problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10) problemchild is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What gym should i join?

I'm thinking of joining a gym and want to know from you guys whats the best gym in terms of equipment,state of the art equipment, size, the #of hot girls, ,the features(sauna,bball court,pool,etc) for the price. HOw much does it cost.

What gym do you get most out of your $

Whats in my mine is 24hours, balley, Velocity Sports (mostly HS athletes), YMCA

Could you guys tell me more of any of those gyms or any other

which one do you guys pick and recommend

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think you may have some different ambitions besides bodybuilding in deciding what gym to join just by reading some of the things you list... (# of hot girls, sauna, hot tub, etc)... the big thing I look for is an environment that is directed toward improvement in my training. That will include:

Good equipment and lots of it
    Hours that fit my workout schedule
    Clean
    Not too busy or cramped

And the number one thing that helps....
    People that share my same goals and passions

If you surround yourself with other dedicated individuals that are willing to provide and environment that is constructive and supportive you will find you will make much more progress because you enjoy working out in such an environment.

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

westsnoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) westsnoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Proximity is my most important qualifier. My Powerhouse gym is five minutes away; if it was farther I wouldn't be nearly as good about getting there.

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

I went with Bally mainly because of location -- there are several of them in the metropolitan area where I live -- and also because I could get a membership that allows me into any one of their facilities nationwide. Last week I was in Colorado Springs visiting my sister for the holidays, and got to go to the Bally there twice -- just handed them the card and walked in. It was somewhat pricey to join, but it's all paid for now save the annual renewals after my three year contract runs out next October.

My main gripes with them are their membership drives, where you're just going in there to get a workout and they twist your arm at the door to bring a friend or relative in for free so that they can work them over to join, and also how much they charge for the extra classes, Pilates and things like that, considering how much I paid up front for the memberhip. Personal trainers are about $50 an hour, too.

But on balance, I'm glad I joined -- outgrew (not literally) the equipment at the Company gym, which is free.

C.K.
    Last edited by stahlhart; 12-25-2004 at 04:59 AM.

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

And I personally could pass on swimming pools at the gym; I'd bet that after you've been there for a while you'd begin to lament how much of a waste of space they are compared to how much equipment you could fit in the same space, for the number of people who actually use them.

C.K.

HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardBody is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Location, location, depending on where you live your not going to want to get in your car and drive and fight traffic. Also the hours that the gym is open, you don't want to plan your day around your gym time, you want the gym open when you want to go not when it's open. Other then that most gyms are have enough equipment for the beginner

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You should join the gym that you will go to regularly.

TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Location is number one.

Hot guys are number two.

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, I did forget to mention location which is a big factor... if it's not close by you can often make the excuse that you can't afford the time to go there and back to get into shape. I have a new Golds gym nearly across the street from my office but travel down the road a few extra miles to get back to my original Golds as it has the atmosphere I enjoy... more hardcore than spa like.
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

Atmosphere has a lot to do with it for me as well. For a while I was going to one particular Bally in a blue-collar city downriver, as it had this earthy thing going on there that I really liked. Just a bunch of "regular" folks that I felt real comfortable around; there'd be these guys from the steel mill that would go there as a group and yak it up and joke at the top of their lungs while they were working out, and it could get real hilarious sometimes.

But I have since moved and I'm a bit too far away from it now for the trip to be practical, which is a shame because I really liked that place a lot, enough to where it kept me motivated to show up on a regular basis.

C.K.

goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by problemchild
    .......24hours, balley, Velocity Sports (mostly HS athletes), YMCA

Could you guys tell me more of any of those gyms or any other

which one do you guys pick and recommend
    Most important to me:
    1. Hours of operation....I workout at some odd times due to work schedule and sleep habits
    2. Location

I have two memberships: 24 hour fitness and a smaller locally-owned place.
    I'll mess with Texas.

Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000)
    That depends on you? You have to ask yourself why you workout and at what level. If you consider yourself hardcore, then joining a spa is the wrong thing to do even if there are hot woman there.
    I agree with Most Muscular. Now after saying that, I belong to a local Y because there is a morning group that are mostly hardcore and it offers the most bang for the buck with a family membership. My first choice which I used to go to was a dirty hardcore gym a few blocks away. Couldn't afford both memberships, so besides location, money may play a role also.
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

twood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been a member at Bally's and 24 HF. I think they're both pretty good gyms. (Currently, I'm at 24HF)

Good Luck.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My gym has a good cross section of people who are serious at about what they do at the gym. Some are bodybuilders, powerlifters, weight losers, police, fireman young and old. There is a four lane lap pool, 4 raquetball courts, an aerobics gym, a stationary bike and treadmill room and a circuit weight room. There is a suana, hot tub, shower and locker rooms. There are classes (various, yoga, pilates, aerobics, power crunches, etc.) all day from morning until 8 pm in the aerobics gym. And of course, there is what I refer to as "the gym".

The gym is divided up into 50% free weights (some smith machines and hammer strength) and 50% pulley/lever machines (This area also has about 10 ellipticals).

I like this place because of:
    the people who use it
    the convenience (it is on the way home from work and not too far from home).
    the cost is reasonable

What I don't like is:
    They close for every holiday (today at 1pm, all day tomorrow and Sunday at 1pm.).
    Some of the instructors won't permit the use of chalk.
    I see a big increase of resoluters (new members) coming through at this time of year.

Check out your options, choose a gym that is convenient to your work or home, check out the people who will be there at the time you will be working out. (There are different atmospheres at different times in many gyms.)

If you are uncertain, don't sign long term contracts.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

<^>(0_o)<^> has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What gym should i join?

A good one....haha j/k YMCA you cant go wrong with them they got everything theres like 6 down here in Nashville,tn I LOVE EM

Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinasmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm in Nashville too---and also belong to the YMCA. I really like it for a few reasons:

1)I can use any location (I have my favorite when I bring my daughter with me, a mediocre one right by my house that works when I need to get in an early am workout, others in different parts of the city if I have other errands to do afterwards, etc...)

2)the hours are good for my schedule

3)they offer a variety of classes that suit my needs (yoga, spin, kickboxing)

4)the two locations I prefer have a great selection of weights/machines for me.

Bottom line----choose a gym that works for YOU. What works for one person may not work for another. If you are interested in picking up girls I suggest you try a bar or nightclub!

Originally Posted by Alinasmommy
    If you are interested in picking up girls I suggest you try a bar or nightclub!
    And additionally it might not hurt to read this thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=328658

C.K.

<^>(0_o)<^> has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Alinasmommy
    I'm in Nashville too---and also belong to the YMCA. I really like it for a few reasons:

1)I can use any location (I have my favorite when I bring my daughter with me, a mediocre one right by my house that works when I need to get in an early am workout, others in different parts of the city if I have other errands to do afterwards, etc...)

2)the hours are good for my schedule

3)they offer a variety of classes that suit my needs (yoga, spin, kickboxing)

4)the two locations I prefer have a great selection of weights/machines for me.

Bottom line----choose a gym that works for YOU. What works for one person may not work for another. If you are interested in picking up girls I suggest you try a bar or nightclub!
    Hey wich ones your favorite? I like marilyn Farms and Green hills

RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been with 24 Hour Fitness for 3 years now, mainly due to convenience and clean facilities. When I joined they offered a three year package up front and any year after would be $49.00 for the whole year!

Good luck.