Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Are weighted chins /pull ups bad for your back?

I read somewhere that they might be. For same reason hyperxtensions are .
    Anyone can give some good links for pro /cons of weighted vertical pulls?

JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

There are a lot of pros to doing weighted pull ups. Pull ups are really one of the truly basic exercises that can add some serious mass to your back. If done correctly they can be a real benefit.

The cons... I don't know.

I will look harder, but if you could provide me with the article (or whatever you read) that suggested that it would be great.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." - Lewis "Chesty" Puller

"Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire." - Samuel Johnson

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    You would be doing them gradually, so I'd think you would adapt to them.

If you have such concerns, you should also have them with weighted dips, as they also decompress the spine by hanging weight by your belt.

Personally, I think they'd actually be rather therapeutic and that the decompression is complimentary to exercises like squats and deadlifts which compress your disks. It's much like 'inversion therapy' only with less blood rushing to your head.

If you have that concern though, once you're pulling your bodyweight on the belt you could switch to doing one-arm chins, which wouldn't de-load the spine as much. In fact, there's probably some way of gradually changine a 2-arm pullupg to a 1arm pullup by shifting weight off one arm.

But just like there is with gradually changing 2-arm pushups to 1-arm pushups, it's really subtle and instinctive and hard to measure, so I prefer just hanging weight.

If you think about it, even just hanging without any additional weight, your legs are still pulling on your spine, stressing the ligaments. The thing is, ligaments are designed to bear stuffl ike that, and as long as you do it gradually and eat good food, I would think they'd strengthen in reponse to it.

If you really feel against it though, rather than dangling weight from a dip belt, maybe load chains on top of your shoulders or something? That way, the weight is on your traps and bypasses whatever it does to your spine. Wearing a weighted vest would also do this.

Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There's alot of arm chair experts out there who will say dont do this or that when it comes to exercise. Heaps of people do pullups, I dont know anyone who has injured their back from it... but I know more people who have done their shoulder in doing bench press...

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    If someone who built a bunch of grip strength from say, doing deadlifts, with no experience in decompressive loading of the spine, all of a sudden hung from a chin bar (or a dip bar) with 100lbs strapped to their belt, I could definately see them getting injured. It's a legitimate concern and not some armchair speculation.

A spine that never had to hold itself together by the ligaments suddenly incurring such a burst of a load just isn't a good thing.

But if you go up slowly from unweighted adapting over time, the body'd likely just adapt like it would to anything else.

I plan to do 1-armed once I can though, so it is a good idea I guess for avoiding it if you're worried.

dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No
    sponsored by Bulk Powders Australia
    use code NAPARM in the 'redeem' box at checkout for a discount off your order

Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    You would be doing them gradually, so I'd think you would adapt to them.

If you have such concerns, you should also have them with weighted dips, as they also decompress the spine by hanging weight by your belt.

Personally, I think they'd actually be rather therapeutic and that the decompression is complimentary to exercises like squats and deadlifts which compress your disks. It's much like 'inversion therapy' only with less blood rushing to your head.

If you have that concern though, once you're pulling your bodyweight on the belt you could switch to doing one-arm chins, which wouldn't de-load the spine as much. In fact, there's probably some way of gradually changine a 2-arm pullupg to a 1arm pullup by shifting weight off one arm.

If you really feel against it though, rather than dangling weight from a dip belt, maybe load chains on top of your shoulders or something? That way, the weight is on your traps and bypasses whatever it does to your spine. Wearing a weighted vest would also do this.

Hey man thanks for great advice, reps (albeit you need some uber moderator assitance to get out of red, doubt though you want it ) .

I will defintely consider 1 armed ones ( as soon as I get strong enough to do them).

And yeah dips cause same concern (albeit shoulders and wrist with them are much more of a concern)