Kieave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training while pregnant?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on training during and after pregnancy?

I'm 32 weeks along now and, although I am getting plenty of cardio with cross-country skiing and aquafit sessions, I've pretty much dropped any anaerobic training out of my fitness regimen. I still lift weights several times a week, but with such high reps/low weight that it can't be doing much for me, except to keep me in a positive frame of mind. We are planning to have a couple more children, but I don't want to completely sacrifice my body for the next half-decade. Any thoughts?

-Kieave

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Kieave
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips on training during and after pregnancy?

I'm 32 weeks along now and, although I am getting plenty of cardio with cross-country skiing and aquafit sessions, I've pretty much dropped any anaerobic training out of my fitness regimen. I still lift weights several times a week, but with such high reps/low weight that it can't be doing much for me, except to keep me in a positive frame of mind. We are planning to have a couple more children, but I don't want to completely sacrifice my body for the next half-decade. Any thoughts?

-Kieave
    32 weeks!! Geezz.. give it a couple more weeks and are going to pop anyway!

It sounds like you have done your research anyway (dropped the anaerobic exercise and doing low impact stuff like skiing and aqua) but I would go and talk to your doctor!! As you are well aware, pregnancy has some pretty specific concerns in terms of exercise. Things like:
    - not getting your core temperature up high (this is esp in the first 4 months, you can really harm the bub... but you are well past this time now),
    - not getting your BP up (you need to take note of this, at 32 weeks this is VERY important!!),
    - not getting your HR too high (they suggest you use 150 bpm as a max if you are fit... 140 if you are not),
    - not doing certain exercises (such as things where you lie on your back, deep squats, things where your hips are higher than your head, things where you change position quickly... these are important to you as you are later in your pregnancy).

You also need to be careful about different moves because all your ligaments and tendons are a little more 'flexable' than they normally are - so you can cause yourself injury if you are not careful...

Moderation is the key when it comes to your weights sessions. I would keep all your sessions fairly short and (as much as it pains you) lower in intensity. Don't overly drain yourself unless you want to wind up with hypoglycaemia issues (low blood sugar levels) and you might just find yourself waking up on the gym floor after passing out!!

You are just going to have to face the facts that you will have to practice patience for the next few weeks (and the few 4 to 6 weeks after the birth as well).

Get back to it when you and the bub are through the birth intact!

Congratulations and good luck with it!