dont over due it!

Peace...

teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Yoked
    I have the same problem. I am gifted when it comes to bicepts, tricepts and shoulders but have a very weak upper chest. My chest routine is all incline for now and my results have been pretty good. I cant go deep though with heavy weight, I get a sharp pain in my left shoulder. I bring the bar down until my elbows are even with my chest, anything lower and the pain kicks in. I am seeing the Doc next week to see whats up. For now, alot of ice and motrin.

Keep it up and the chest will grow! Make sure you get plenty of protien intake and rest! Dont over due it!

Peace...

Thats 99% your R-Cuff! Are you using Dumb bells or barbells? HAd hte injry and 4 yrs on its still there. My advice stop and lifts that incorporate your front delts.

Dips, Bench, upright rows, behind neck press..et al. Also you want to start taking glucosamine. Tried Doctors and they just throw you a few NSAID they dont really care. I'm off for an accupuncture.