Thread: Out of the hole

Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Out of the hole

I have not hit squat PR in more than 6 months now. The last time I did was because of Smolov squat program, which added 45 lbs to my old max in 4 weeks. A friend of mine convinced me to try Westside, which I really wanted to, and I have been training this way for the last 4 months. After the first two months I felt strong and triend to hit something decent on the squat. Actually I had gotten weaker! After that he decided to take me under his wing and determine what I would do for each ME squat day. Well, box squats, band deadlifts once, rack pull,, complemented with GM's, GHR's and ab work. We do not have a RH and cannot do pull throughs.
    I have been making great gains in back strength. The GM's are rising very fast, giving me thickness and confidence. I hit an easy 20 lb PR in rack pulls and even went to 405 for a close failure. Heavy shrugs with over 330 lbs were part of the work as well.
    Well, from time to time I try to see how I'd fare with something like a beltless squat or sumo deadlift. I squat deep btw. Nothing has changed there, no new strength. My friend continues to claim that it is my back that needs work but I fail at the bottom of the lifts, despite all the GHR's, where I even got to doing over 10 per set.
    Now, my question is: for thoise who have experienced great problems out of the hole, did you find a "magical" formula that helped you, or introduced a new good exercise in your routine?
    FYI, I am 20, 5'10, 192lbs (gotta drop some weight, dammit), best squat 320, best sumo dl 365, this is my second year of serious weigh training and powerlifting.

2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No magical formula but I found when I was having trouble out of the hole I added:

Pause Squats (Ass on Calves)
    2x5 after doing regular squats. These should not be too heavy, ex.. If you hit 320lb for your squat I would say go about 185lb on these.

Pullthroughs
    2x10 . I do these with a heavy band wrapped around the squat rack. (hopefully you will be able to find away to do these).

I have often found that when you are having problems out of the hole it is a weakness in the hips. You could also try adding adductor and abductor movements along with weighted straight leg raises to strengthen the hips.

Also when comming out of the hole, make sure you are pushing your knees out and flex up as hard as possible.

Hope this helps.

Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hehe i saw dis at ff.com too =)

you know pin press for bench? set pins at bottom of bench rom. rest bar there. then press.

try the same for squats.

Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks guys! ATG squats and pull throughs + bottm stareting squats. Ading to the journal
    Anyone else?

And yeah, Porky, I am trying to get as many responses as I can, so that I have more than one weapon to battle the weakness.

Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ham/Glute raise machine if you have one or have access to one. They helped my squats greatly over the past year.

-Spaz

Thanks BigSpaz! Yeah, obviously I will have to start hitting the GHR's with some more weight and varying it a bit more.