Shion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Amount of reps for deadlift and squat?

The title says it all.

I usually aim for 10 repetitions per set for each exercise, but lately I've been wondering if going heavy on the two biggest compounds would produce better gains. My logic is that the heavier I go, the more stress I put on my body, thus the more testosterone released and so on. By heavy I mean 6 repetitions per set, max. Do you think this would be a good idea, or would the risk of injury be too great to be worth it?

How many reps do each of you aim for for both of these exercises?

Registered User BigTruckGuy3500's Avatar
    BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well, depends on how old you are. If you're 17 and under then I wouldn't do it. If you're 18-20, you could probably get away with it. If you're over that then go for it. But the gains should be good, depending on your body. I believe Derek Charlebois from the other section used to do low reps with squats and he's got monster legs. I do around 7-8 reps for deadlifts, and my gains are real nice. I currently don't have the weights, otherwise I'd be doing 6-8 reps per set on squats. Hope this helps, and goodluck.

the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50) the_kid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Shion
    The title says it all.

I usually aim for 10 repetitions per set for each exercise, but lately I've been wondering if going heavy on the two biggest compounds would produce better gains. My logic is that the heavier I go, the more stress I put on my body, thus the more testosterone released and so on. By heavy I mean 6 repetitions per set, max. Do you think this would be a good idea, or would the risk of injury be too great to be worth it?
    This has a lot to do with genetics as well. Generally, leg muscles contain a good amount of red fibers and therefore you should be able to train with more volume but the number will vary depending on the person. If you are strictly looking for size, you should use a variety of set and rep schemes. When you use lower reps, you will be targetting the white fibers and when you use higher reps, more red fibers will be recruited. You just have to find what gives you the best gains and focus most of your time on that training style.

How many reps do each of you aim for for both of these exercises?
    For squats, it depends on my goals, size or strength. I have found 3-4 reps work well for strength and 8-10 reps for hypertrophy. I never go any higher than 6 reps on deadlifts. I really do not see the point to go any higher as I do not want my lower back to grow in size, I just want a stronger back.

AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Squats: I'm gonna range the reps from 1-5

Deadlifts: 1-3 (no question about it here....deadlifts are better in a lower rep range)

I'll end up doing 1-8 sets if its a heavy day....if its DE Squat day ill do 10x2 on box squats at 50-65% max

Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by UnlimitedSteel
    Squats: I'm gonna range the reps from 1-5

Deadlifts: 1-3 (no question about it here....deadlifts are better in a lower rep range)

I'll end up doing 1-8 sets if its a heavy day....if its DE Squat day ill do 10x2 on box squats at 50-65% max
    Are you a powerlifter or a bodybuilder...
    --- Ron Paul 2008!!! ---

Go 'BOOM', like you're saying, "Take a look at this hunk a man."

"That's the ultimate power -- your vocabulary. How you communicate. Study vocabulary. The more words you have, the better you can communicate, and the quicker you can put someone away."

Real men are not available. They are climbing mountains. They are swimming across rivers. What are YOU doing? Browsing a goddamn forum?!?!?!?!!

AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Ironager
    Are you a powerlifter or a bodybuilder...
    Powerlifter.

Shion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, then I guess I'll be going with lower reps for legs and keep my deadlift the same. My squat is ridiculously weak compared to my deadlift... I've been following strict bodybuilder training for about 5 months. I say training because I can't afford to eat properly at the moment, so I eat like a regular person would. I get 100g of protein on a very, very good day. When I say my squat is very weak compared to my deadlift, it's very true, the same thing happens with my bench. I hit 315 pound deadlift last week and my bench is about 160-180, and my squat about the same as my bench. I don't quite get why this is, but I guess I'll train for strength on them for a while before switching for mass.

Well, then I guess I'll be going with lower reps for legs and keep my deadlift the same. My squat is ridiculously weak compared to my deadlift... I've been following strict bodybuilder training for about 5 months. I say training because I can't afford to eat properly at the moment, so I eat like a regular person would. I get 100g of protein on a very, very good day. When I say my squat is very weak compared to my deadlift, it's very true, the same thing happens with my bench. I hit 315 pound deadlift last week and my bench is about 160-180, and my squat about the same as my bench. I don't quite get why this is, but I guess I'll train for strength on them for a while before switching for mass.
    Yeah, up your protein.

My deadlift is about to surpass my squat by 110+lbs....but once I get back into squatting, there should only be about a 75-85lb difference.

You'll get there, just keep training.