Thread: Whats the diff?

Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Whats the diff?

I've never squated before and I don't care to. I do however use a legs press now. Whats the big difference in these exercises? I've noticed they work all of the same muscles. I can easly press 330lbs, is a leg press just the easy way to do it, or the safe way?

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    w/o going into all the fun issues (e.g,. neuro-physiological), let's just put it this way - you can build good legs from lifts like extensions and leg presses, BUT you'll never get as strong or as big as if you squatted. plus squatting also serves as a load-bearing exercise to teach force preoperceptions. something leg pressing can't do.

summary - leg pressing = 6/10. squatting = 10/10.
    <->

Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Myth Destroyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    w/o going into all the fun issues (e.g,. neuro-physiological), let's just put it this way - you can build good legs from lifts like extensions and leg presses, BUT you'll never get as strong or as big as if you squatted. plus squatting also serves as a load-bearing exercise to teach force preoperceptions. something leg pressing can't do.

Are you sure the word is spelled preoperception?

Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crisp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    so it's safe to say a 330lbs leg press would be a 200lb squat?

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Crisp
    so it's safe to say a 330lbs leg press would be a 200lb squat?
    absolutely, positively NOT!

if you've never squatted before, i'd doubt if, ont he first go, you'd be able to put up anymore than 140ish.

if you want to, say, look at Ronnie - he can leg press something like 3000pds for reps, but he can only squat 800 for 2. (and this isn't to show that there's a % you can use to figure 1 from the other...it's just to show squatting won't be anywhere near leg pressing...leg pressing is easy)

Originally Posted by Myth Destroyer
    Are you sure the word is spelled preoperception?

drugs make AJ loopy
    <->

damn, well then no squats at the gym till I can 200+ them at home.

damn, well then no squats at the gym till I can 200+ them at home.

why? you're there to lift and improve. nobody cares how much you're lifting. infact, the people who do care are usually the skinny noobs who've plateaued and can't figure out why.
    <->

Fit_4_Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Squats are great. Don't worry about the weight you are start with. It doesn't take a long time to make gains. Give it a try.

As for leg presses, AJ is correct there will be a big difference between the weights you can do.

I currently do both squats and presses on leg days, as well as extensions and SLDLs. To give you an idea on the weight differential. I have only been lifting since March '04. My personal best on squats is 315x5 and leg presses is 600x8. I started out squatting 120 and pressing 220.

I am curious if there is a particular reason you aren't interested in squats? (I wasn't either initially. They intimidated me since I knew nothing about proper form and from having misconceptions about injuries.)
    The great successful people...
    create their mental picture, and
    then go to work materializing that picture...

imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    accept it, a lot of people (even some pros) hate squat
    the most common exercises i see in the squat rack in my gym are bb shrugs and bb curl@, and guess what, there are ALWAYS people lining up for the leg press machine.

to give you the best example, I had to stop doing squat a while ago because they were making my legs too big, I have freaky leg genetics. I then switched to leg press, and I can tell you now that the gains from leg press were no match to squat. my progress in other lifts also slowed down (especially deadlift). when I finally switched back to squat I realized that I lost a **** load of strength in my legs.
    -Mortality-

Originally Posted by Fit_4_Life
    I am curious if there is a particular reason you aren't interested in squats? (I wasn't either initially. They intimidated me since I knew nothing about proper form and from having misconceptions about injuries.)
    ya i'm just worried about an injury, their tough to do aswell you sit back so far if you fall your ****ed. Anyways, i'l give them a try slowly.

Moreps has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Moreps has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ya i'm just worried about an injury, their tough to do aswell you sit back so far if you fall your ****ed. Anyways, i'l give them a try slowly.

Doing squats will help prevent injuries by taking your foundational core stregnth to another level.
    Leg presses are fine, but only as an adjunct to squats. A compound multi-joint movement such as squats and deadlifts will produce hypertrophy throughout your body.
    Discipline is only a by product of Desire.

dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dbmyers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Why do you think doing squats will sacrifice your dunking ability?

Originally Posted by dbmyers
    Why do you think doing squats will sacrifice your dunking ability?
    I posted this before I figure if something ain't broke don't fix it, I don't want huge lumps for legs.

RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyShy87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You sound like a girl who doesn't want to lift because she thinks she'll get all big and bulky. You wont grow lumpy legs unless you want to.