Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Can you gain muscle and lose fat at the same rate?

Is it possible to stay the same weight and lose fat and gain muscle at the same rate?

I am 5' 7.5" and from pics I've seen, I think I would look great at 170 very lean lbs. Right now I'm at 16.8% body fat.

Today I weighted in at 170.5lbs, the highest ever, but of course I want to now lose the fat (maybe 10lbs.) but stay at this weight by continuing to add muscle while I lose the fat. How long should this take? Is this even possible?

phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Naturally? I don't think so. You can do both at the same time, but I'm guessing that most people will lose fat faster than they'll gain muscle (depending on their routine, intensity, etc.)
    Jon Cole's Gym: '79 - '85
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9275071&d=1603917754

KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Possible? Yes. Very difficult? Also yes. You will be better off losing the fat first then adding the muscle or vice versa instead of trying to do both at the same time. You have to eat big to get big and if you are not feeding your muscles properly growth will be very slow.

1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Generally I think you have to focus on one or the other. Otherwise I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment in one area or another or both.

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am not sure about at the same rate maybe for a short time but I'd doubt it would take place on a consistant basis. Your diet would have to be 100% clean, meal times included.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm cutting a little now and if you check out my recent pics in the over 35 male section, it may seem that I gained muscle when in reality my size measurements have stayed basically the same. It's my waist that has gone down a lot making everything look bigger. So to others it will look like I lost weight and gained muscle at the same time. Cool illusion
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is possible. I did it, but I didn't plan on doing that way. I was expecting to be at 175 lbs by now. Instead I gained a pound of muscle for every pound of fat that I lost. I am not complaining.

Check out my sig line.

A.FreeRadical
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Fenster Karton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have stayed the same weight for 6 weeks give or take 2 pounds. I have added noticeable muscle so I must have lost fat. Feel better too.

Most of my work is cardio but I am packing so much weight my legs are bulking. I was recently complemented on my calves by a young woman. Made this old man feel good. 60 next birthday.

I am new to this, only 6 weeks at gym. Did 3 months before that walking until I could do 1 mile non stop. Started at 50 yards and then rest. Come a long ways. Recovering from hospital. Lost a kidney to cancer. Only gym time other than this was high school early 60's. Basketball etc.

Started 316 and walked to 280. Joined gym and plateau weight but much stronger in 6 weeks. Can walk a mile at 10 incline and then an additional half mile no incline. Some curls etc with weights. Press is gaining fastest.

Reading "Body for Life". Seems to be a good book.

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    It is possible. I did it, but I didn't plan on doing that way. I was expecting to be at 175 lbs by now. Instead I gained a pound of muscle for every pound of fat that I lost. I am not complaining.

Check out my sig line.

A.FreeRadical
    For the first few weeks after I began working out (and cleaned up my crappy diet), I dropped fat faster than I put on muscle.
    Now I have started to "eat big" (but clean), my weight is constant while my fat is really starting to melt away (0.5 % per week approx).

I really dont understand where these people are coming from when they say you should cut first and then bulk up again.
    We all know that dieting alone does not work.
    I suggest people do as I did. Clean up their diets first and foremost.
    DO NOT RESTRICT CALORIES TO SEVERLY!
    This will prevent fat lose!
    Work out, gain some muscle as this will increase your metabolism. Gain even more muscle, increase you metabolism further and when results first become apparent, you will be further motivated.

Losing fat is simple.
    Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose fat. Simple!
    BUT, it is not easy!
    After years of abusing your body (you dont get fat after a few cheat meals do you ), it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get back on the "straight and narrow".
    We all know what it takes to get lean, but not all of us have the dedication it takes. If everyone did, there would not be any obese people would there.
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drspeedo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up good posts, keep 'em coming

Thanks for the info - I'm going to eat like crazy through this month and then in January go as clean as possible to try to get the waist down by a couple of inches or so by spring.