Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

O/T Shaking after workout

What does it mean when you are involuntarily shaking after a workout? What is your body telling you? I had a tough leg workout today, and while I was stretching afterwards, I would catch my legs shaking like I was shivering. It's happened a few times and I just want to know why.
    "Tryin' to minimize the issue, but I'm keeping it large
    I love the place that I live, but I hate the people in charge" -IT

jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What supplements are you taking? Getting enough water?

Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jason_bh View Post
    no sups, and I am hardly ever low on water

LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah I used to get that too especially when I went real heavy for multiple sets. A couple of times I can recall this happening for me was when I was doing a hit based workout.

DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I was a newbie it happened to me for roughly 6 months on heavy days.
    "The government today announced that it is changing its emblem from an Eagle to a CONDOM because it more accurately reflects the government's political stance. A condom allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed. "

I've been working out for over a year now. It wasn't especially heavy. I did change from doing leg press (usual) to barbell lunges today. It was 3x8, upping the weight each set.

Originally Posted by jason_bh View Post
    now that I think about it, it was the same feeling I have after a tough 5k, so you could be right about the water. Why does your body shake though.

ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I used to get that. Try eating a banana before you work out. I think most recommendations on this matter involve taking potassium or magnesium. I used to have a magnesium supplement that I added to my diet for a while and the shaking and leg cramps I had before stopped. I used to have this twitching in my arm too that went away with adequate magnesium intake. If your diet is in order, you shouldn't have a magnesium or potassium deficit though.

Maybe you just weren't hydrated enough. Or it could be because your muscles weren't cooled down properly. I.e. if you're doing supersets and then right after that you just go sit somewhere. If your muscles are being challenged and then you don't cool them down properly afterwards when you're sweating like a pig - and instead you just stop exercising abruptly, your circulation can become weaker and will need to recover. This causes a lack of oxygen flow to your muscles, which causes spasms. That could explain the shaking.

There are so many things to be considered. The best way to solve the problem is to see if your diet provides you with adequate vitamins and minerals. Then make sure you warm up and cool down properly before and after workouts. If it continuously does it after that, then I would begin to worry. So far, it was just a one time thing, right?
    Lifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147159883

DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
    I've been working out for over a year now. It wasn't especially heavy. I did change from doing leg press (usual) to barbell lunges today. It was 3x8, upping the weight each set.
    Well yes a new exercise would target muscles or sections of it the other exercises didn't.The effect is close to what you feel if you we're a newbie especially if it targets the stabilizers.

Not sure what effect "water" has so I can't comment on that.It's not like I was ever dehydrated while working out or any time after.

D.
    "The government today announced that it is changing its emblem from an Eagle to a CONDOM because it more accurately reflects the government's political stance. A condom allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed. "

Originally Posted by ktj4l View Post
    I used to get that. Try eating a banana before you work out. I think most recommendations on this matter involve taking potassium or magnesium. I used to have a magnesium supplement that I added to my diet for a while and the shaking and leg cramps I had before stopped. I used to have this twitching in my arm too that went away with adequate magnesium intake. If your diet is in order, you shouldn't have a magnesium or potassium deficit though.

Maybe you just weren't hydrated enough. Or it could be because your muscles weren't cooled down properly. I.e. if you're doing supersets and then right after that you just go sit somewhere. If your muscles are being challenged and then you don't cool them down properly afterwards when you're sweating like a pig - and instead you just stop exercising abruptly, your circulation can become weaker and will need to recover. This causes a lack of oxygen flow to your muscles, which causes spasms. That could explain the shaking.

There are so many things to be considered. The best way to solve the problem is to see if your diet provides you with adequate vitamins and minerals. Then make sure you warm up and cool down properly before and after workouts. If it continuously does it after that, then I would begin to worry. So far, it was just a one time thing, right?
    thank you for such an in depth response. I never really cool down, I just stretch afterwards. Would a cooldown consist of a 5-10 minute run on the eliptical or what?

ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
    thank you for such an in depth response. I never really cool down, I just stretch afterwards. Would a cooldown consist of a 5-10 minute run on the eliptical or what?
    5 minutes on a bike should do it I'd say. Nothing intense. Just keep your blood flowing as your heart rate goes down basically.
    Lifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147159883

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    A leg day isn't a leg day until your legs are shaking so bad you can barely walk. Period.