scottly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

weight gaining plateau

I've gone from 138 to 145 with bf staying around 15 since January but in the last month I haven't gained. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to shock my body in gaining again or should I just wait out the plateau? I've been on a serious bulk since April and I don't know if I can stuff anymore food into my sysetm.
    mild mannered designer

Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000)
    Need more info?? You could try several things, my guess with out seeing your routine would be to change it. If you are lifting higher reps change to lower. Concentrate on compound movements for size.
    As for diet, you could try and up your carbs, By doing so you risk raising your bf but carbs will add size.
    Are you doing cardio?? If so , stop it
    You may consider taking a break if it's been a while.
    Just a few ideas.
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Charger,
    I just came off of a two week break and started a new program that's much more intense then anything I've ever done - it's sort of a HITT style workout as I understand HITT. It is pretty much high weight, low reps. Uses supersetting and lots of drop sets. I think your right about the carbs - I need to add more brown rice and pasta. I do 2 cardio days a week, 25 min ea. I really hate to give those up - I love cardio days. I'll have to think about it and see if I can wrap my mind around it. Since I'm 42 I'm thinking cardio is more important then ever - am I wrong?
    mild mannered designer

Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by scottly
    - I love cardio days. I'll have to think about it and see if I can wrap my mind around it. Since I'm 42 I'm thinking cardio is more important then ever - am I wrong?
    First of all you are feeling alright aren't you??? You love cardio?????
    Seriously, you need to make a choice. Set prioritys. As I read your post you say you are at 15% bf but you also say you want to gain lean muscle. It is hard to gain lean muscle with out gaining some fat. Now, if losing fat, getting leaner is your goal then doing more cardio may work, BUT, gaining lean muscle too? Not likely.
    If adding more mass is your goal while trying to keep fat gains to a minimum, HIT would be a good choice, BUT, then again in this case I would stop cardio completly. Control bf with diet. Confused yet??? Putting it simply, cardio will hurt your muscle gains.
    What do you want to be, the guy on the cover of mens health or do you want more bulk/mass
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Scottly, Charger is again right on ther money.

Simply put...........make your choice.............get lean with the help of cardio and diet changes or add mass the the help of diet and LESSER cardio. "Let the weight training take care of the muscle and let the diet and cardio take care of fat loss".

Good luck, bro. It ain't easy!!

Thanks a lot guys for the input. You've sold me on giving up cardio for a while at least. I think I'll go 8 weeks no cardio and keep my bulking clean and see if I can put on some lbs. After the 8 weeks I'll re-evaluate. I'm gonna miss that runners high though.
    mild mannered designer

Thumbs up

Originally posted by scottly
    I think I'll go 8 weeks no cardio and keep my bulking clean and see if I can put on some lbs. After the 8 weeks I'll re-evaluate. I'm gonna miss that runners high though.

That sounds like a plan!! If you are still planning on HIT you won't miss the high. I have tried it, kinda. Have to be honest and say HIT done right is a killer and I went at a slower pace.
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) asertus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the guys on men's health are not that small, wtf

PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PowerFlex has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by asertus View Post
    the guys on men's health are not that small, wtf
    Mens Health cover......are they small? Not really, but in my opinion they are puny, almost waif-like! They don't have SERIOUS muscle, but then again I train with some pretty big guys.

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've found that my body likes to be at certain a weight and when I hit that weight, either bulking or dieting, for some reason it just decides to stop there for awhile and no matter what I do I tend to get stuck there. It may last 2-6 weeks which can be frustrating at times but eventually it gets moving again in the direction I want and then it tends to respond very fast. My conclusion is that my body runs more efficiently at certain weights and would prefer that I stay there. I have now recognized this facet over the years and now just go with the flow knowing I'll eventually reach my goal.

To put in it perspective: The OP has gained 7 pounds of muscle in 7 months which is a GREAT achievement. You really can't expect to keep that rate up. Gaining 12 pounds of muscle a year, every year is not normal unless you are a true genetic freak, take other "supplements", or are a relative newbie. Be proud of the gains you've made!

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)