taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorjonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is Keto unhealthy over extended periods of time?

I have been reading up on Keto for the last 2 weeks and am wanting to start this diet. I have talked to a few friends and they all say I am going to clog my arteries and get high cholesterol. I understand that the cholesterol isn't really true because that is mostly genetic and isn't really totally related to your diet but the clogging arteries thing I have no clue about.

Does anyone know if Keto has any long term side effects or studies that prove/disprove any side effects?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd say it depends on just how low your carb intake. I have it on good authority and personal experience that a diet with as little as ~100g of carbs is just fine over long periods of time if you have a high fat intake.

But if you're talking about like, Atkins induction phase kind of low-carb diet, I doubt it would be too healthy. Your health would probably get worse because you'd be missing the essential nutrients found in fruits and starchy vegetables, and you'd also be pretty low on fiber.
    Last edited by Stagger; 12-31-2004 at 02:08 PM.

BD231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BD231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've done induction for 10 months, muscle and bone loss was horrific.

Not healthy at all IMO.
    "Count the shells suck'a'duck!!!!"

Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BD231
    I've done induction for 10 months, muscle and bone loss was horrific.

Not healthy at all IMO.
    Really? How did you measure bone loss?
    /M\

Who's High Pitch

JeremyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    According to my last physical (2 months into keto) my cholesterol was the lowest its ever been in my adult life. Imagine that, downing bacon by the pound LOWERED my cholesterol

BD231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BD231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My bones became frail. Seriously, bone density was down majorly and even my knee caps decreased in size!

My cholesterol was way down as well...... I think it was all mainly due to much cardio and not enough calcium to support the digestion of all the protein (protein needs calcium for transportation in the body).

Now I make sure to take a ton of calcium whenever I diet, or even when I'm not dieting for that matter.
    Last edited by BD231; 01-07-2005 at 08:29 AM.
    "Count the shells suck'a'duck!!!!"

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had a physical done after a year of keto. Everything was on the low side of normal except my bones which had become denser. If you do it properly, with lots of fresh whole foods (and lots and lots of veg) it is probably the healthiest diet you can do. And certainly it's the easiest to live with.

There are several well-conducted and well-controlled studies out there to show that a keto or similar low-carb diet is not unhealthy. I think the Atkins website keeps a list of them.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    [QUOTE=BD231]I've done induction for 10 months, muscle and bone loss was horrific.

I'll have to look it up to get the details, but I remember reading about a study on older women, which showed that a high protein diet, where calcium intake was low, caused the bones to excrete calcium and become weaker. However, a high protein diet where calcium intake is high, tends to remineralise the bones and make them stronger.

Since BBers are athletes, their calcium requirements are often higher than the typical RDA of 800-1000mg (depending on where you live and if you are pregnant/breast feeding). A good keto diet, which includes lots of green veg, nuts, seeds and cheese, should provide sufficent calcium, but it makes sense to take a good cal/mag supplement every day. Calcium on its own tends to do more harm than good. If in doubt, up your magnesium rather than your calcium.

Grazing at the Fina Farm Bouncer79's Avatar
    Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nothing wrong at all with staying on keto year around ASSUMING you are cycling carb-periods in. A CKD utilizes PW carbs as well as the weekly carb-up of 24-48 hours (dependant upon each individual's needs and size). I use it every year for cutting after my bulk... no muscle loss and excellent cutting results.

I know plenty of bros who never stop on the diet.

www.c-k-d.com

sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sickwitit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    low carb blows

Grazing at the Fina Farm Bouncer79's Avatar
    Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sickwitit
    low carb blows
    Do you have any studies about that?

NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    low carb blows
    Just because you don't have the nuts to dedicate yourself to a diet as strict as a CKD doesn't mean it blows. moron.
    It's mainstream because it's shallow. -George Carlin

Don't argue with homosexuals, they'll put you in the red!

Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by NJE
    Just because you don't have the nuts to dedicate yourself to a diet as strict as a CKD doesn't mean it blows. moron.
    Strict? It has been the easiest diet plan I have ever done. Its the American in me that says give me red meat right now! But I agree. The poster is just clueless.

NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NJE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Meta
    Strict? It has been the easiest diet plan I have ever done. Its the American in me that says give me red meat right now! But I agree. The poster is just clueless.
    It is strict in a sense that you must be careful with your carb intake. For someone who is used to pounding down the carbs, the first 2 weeks can be very difficult. I personally found it to be very easy also, especially with the results that I saw.
    It's mainstream because it's shallow. -George Carlin

Don't argue with homosexuals, they'll put you in the red!

EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    low carb blows
    People like you give us non low carb dieters a bad name. I agree that something like atkins isn't the best for a bodybuilder, but keto is good. Funny thing too is that you will never read any of the bros in here like bouncer, chi, or fitnessman saying "well, the typical 40/40/20 diet is complete horse **** and only queers would do such a diet". Think maybe that's because they know that not all diets fit all people?

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by EliteLifts
    People like you give us non low carb dieters a bad name. I agree that something like atkins isn't the best for a bodybuilder, but keto is good. Funny thing too is that you will never read any of the bros in here like bouncer, chi, or fitnessman saying "well, the typical 40/40/20 diet is complete horse **** and only queers would do such a diet". Think maybe that's because they know that not all diets fit all people?
    HAHA, funny thing is this guy makes most low carb dieters more intelligent

The f*cking champion... CalyxRai's Avatar
    CalyxRai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    *sigh* Nothing better than a troll who comes into the Keto forum - just to tell us it blows. Thanks guy! We were formerly unenlightened but thanks to you, now we know! Keep on trucking! *sarcasm off*

Rai //
    www.FarewellRadiance.com

Originally Posted by EliteLifts
    What can brown do for you?