OK, my dad threw a hissy fit because I leave my cell phone charger plugged in even when I am not charging my phone. He says someone could get electrocuted, or it could start a fire. I say it is fine. Can anyone provide some solid info that I am right so I can print it out and put it in his lunchbox for him to read when he gets to work
12-13-2004, 06:48 PM #1
Leaving a cell phone charger plugged in?
12-13-2004, 06:52 PM #2
- Join Date: Nov 2004
- Location: Metropolis, Illinois, United States
- Stats: 0'6", 2 lbs
- Posts: 10,251
- BodyPoints: 7650
- Rep Power: 17931
it could start a fire or get someone electrocuted because the electrons are still moving but they need a conductor to do something because they die out.
Soon as the electrons get a hold of metal or iron or zinc theres a risk of someone getting electrocuted or fire starting but its like a 1/1,000,000 chance that it would happen
unless you have a motorola phone then there is a bigger chance
12-13-2004, 06:53 PM #3
- Join Date: Nov 2001
- Location: Pennsylvania, United States
- Age: 28
- Posts: 14,189
- BodyPoints: 2247
- Rep Power: 5637
12-13-2004, 07:09 PM #4Originally Posted by Ruthless4Life
12-14-2004, 12:04 AM #5Originally Posted by shadyninereRepublik Game:
12-14-2004, 01:22 AM #6
all phone chargers are left plugged in in my house. I think it would differ from leaving usual household appliances plugged in because it converts from alternating current into direct current. This would make electricution practially impossible. One of the main reasons AC was far more succesful when first invented was because it could be used on the electric chair when DC couldn't so no electricutions for you. Now fires could only happen if you poked a conductor into the head of the charger and made it make contact with the side of the charger head. This would then heat up and it would have to be kept next something that could burn, like curtains, carpet etc. But unless some1 is poking a cunductor into it it wont burn. The other side definately wont burn. The case for the charger is heat resistant ABS which has been tested against stuff like that. So yeh, your dad deserves a drop kick in the nuts." 'Hey buddy, my daddy died for that flag.'
'Really? I bought mine. Yeah, they sell them at K-Mart and ****.'
'He died in the Korean War.'
'Wow, what a coincidence. Mine was made in Korea.'
No one – and I repeat, no one – has ever died for a flag. See, a flag ... is just a piece of cloth. They may have died for freedom, which is also the freedom to burn the ****in' flag, see. That's freedom."
- Bill Hicks
12-14-2004, 06:51 AM #7
12-14-2004, 06:54 AM #8
- Join Date: Oct 2004
- Location: In Hawkeye Country!!!!!
- Age: 36
- Stats: 5'9", 249 lbs
- Posts: 22,545
- BodyPoints: 1164
- Rep Power: 20876
12-14-2004, 07:05 AM #9
Low Risk BUT....
All chargers must be UL certified and pass numerous tests. ( I work for a company that makes phones BTW) They usually are quite safe but sometimes they can cause a fire if they are defective. The one thing they do is burn electricity as long as they are plugged in to the wall so if you leave one plugged in expect to pay more on your electricity bill each month. Now THAT would cause me to pitch a hissy fit. I side with your dad.
12-14-2004, 07:51 AM #10Originally Posted by doughasmuscles
12-14-2004, 08:15 AM #11