Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Milk - Interesting Reading...

Because of the influence of ATrainer, a freak of muscle himself, I am going to up my intake of Skim Milk to at least 1/2 gallon per day, in 2 cups increments. Add this with the lessons learned here from many of you, the whole picture is coming together.

The below is an article I found, which is interesting. Milk is the most inexpensive and most well-rounded nutrient source of protein, calcium and many other nutrients, that is easily overlooked. So, if you are not lactose-intolerant, I hope this may help you:

Liquid muscle: protein-rich milk definitely does your body good - Active Nutrition - Statistical Data Included

Men's Fitness, Oct, 2001 by Michael Berg

Save a personal copy of this article and quickly find it again with Furl.net. Get started now. (It's free.) Got milk? If you're trying to put on muscle, you better. Whole milk was once a staple for guys who were packing away calories and moving massive amounts of iron in order to go from pencil neck to bull neck. These days we know enough to shun or restrict the saturated-fat-filled whole variety in favor of skim, but even the fat-free version has its detractors. Some claims against milk link it to childhood diabetes, while others allege widespread pesticide contamination of dairy products.

However, Kristin Reimers, M.S., R.D., associate director at the International Center for Sports Nutrition in Omaha, t Neb., says the attacks on milk are largely hype. "Let's face it, dietary fat as the `bad guy' is old news, and every good story needs a bad guy," she says. "Milk is the new bad guy of the day. After a while, it'll get back to beef, then maybe sugar. It's the cycle of 100-percentunfounded food bashing."

Using an array of accusations and smear tactics that would make James Carville proud, food bashers push a lot of buttons in their battle against milk, but Reimers implores people not to get misled. "I have absolutely no reservations about recommending milk," she says. "Skim milk is a good choice for men who are looking to add muscle mass. It's convenient, inexpensive, high in protein, full of vitamins and minerals, and tastes good to boot."

MILK'S PROTEIN POWER

Ahh, workout's done. Time to kick back on the couch with the Cheez Doodles and feel that muscle building kick into action, right? Not if you're serious about creating a more muscular physique. You can do all the biceps curls you want, but you won't add a centimeter to those guns without protein and other nutrients to rebuild what you've broken down during training.

Milk has plenty of protein--about nine grams per cup (eight ounces)--and that protein contains all eight essential amino acids, which means it's complete and can be readily used by your body for repair and growth. For hardgainers, who need to cram down protein every three hours, milk can be a major boon. Drinking an extra, and inexpensive, 30 grams of protein a day won't leave you feeling too stuffed for one of your regular feedings.

Milk actually includes two types of protein: casein, which makes up 80 percent of the total protein content, and whey, which accounts for the remaining 20 percent. Both are recognized as high-quality, muscle-building proteins; in fact, whey is currently the most common form of protein found in bodybuilding supplements.

Numerous studies, including a recent report published in the American Journal of Physiology that examined the body's anabolic response to whey, casein and amino-acid consumption, show whey to be a fast-acting protein absorbed quickly for use by muscles. Casein digests more slowly, providing your body with a steady stream of protein over time. Getting both nutrients in one relatively inexpensive source is a double whammy for a growth-starved guy who doesn't have the time or facilities to mix up a powder-based protein shake at work.

MILK REPLACES ELECTROLYTES

Of course, milk has a lot more nutrients than just protein: vitamins D, A, [B.sub.2] and [B.sup.12], phosphorous, electrolytes and bone-building calcium, to name a few, all of which must be replenished if you're working your butt off in the gym.

Keep in mind that when you sweat--which you should be doing plenty of in your cardio bouts if you expect results--you lose calcium as well as the electrolytes sodium and potassium. Hence, milk may indeed be just what your body needs after a workout, since it contains significant levels of all those minerals.

For men, one of the most valuable minerals found in milk is calcium. A study in the American Journal of Medicine showed that American men tend to come up short of the recommended 1,200 milligrams a day. Since active guys lose even more calcium through sweat, they stand to be even worse off. But don't think that calcium is important strictly for the health of your bones and teeth. Researchers at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville found that eating two servings of low-fat, calcium-enriched foods a day inhibits a hormone which causes the body to store fat. Since a glass of skim milk contains about 300 milligrams of calcium, it could be your ticket to a leaner physique.

Some anecdotal evidence advises against milk when you're trying to get shredded. In fact, professional bodybuilders, whose livelihood depends on cutting body-fat levels to precarious depths, seem to shy away from milk as a rule during contest preparations. But is it really necessary to drop the milk entirely in favor of lean meat and protein supplements?

"If an individual can tolerate and digest milk properly, meaning he isn't lactose-intolerant [to experience bloating or abdominal pain after ingesting milk or dairy products], then there's no reason why skim milk cannot be used as a lean source of protein," says Debra Wein, M.S., R.D., president of The Sensible Nutrition Connection Inc., a company that offers online nutrition counseling for bodybuilders and other athletes.

The key is moderation. If you're trying to get cut, you need to account for every calorie. In that regard, other food sources give you protein without the added carbohydrates. Milk, then, shouldn't be your primary source of protein, but rather one of many.

HOW MUCH MILK IS ENOUGH?

"It's difficult to make a sweeping, general recommendation for the number of milk servings you should consume per day," Wein says. "I suggest you assess your protein needs and use milk as one of many sources of protein in your diet."

If you're a relatively skinny guy working hard to gain loads of muscle mass, try to drink at least four cups of fat-free milk a day, spreading out the servings evenly, perhaps an extra helping after training mixed with a scoop of protein powder. Or, if the thought of a heavy dose of postworkout milk makes your stomach churn, you can double the potency of a single eight-ounce serving by adding milk powder, thus getting the extra protein without having to down two glasses. Now go get that gallon out of the fridge and chug. Just be sure to wipe that mustache off before you leave the house--unless you are Oscar de la Hoya or Mark McGwire, it's definitely not cool to walk around sporting a white upper lip.

LACTOSE LOWDOWN

Many adults are allergic to the lactose in milk. This condition, called lactose intolerance, means your small intestine lacks the enzyme lactase, which breaks lactose down into two molecules that are easily absorbed into the bloodstream, explains sports nutritionist Kristin Reimers, R.D. This uncomfortable condition can lead to bloating, flatulence, even diarrhea.

"Lactose intolerance is most common in African Americans and Hispanics, and [in] other populations who didn't evolve on cow's milk," Reimers continues. "Other groups, those from Scandinavian descent, almost never have lactose intolerance. Even those who have some lactose intolerance can usually tolerate up to a cup of milk at a meal, for example."

Remedies for lactose intolerance include taking a lactase pill when consuming milk, or drinking Lactaid-brand milk, which has the same number of calories, carbs and protein as traditional fat-free milk but in which the lactose has already been broken down.

MILK'S BENEFITS FOR FIT GUYS/GALS

Minerals NEEDED FOR:

Calcium Development and maintenance of bones and
    teeth; muscle contraction; nerve
    transmission.

Phosphorous Development and maintenance of bones and
    teeth; energy metabolism.

Vitamins

A Growth and repair of body tissues; bone
    formation; healthy skin and hair.

[B.sub.2] (riboflavin) Red blood cell formation; nervous-system
    function; vision; metabolism of
    macronutrients.

[B.sub.12] (cobalamin) Blood formation; healthy nervous system.

D Calcium absorption; development of
    bone mass; maintenance of calcium and
    phosphorous levels in the blood.

Electrolytes

Potassium, sodium Proper water distribution in the body; muscle
    contraction; nerve conduction.

Source: Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning; National
    Strength and Conditioning Association
    Last edited by Mark1T; 12-19-2004 at 12:20 PM.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good post Mark. I'll keep drinking my skim milk.

JigaroKagan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have nearly a gallon of regular milk a day.

Mother Goose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mother Goose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mother Goose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Any of you guys drink 2%?

I'm in University, but my parents still do all the grocery shopping for me (thankfully, ca-ching $$$). Ever since I started eating (and bulking) better, I've made milk a big contribution to my diet.

Before, my family used to buy one bag of milk (4 L) for a week. It was mostly consumed by my dad, and we sometimes had trouble going through all 4 litres.

Now, my parents buy me 3 * 4 = 12 L of milk for a week, and I usually finish it all by my lonesome.

This Christmas, I've run out of money to spend on protein powder, but come on, do you really need it? 1 serving of whey protein powder usually gets you 20-25 g of protein...drinking 2-3 cups of milk will net you the equivalent!

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah, I love my 2% milk.
    I'm not a big eater, so I find it hard to pack in the calories and the rest of my diet is really quite clean, so 2% fat milk is the ticket for me.

I end up going through about 9-10 litres per week.

Every time I read that one should not drink milk or consume dairy products I laugh. Such a great source of complete proteins that many are scared to try just incase they may be lactose intolerant. What a joke.

Great read Mark, thanks.
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

NO, I Didn't Think So ! The_Ripper's Avatar
    The_Ripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Ripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Ripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Love my Milk !! Have to show my wife so she can stop complaining about my Milk consumption.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good post Mark.

When I did this 20 years ago, everyone was talking about milk, steak and eggs for protein. Now it is whey, tuna, and chicken.
    I have been increasing my consumption of nonfat milk. I was looking for sources of protein, and right there it was a good one in my refrigerator.

Don't forget nonfat plain yogurt. It has all of the benefits and more.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Oregon Adonis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oregon Adonis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oregon Adonis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oregon Adonis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Good info...............love my skim milk, drink over a half gallon a day. Don't quite understand all the negative stuff over time, but if you mega analyze any food I guess there's something that can be said against anything.

ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Mother Goose
    Before, my family used to buy one bag of milk (4 L) for a week. It was mostly consumed by my dad, and we sometimes had trouble going through all 4 litres.
    We go through 16 gallons (64L) a week at my house. Great post Mark. I have a friend who is paranoid of milk from all the anti-milk propaganda articles. I'll have to show him this.

I could probably trace my love of milk back to that Heather Locklear 'Got Milk' commercial from 25 years ago.
    www.revised-training.com
    Training got better

urb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ATrainer
    We go through 16 gallons (64L) a week at my house. Great post Mark. I have a friend who is paranoid of milk from all the anti-milk propaganda articles. I'll have to show him this.

I could probably trace my love of milk back to that Heather Locklear 'Got Milk' commercial from 25 years ago.
    those anti-milk propaganda articles really piss me off.

i also hate bill maher because he thinks that milk shouldn't be drunk because it was meant for baby cows. WELL WHAT ABOUT WHEAT?! that wasn't meant for ANY organism to eat. why do we eat so much of that???
    HUH BILL HUH?!?! u stupid, unfunny hack.

someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000)
    best part of bulking has been having my non fat latte every morning! i am starting to cut, so i am back to black coffee.

rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by urb
    those anti-milk propaganda articles really piss me off.

i also hate bill maher because he thinks that milk shouldn't be drunk because it was meant for baby cows. WELL WHAT ABOUT WHEAT?! that wasn't meant for ANY organism to eat. why do we eat so much of that???
    HUH BILL HUH?!?! u stupid, unfunny hack.
    Yep, these are the same folks that drive Hummers and then complain about the environment and US energy policies....LOL

Not a big fan of 2%, but then don't really like skim either. Kroger stores in Houston sells 1/2% milk (yes, 1/2%). Not as watery as skim, but it also has no fat to speak of. However, If I can't find the 1/2%, I'll still go with 2%. To me skim taste like 2% with water added.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by rsw1
    Not a big fan of 2%, but then don't really like skim either. Kroger stores in Houston sells 1/2% milk (yes, 1/2%). Not as watery as skim, but it also has no fat to speak of. However, If I can't find the 1/2%, I'll still go with 2%. To me skim taste like 2% with water added.
    I have gone from whole milk, to 2%, to 1% and now skim, nofat milk. I can't say I like it as much as I liked the others, but I have learned to drink it. Whole milk and 2% tastes too creamy to me now. I really don't need this source of fat in my diet, so...skim for me.

I have learned to love nonfat plain yogurt. Try it with berries and/or mixed nuts. It is my dessert before bed.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Sugars in Milk...

Thanks for all the responses and really great feedback guys and girls.

BTW - another sub-subject we can extend on, is that the brand of Skim I buy, has 12g of sugars per cup.

Can anyone expound on what kind of sugars this is noting? Is it sugars that are added for taste, or are they natural sugars?

What do you think about this?
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T
    Thanks for all the responses and really great feedback guys and girls.

BTW - another sub-subject we can extend on, is that the brand of Skim I buy, has 12g of sugars per cup.

Can anyone expound on what kind of sugars this is noting? Is it sugars that are added for taste, or are they natural sugars?

What do you think about this?
    I may stand corrected, but I believe those are natural sugar alcohols they're refering to.

Tattoo'd Biker Accountant ShadowRydr's Avatar
    ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowRydr is just really nice. (+1000)
    Love my skim milk. I try to drink 2-6 cups a day of the stuff. Usually I mix in a scoop of vanilla whey and/or some weight gain formula. Like a previous poster, I at times find it hard to eat the amount of calories I require, but drinking it is a satisfactory alternative to me. Plus, I love the taste of milk.

ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T
    Lactose is the natural sugar in milk. By the way, the ratio of protein/sugar in milk is pretty optimal.
    www.revised-training.com
    Training got better

Originally Posted by ATrainer
    Lactose is the natural sugar in milk. By the way, the ratio of protein/sugar in milk is pretty optimal.
    Thanks AT