MakoFury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up New Home Gym--suggestions?

Hello Everyone-

I've been browsing the boards for about 2 days now. I have read all the bowflex threads and it went from being top on my list to near bottom. The only advantage it has right now is that I would be able to keep it in our family room.

First off, let me lay out my current situation and goals. I am 6'0, 170lbs. I would estimate my body fat % to be in the high teens. I am aiming to get a little bit bigger but more important to bring my body fat % down to the low teens.

I enjoy working out at home. I've done it before with minimal equipment (pair of dumbells, jump rope, and a crappy $250 Weider mini gym). I want to upgrade my equipment, namely, the gym. What I liked about the Bowflex was that I would not need a spotter. I know that free weights are superior in most cases, I like free weight as well. I also ran across the ProSpot gyms, which have that sensor which locks the barbell in place eliminating the need for a spotter. I also liked the Powertec Multi Station gym, however, I think I would be losing out on the range of motion because it's a machine.

My budget is about $1500. I want to build the best gym I possibly can with the goal of gaining some mass but more importantly losing body fat. What would you all suggest would be the best combination to achieve my goal? Any thoughts, suggestions, or opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mako

Dont_quit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you are on a bodybuilding forum. i'm amazed you haven't heard of a power rack.

forget anything with electricity or bending stuff, or even cables for that matter (except for a lat pulldown, and even that isn't necessary)

a power rack is completly safe and literally locks the weight within an iron cage, there is no possibility to crush yourself.

www.newyorkbarbells.tv

good place to start

powertec, bodysolid, bodycraft, tuffstuff, yukon,

anything with a lifetime warranty.

i've got powertec and love it

~jAmeZ~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ~jAmeZ~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ~jAmeZ~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ~jAmeZ~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ~jAmeZ~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ~jAmeZ~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ~jAmeZ~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ~jAmeZ~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Dont_quit
    forget anything with electricity or bending stuff, or even cables for that matter (except for a lat pulldown, and even that isn't necessary)

Amen.

supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yep, power rack, good bench, enough plates and barbell, some kind of dumbells.

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up Powertec

Powertec and Body Solid are the 2 manufacturers I own. The Powertec Squat machine is outstanding. I've had to slide down the steps after the last 2 leg workouts. I also have their bench and it's damned nice too.
    I have a Body Solid Pro Delt machine and the military press part is great, haven't figured the arm raise part out yet(the hazards of buying off Ebay). I also have their lat machine and it's an excellent machine. I'm looking for a second one so I can do flyes and crossovers. Good luck!!

kkoch_1972 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Bro - Get Ironmaster

Originally Posted by MakoFury
    Hello Everyone-

I've been browsing the boards for about 2 days now. I have read all the bowflex threads and it went from being top on my list to near bottom. The only advantage it has right now is that I would be able to keep it in our family room.

First off, let me lay out my current situation and goals. I am 6'0, 170lbs. I would estimate my body fat % to be in the high teens. I am aiming to get a little bit bigger but more important to bring my body fat % down to the low teens.

I enjoy working out at home. I've done it before with minimal equipment (pair of dumbells, jump rope, and a crappy $250 Weider mini gym). I want to upgrade my equipment, namely, the gym. What I liked about the Bowflex was that I would not need a spotter. I know that free weights are superior in most cases, I like free weight as well. I also ran across the ProSpot gyms, which have that sensor which locks the barbell in place eliminating the need for a spotter. I also liked the Powertec Multi Station gym, however, I think I would be losing out on the range of motion because it's a machine.

My budget is about $1500. I want to build the best gym I possibly can with the goal of gaining some mass but more importantly losing body fat. What would you all suggest would be the best combination to achieve my goal? Any thoughts, suggestions, or opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mako

I bought, the bench, Lat, Dip, DB that goes to 120. The machine is the ****. I have been going to the gym for 15 years and this is awesome. I have tried the hoist and the block, very inconvenience. Ironmaster is sturdy as hell. I am 180lb with 18 1/2 guns and this is all I need to get huge. With dumbbell you won't need a spotter. I bench 315 pound 5 times and I have yet to workout out with 100 pound dumbbell. It require so much more muscle fiber to control. I will still need to go to the gym to do cardio but not till summer. I am going to put this comment on all question regarding iron master. I am a big supporter of quality product but if you ever sell me bad product I will slam it ever time I hear about. I got it all for 1000.00 dollars.