newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how to lose some fat while maining size/weight?

i'm 41. 5'10" and weigh around 190lbs. been training for 2 years steady. i'd like to maintain my size but lose some bodyfat which seems to accumulate mainly on my lower abs. i do weights 4-5 days per week and i've tried both low-intensity and higher intensity cardio which i do for 20-45 mins after my workouts. my diet is pretty good, basic bodybuilder type lowfat, good carbs and high protein. of course i'm getting older, but there is much confusion about the cardio aspect. anyone have some informed opinions. thanks.

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Split the weight training and cardio up if possible.

I would also increase healthy fats.
    Psalm 121

TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do cardio right after weight training (30 mins), and as long as I keep cardio at 20 minutes, I have found that I can lose fat without losing muscle.

Doing this..it is tough to add more muscle, although you might see a small percentage each week if you can maintain bodyweight.

Chances are you are still seeing fat because of diet. Check your diet on Fitday.com and see what your ratios are. As Fitty says, you might be too low on fats, too high on carbs, or your calories might be too low. In which case, your body will hang onto the fat for dear life.

Welcome to the board!

Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Streetbull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile Try this!

Try a basic training drill -- run up a mountain (7 miles), do 100 pushups, 100 situps, then run back down that gd mountain! Oh, and carry your pack!

Just kidding! Anyway, the most fat I lost at one time was walking on a 16 day 'outing' in a nameless foreign country. Then live on the local fare, lots of vegetables and rice, very little meat. When we got 'home', my weight had gone up but my waist was a lot smaller. So, walk a lot, cut way down on the meat, and don't volunteer to walk point (he,he!!)

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by newrob
    i'm 41. 5'10" and weigh around 190lbs. been training for 2 years steady. i'd like to maintain my size but lose some bodyfat which seems to accumulate mainly on my lower abs. i do weights 4-5 days per week and i've tried both low-intensity and higher intensity cardio which i do for 20-45 mins after my workouts. my diet is pretty good, basic bodybuilder type lowfat, good carbs and high protein. of course i'm getting older, but there is much confusion about the cardio aspect. anyone have some informed opinions. thanks.
    This is comparable to what I do and where I am right now. I shoot for a 1000 calorie deficit per day and usually end up at a 500 calorie deficit. I am not losing weight right now, but I am gaining lean body mass (and losing fat).

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

vincimus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hey newrob..

I too am 41 yo, been training for a while with a solid routine, good meal plans, good habits. I also found myself wondering why I could not lose the cloud cover around my abs, then the reason dawned on me....its because of the age. When we reach a certain age our bodies do not function with the same efficiancy as they did in our youth. Fortunately there are ways to just say no to the aging process. I began taking MHP T-Bomb II. Its a Testosterone booster for men over 40. I also take NO2 (or NOX or Nitrious Oxide,depending on the brand), a good muti-vitamin and dandelion root. I have seen marked improvement in just 30 days. Give it a try...Oh, by the way, the T-bomb also boosted my sex drive and my fiance REALLY appreciates that! Good luck....