spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spcterry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats vs. Leg press

If I substitute leg presses for squats am I losing anything? I find that squats put a lot of pressure on my knees and makes them hurt but leg presses don't as much. I just wanted to check and see if I was going to be taking away from my workout seriously by switching.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus (ca 390 AD)

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for!

Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If squatting hurts your knees, your not squatting right or there's something wrong with them. Learn how to squat and go see a doctor.

To answer your question: leg press is not a substitute for squat.
    Last edited by Flying_Fox; 06-28-2007 at 11:20 PM.

maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maresf16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Or wrap your knees. If you substitute leg press for squats, you will lose a lot. Squatting gives you an overall development and density that simply isn't attainable through machines. Good ol' freeweights.

ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by maresf16 View Post
    Or wrap your knees. If you substitute leg press for squats, you will lose a lot. Squatting gives you an overall development and density that simply isn't attainable through machines. Good ol' freeweights.

I was just about to post this same question (thank you search function) and I was afraid/expected that would be the answer.

What about squats using DBs instead of BB? I don't think I need to worry about not being able to grip the weight I can squat at this point so not having the bar across my trap should be okay.

Is there any real difference in the motion or the work that is getting done with one method over the other?

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Squat and leg press are quite different exercises for two reasons:
    1. leg press is open-kinetic chain (body fixed, leg able to move) while squat is a closed kinetic chain (leg is fixed). The muscle action is not quite the same.
    2. squat incorporates a greater use of the stabiliser muscles, so is a more complete exercise in terms of muscle stimulation.

However, dependent on your needs and situation, if squat is not an option, leg press is a good replacement, just not a 100% replacement.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do both; squatting is not only the best compound exercise, but it's one of the few exercises that builds mental strength as well. It's intimidating to go under heavy weight every time, but knowing that fear and breaking past it is the x-factor that makes you stronger and bigger. And you can't quite experience that with leg presses - but leg presses are certainly a good supplement exercise.

As for the knee problems, they shouldn't be hurting your knees. Practice your form with less weight and be sure to go all the way down. The more you go down, the less pressure is forced upon your knees.

JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by spcterry View Post
    If I substitute leg presses for squats am I losing anything? I find that squats put a lot of pressure on my knees and makes them hurt but leg presses don't as much. I just wanted to check and see if I was going to be taking away from my workout seriously by switching.
    you should have squatted in the first place.
    315 raw bench (355 gear) no pause, 336 w/ pause
    430, raw squat 525 geared
    578 raw deadlift 612 geared
    1460 best meet total at 175 pounds

Provincial deadlift record holder :) (Sub junior, 82.5 kg and Junior 82.5 kg)