thebigred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Would doing only pushups + protein drink afterwards help build arm size?

Hello, my gym is closing down for December and I have two choices: Either to buy a workout equip at home or I can do ****loads of pushups so I was wondering if they would help with arm size until the gym is back up? Thanks
    5'11''
    January 2005: 135lb
    December 2005: 140lb
    June 2006: 150lb
    July 2007: 170lb, 18% bf
    March 2008: 150lb, 14% bf
    Jan 2009: 160lb, 15% bf

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can you go to another gym? What sort of gym would close in December?

Pure_Dynamite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why is most every trainee so obsessed with having big arms?

Just once I'd like to see one with an obsession for having tree trunk legs, or a wide back.

Why the obsession with such a small muscle group?

phat custom title yo desire4dumbells's Avatar
    desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dont be so bloody naive pure dynamite

'curls get the girls'

ect., girls are good, so who cares

Originally Posted by desire4dumbells
    dont be so bloody naive pure dynamite

'curls get the girls'

ect., girls are good, so who cares

You are probably the type of kid I see at my gym working biceps seven days a week, but is lucky to even do thirty pounds on the squat.

Look, I like girls as much as the next guy, but I lift for me, not to impress some chick.

phat custom title yo desire4dumbells's Avatar
    desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your a fool

i dont train my bi's at all, all through heavy back work.

but thats WHY, u asked WHy, i said dont be naive.

and If they wanna do it for chicks, thats fine.

MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no offense dude, but if you're 6'1" 110lb, a ****load of pushups + protein shake isnt gonna do you any good at all. Maybe a handful of pushups, plus ****loads and ****loads of food will be a lot better for you

Pushups will help your triceps get biggers, as well as close-grip pushups. If you cant go to a new gym, you can do various grip pushups at home, yes. Those will develop your chest, shoulders and triceps. Find a tree branch or a sturdy doorway and do pull ups, wide palms forward and narrower palms back. This will help your back and your biceps. Find some kinda weight you can hold between your legs for pullups and put on your back for pushups. But if you want to get bigger, you need to start eating a lot man. good luck
    -MATT

[QUOTE=Wes06]
    it's cool that protein builds muscle... but I would say it's cooler that it gives you wicked nice farts. [/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by desire4dumbells
    your a fool
    The irony of it all.

forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    handstand pushups against the wall, you'll be doing your full body weight

Unregistered User PainfulNegative's Avatar
    PainfulNegative has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by forklift
    i believe that would train only the shoulders. this exercise operates under the same mechanics of shoulder pressing using a barbell(because hands always fixed in position).

if its impossible to get into a gym some effort is better than nothing. drinking a protein drink after doing a lot of push-ups will only help build mass to an extent because,

depends how many push-up reps you can do in 1 set until failure (if you can do 20+ push-ups without reaching failure there isnt enough weight to achieve efficient hypertrophy, which means you wont be adding much mass. but rather building endurance.

the protien drink i believe is a waste of cash, that is if u dont follow a proper nutrition plan. only once u are following a proper diet plan will the protien drink be of assistance.

Unregistered User PainfulNegative's Avatar
    PainfulNegative has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by forklift
    i believe that would train only the shoulders. this exercise operates under the same mechanics of shoulder pressing using a barbell(because hands always fixed in position).

if its impossible to get into a gym some effort is better than nothing. drinking a protein drink after doing a lot of push-ups will only help build mass to an extent because,

depends how many push-up reps you can do in 1 set until failure (if you can do 20+ push-ups without reaching failure there isnt enough weight to achieve efficient hypertrophy, which means you wont be adding much mass. but rather building endurance.

the protien drink i believe is a waste of cash, that is if u dont follow a proper nutrition plan. only once u are following a proper diet plan will the protien drink be of assistance.

thebigred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ah I see thanks for the tips, I'll probably do that pushup/pullup thing. What is handstand pushup against the wall? Is it when your face is near the ground and your feet on the wall and you try to do pushups? I'll try that add weights to pull ups and do inclined push ups. I can do about 17 pushups horizonally, so I guess that won't help me to gain mass. My main goal during the break is to eat eat eat though (i can't wait till my metabolism slows down~!!!) . Also would running a lot add more weight to me? My leg size looks like everyone else's, but my upper body and head are smaller than people my height for sure, but i've heard that the more I run I lose more weight. Thanks for the tips!
    5'11''
    January 2005: 135lb
    December 2005: 140lb
    June 2006: 150lb
    July 2007: 170lb, 18% bf
    March 2008: 150lb, 14% bf
    Jan 2009: 160lb, 15% bf

Madman_s Melody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madman_s Melody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madman_s Melody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pure_Dynamite
    Why is most every trainee so obsessed with having big arms?

Just once I'd like to see one with an obsession for having tree trunk legs, or a wide back.

Why the obsession with such a small muscle group?

I'm obsessed with legs back and delts

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Buy some dumbells or a curling bar.

Pushups won't do much for you unless you can safely add some weight to yourself in order to get the reps per set down.

If you have a bar or some dumbells and some weights you can work out at home to great effect. Heck, I've even stopped going to the gym for my shoulders and arms days because all I need is a bar and some dbells.

If the gym is only closed for december, don't expect to put on much size anyway - one month is no time at all in terms of noticeable arm growth.

Don't forget that with a bar and bells you can work your WHOLE BODY very effectively, you don't even need a bench for many exercises, the only ones I ever use a bench for are chest movements.

So save the money you'd spend on protein drinks and get some weights for your home. I can't imagine life without my small but very useful 'home gym'.

PS EAT

double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here is a link to a website that covers self-resistance training. If you can't make it to a gym, I would suggest you do something like this.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/OBB/OBB.html