Smatthews123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Smatthews123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Smatthews123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Smatthews123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Smatthews123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Smatthews123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Does running lose muscle mass??

Right now i am working on getting muscle mass and so far im doing really good. I also need to start running to get in shape for sports. I have heard in the past that running does lose muscle mass and i dont want to lose muscle mass.I was not sure if that was true so thats why im asking.

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you do a lot of cardio, in my expierences, I have lost muscle(strength). However, at the time I probably was not eating enough and that is why I losy muscle. Just keep the cardio to 2-3x a week and make sure you are eating enough and you should be fine. If you do notice you are losing stregth, just eat more.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

Returning to Savagery JustBrowsin's Avatar
    JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    anytime you run or lift you are losing muscle mass. You are losing muscle mass all day long, it's just a matter of if you are rebuilding it through adequate rest and diet.
    Disregard Taco Bell, Acquire Filiberto's.

Aboard the Crazy Train!!! Tiggis's Avatar
    Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Well sort of.

Running meaning jogging is basically low intensity cardio for long periods of time so yes this is catabolic.

That is one of the reasons you see marathon runners have very low bf% and also very little muscle mass. This is by design because any weight you carry for 26 miles that is not needed is a waste.

You can use running as cardio in a much more efficient manner.

Try sprinting for say 30 seconds and then jogging for 1 min and repeat for a total of 15 to 20 min.

This is very basic HIIT cardio and it is effective at helping you lose fat.

lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tiggis
    Running meaning jogging is basically low intensity cardio for long periods of time so yes this is catabolic.

That is one of the reasons you see marathon runners have very low bf% and also very little muscle mass. This is by design because any weight you carry for 26 miles that is not needed is a waste.

You can use running as cardio in a much more efficient manner.

Try sprinting for say 30 seconds and then jogging for 1 min and repeat for a total of 15 to 20 min.

This is very basic HIIT cardio and it is effective at helping you lose fat.
    I've been under the impression that there's a food chain so to speak that the body prefers when choosing where to pull energy. From most desireable to least, I thought was: Glycogen, Glucose, Protein then last Fat. So I'm trying to understand how HIIT manipulates this to skip over protein, if this is in fact the correct order the body pulls its energy resources?

BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by lowkey122
    I've been under the impression that there's a food chain so to speak that the body prefers when choosing where to pull energy. From most desireable to least, I thought was: Glycogen, Glucose, Protein then last Fat. So I'm trying to understand how HIIT manipulates this to skip over protein, if this is in fact the correct order the body pulls its energy resources?

Incorrect. Protein is almost never a source of energy, except when the body is either in a starvation mode, or when someone is on a ketogenic diet.

stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

if you got to do cardio during bulking, do HIIT in the form if sprints, heavy bag punching etc. Running for long sessions seems like a recipe for sure catabolism. Make sure you are eating enough protein and calories. I do believe in cardio while bulking but keep it to a minimum. In fact, I think the HIIT cardio helps me get even mosr muscular with its anabolic response. Make sure to bulp down a good protein shake afterwards any cardio session and even some glutamine.
    LIve,Love ,Laugh!

lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BackInTheJox
    Incorrect. Protein is almost never a source of energy, except when the body is either in a starvation mode, or when someone is on a ketogenic diet.
    Now I'm really confused, if the body is in a catabolic state that means it's breaking down muscle (protien), right? Then what's the body need to break the muscle down for in the first place and what does it use it for once it's been broken down?

Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lowkey122
    HIIT is a form of cardio which doesn't focus on what specific calories are burnt during exercise. it's main aim is to ELEVATE your BMR (basal metabolic rate), so that you burn more fat overall throughout the day, and lose less muscle as is common with longer cardio sessions. checkout the bodies of sprinters compared to marathon runners. sprinting is a very anabolic form of cardio.

now saying all this, im doing cardio for 30mins (walking) after each weight training session to burn fat, and it works.

bro, they ALL pretty much work, stop worrying about this **** sitting in front of ur computer screen, just MAKE SURE U DO SOME DAMN CARDIO!

out
    Kill me. You must. For I will not stop.

Aboard the Crazy Train!!! Tiggis's Avatar
    Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiggis is on a distinguished road. (+10)

This is a very good article.

If you really want to learn, this is a good article.
    Its a bit long, but the subject matter is deeper than a dishpan.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kurilla1.htm