Page 7 of 122 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast
    Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you notice a lot of size loss while on the keto diet, because of glycogen store depletion in the muscle?

How does it prevent cortisol secretion. I thought cortisol secretion was limited by taking carbs, especially when working out - weight training or cardio- ?

And WHERE DO YOU GET ALL THIS FAT FROM? I mean, there are not many foods that are high in fat and have no carb at all. Must be pretty disguting to add oil and better with everything you eat..

dilly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    How does it prevent cortisol secretion. I thought cortisol secretion was limited by taking carbs, especially when working out - weight training or cardio- ?

This is where proper postworkout nutrition comes into play! Make sure you are getting in your whey and dextrose post workout!

Dilly
    " Never eat more then you can lift" - Miss piggy
    " If at first you don't succed, find out if the loser gets anything" - Bill Lyon

epiphany has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm getting ready to start on this diet. The only question I have is about the the fat intake on workout days. It says only to consume protein on workout days. So i only load up on fat on the rest days and carb up days, and cut out all the fat on lifting days?

Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

CKD....loading??

K guys, this may be a stupid question. I'm going from a normal loading diet (i.e. 300 p 600 c 100 f per day) to CKD Keto. My question is, am I able to use CDK Keto during my loading phase? So far my numbers for CDK look like this:

6'2 250lbs

250 P
    210 F
    50 C

From what I read CDK is more of a cutting diet, but I don't know. Please help.
    I admit it. I like to use machines. I am a weight mahcine-aholic.

Yashin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

I have been on the diet for 2 weeks, but am not sure about 1 thing :
    I have evenly distributed my meals by times (6 times). What I am not sure, is what types of exercises to do and when during the following :

1. 40-40-20 days. (40% protein, 40%carb, 20% Fat)
    2. Low Carbs Days (Keto Days) - Should I do high intensity training then ?
    3. Carb Filling (Cheat?) - Do I work out at all this day?

I do my cardio before 1st thing in the morning and immediately afterwards have a protein/carb shake. After 2pm, I limit my carb intake drastically, so each meal is not 40-40-20, but the end of day figures are 40-40-20.

Any advice ?
    I am gyming (including cardio) 6 times a week.
    30inch

Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been on a keto diet and HIIT for one week ( + my lifting sessions). I've lost 6lbs already. most of it is probably glycogen +water. But I am leaner no doubt about it.

Honestly I'm not sure it is a good idea to do HIIT. It is advised from what I've read to do a low to medium intensity cardio because it uses more fat, while HIIT uses mainly glycogen. So it forces you to take carbs before and after your HIIT session, which gets you out of ketosis for at least 2-3 hours.

If HIIT increases your metabolism by 10%, it is compensated by the fact that you waste 10% of your day not in ketosis.

So from now on I will just walk 1 hour a day. This way, I will consume calories while I'm walking, and that will keep my metabolism relatively high, and I won't take carbs and never get out of ketosis.

I will still do HIIT after my lifting sessions, but just 10 min. At this time it doesn't matter, since I need to take carbs anyways for my workout.

I will reserve HIIT on non lifting days for my bulk phases only.

t0n3z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

cardio

So is this sort of cardio bad -

http://www.bodyforlife.com/cardio.shtm

Looks a lot like HIIT.

I don't want to mislead people with what I just said. Actually I have little experience with keto diets. Maybe I'm wrong when I say that taking carbs for your cardio gets you out of ketosis for several hours. One of the things that make me say that is that I read that the insulin level takes several hours to decrease a lot, even after taking simple carbs.

Anyways, you can have a look at these links:

http://c-k-d.com/exercise.html

Written by Lyle McDonald himself.

Dorian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One thing that I have found on keto diets is if the nutrients are not maintained you will lose but still be fat.
    Let me explain this:
    My original keto diet many years ago I decided to cut calories below maintenance. I did lose weight but it was also a lot of muscle wasting as well.
    Picture this if you will, a 165 pound man @ 6'. NO ABS showing!
    I was skinny as a rail and still had fat! My gut was covered with it although it semed to be flattened.
    My arms were also still fatty at that weight.
    I decided to experiment, ( I was afriad to do so for fear of gaining it all back) so I raised my calories up slowly until I reached a tad above maintenence. Guess what I gained weight again!!!
    But this time the fat was going away. I was gaining muscle tissue back.
    So don't tryt to do as I have seen for so many years from so many people who write me and e-mail me. Keep the cals around or slightly above maintenence or you will slow the metabolism down and not lose fat but everyhting else.

Yashin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

This is what I am currently doing :
    Woke up this morning and had a low intensity 30 minute cycle.
    Meal Plan
    1. Immediately after the cycle had a Shake (High Protein, Low Carb - with EFA)
    NOTE : I grind up a lot of nuts and seeds together to provide me with a tasty, EFA Powder (no oils, butter, margarine) to add to my shake
    2. Next meal will be 2 Apples only
    3. Next Meal Tuna and Yoghurt (separately of course!)
    4. Next Meal Chicken Fillet
    5. Next meal High Protein and High Carb Shake (With EFA Powder)
    6. Final Meal Chicken Fillet with Steamed Veggies.

This is my meal plan for a low carb day.

My Calorie intake is correct, (Lean Body Mass in kg x 12),
    Is my eating program correct?
    If I do weights in the afternoon, what should my protein/carb/fat intake be before the session and after the session (How long before and after)?
    How long should the session last?

Should I concentrate on weights during my normal 40-40-20 days?

Regards
    Yashin

"A journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step"
    30inch

as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    there's no place for apples on this diet mate.

you also don't seem to have enough fats?

trinitymuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trinitymuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i thought i saw someone one here lost 30lbs in one month on this diet? is that correct? isn't that a lot of weight to lose? i thought that more then 2 lbs a week and you lose muscle? how much are people losing a month on this diet?

no milk? crap. my shakes will be bland.

on friday afternoon and saturday can you eat anything you want? since those are carb days or do you still need to keep the calories around th same?

i take it cardio is not a must? i think it would be hard to lift and do cardio with no carbs in you.

t0n3z has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio

Cardio is only to be done when you see your fat loss progress slowing down and you want it to speed up.

Originally posted by trinitymuscle
    i thought i saw someone one here lost 30lbs in one month on this diet? is that correct? isn't that a lot of weight to lose? i thought that more then 2 lbs a week and you lose muscle? how much are people losing a month on this diet?
    30lbs in one month is way too much. He has probably lost a lot of muscle in the process.

one lbs of fat is equivalent to 3500 cal.. that would mean he would have burnt 3500 cal every day.. That's obviously impossible.

He probably lost A LOT of glygogen and water, and a lot of muscle.

anabolic1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi guys so let me get this straight, if i was to follow a post workout carbs/protein meal i would have no reason to carb up right? well currently this is my diet please read and judge it i probably post workout will switch to the whey/orange juice combo. my current diet is this, can anybody judge if this is a good diet that i have proposed,

800 pre workout snack 1tbllspoon of olive oil

1000pst workout meal 1 tbls olive oil 2 cups of kashi go lean cereal 58 gms of carbs all together,

now i dont get to eat cause of skool until 530 which sucks but i take eca to keep me burning fat instead of glycogen/protein.

530 2 cups kashi go lean cereal,1tblsponn olive oil
    58 gms of carb all together

630 2 whole eggs 1tblspoon olive oil

730 2 whole eggs 1 tblspoon olive oil

830 6 oz chicken breast

930 six oz chicken breast

and i also drink plenty of water throughout the day
    i take in 3 hp 3 ephedrine capsules 40 mg each 325 mg aspirin 3 times a day to keep me in constant fat buring mode. total 120 mg ephedrine 975 mg of aspirin, the caffeine just messes my system up i dont respond good to it.

any modifications of this will greatly be appreciated being i dont know much about keto but i believe im in keto i have this unbelievable bad breath that i know its only when i enter the low carb phase so it must be ketosis,

anabolic1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    btw im 16 yrs old ive been on this diet for 4 weeks except last week when i cheated on it from wednesday to sunday but previousy before that i was on 2 weeks straight and now this whole week, i have gotten from 22 percent bf and a 37 inch waist to a 31 inch waist and 32 inch abdomen and a 12 percent body fat my goal is 8 or 9 i feel in 2 weeks i will have achieved my 8 pack i feel no signs of plateuing i feel real good, but as always i want to know if there should be any modifications in my above diet and i want to know if there should be any changes in my post workout meals im confused as since i do double sessions every day as to weather i should take in carbs 2. and should i lower my carbs lower? right now im gonna stay pat and if i feel im plateuing i will lower the carbs but as of right now i think ill stay where i am. my workout is as follows, my main concern is since im not in extremely low carb mode should i bother with the CARB UP?

monday wed friday
    workout 800 hst fullbody workouts
    445 45 minutes treadmilll low to medium intensity

tuesday thurs say

2 cardio sessions on 800 and 445 45 minutes medium to low intensity now should i take post workout carbs on both workouts? and should i swtich from the kashi to the orange juice at least one of these post workout meals? im contemplating doing that and switching to fiber one for more fiber less carbs so i can replace the kashi with the orange juice and whey to compensate the fiber loss with the carb loss since fiber1 contains more fiber less carbs.

wend

DON VINCENZO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I work a body part one day a week, will this diet work for me?

M - Chest
    T - Bicep and Tricep
    W - Back
    T - Shoulders
    F - Legs

30 min. cardio after each workout

5'10", 230 lbs., 21% bodyfat

What is a good bodyfat percentage for a 29 year old?

Thanks for any help.

marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Curious, Ive always been interested in keto type diets, and am thinking about starting next sunday but I want to get all my facts down.

I need to get about 70%Fat/30%protein for keto to work which is ok

Right now I weight 205 with about 19% BF I want to cut down a bit to get my body a bit more in proportion (I was 270 about a year ago but for about 4 months I was more or less starving myself which led to massive loss but alot of muscle)

My goal is to get about 10% BF by Summer but heres the biggest issue:

I have a broken wrist and I cant lift weights, so Im curious, I do cardio 6 days a week would that equate to the same general thing as weight lifting which would make this work for me?

And

I never want to stay on a Keto diet forever, however, I eat very healthy already and only eat 80 G of carbs a day so Im almost on the entering ketosis border line at the moment.

But my concern is, should I start a ketosis diet, would I be able to add calories back when I intend to bulk? I know its a slow process and I have alot of patience, but I hear alot about people gaining all their weight back after stopping a low carb diet however, If I add like 50 carbs a week back once I get to my target weight and eat healthy to maintain it would it work just as well?

Im good at planning meals and Like cooking so im not really worried about that, I just dont want to make the mistake most people make and enter a diet that may backfire if you dont know everything. (I read this entire thread just asked questions that no one really seemed to touch on)

Gonna go start planning meals and hoping for some positive answers

C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100)
    BlindFaith, (or anyone else who cares to comment)

I noticed that in the sample CKD workout you posted at the beggining of the thread you chose not to have the whole body trained by the end of tuesday. If getting into ketosis faster requires us to dump our glycogen stores than why would you choose to workout a large muscle group as legs so late in the week?

Peace
    Please "neg" me...I love it!

miffy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

some thoughts and questions on keto

Some interesting questions on just how far one can vary his own keto diet... would some one with knowledge and experiemce enlighten me please.

1.If i dont want to carb up only on the weekends, whats the absolute minimum number of days i must go before a carb up? 3 days then 1 day carb up? 4?

2.Im terrified of saturated fats as heart disease runs in my family, and i also tend to be slightly deranged.=} is it advisable for all my fat sources to be purely from olive oil, flax oil etc ? im thinking of eating straight chicken breasts for protein and drinking oil.

3. Ive noticed some arbitrary numbers given for 'maximum' grams of carbs a day, but i figured it varies from person to person owing to size etc, im 165 pounds now, what should my absolute max grams from carbs a day be?

4. Is it even advisable to throw in some low carb days in the mix, rather than straight no carb days? If so how 'high' is this 'low'??

Thanks i really appreciate expert views here.

oh and one more thing
    5. JUST to clear this carb confusion up.. so max 50 g a day INCLUDING post workout shake? is the carbs in N large ok for this purpose?

Thanks.
    Last edited by miffy; 04-27-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Skunk Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is this diet ok?

Im am 19 years old 5'11'' 226lbs. About 20% bf. i am looking to lose about 30-35lbs and have decided to try a keto diet (CKD) after hearing about the great results people are getting. This is what my diet looks like.

Meal 1: 3 whole eggs, cheddar cheese, 3 strips bacon

Meal 2: 2 pepperoni sticks, string cheese

Meal 3: Grilled Chicken salad Lots of dressing

Meal 4: Same as meal 2

Meal 5: Some type of fatty meat or fish, small salad

Meal 6: (Post Work Out) Whey Protein 2 tbl. spoons natural peanut butter

Advice Welcomed!

Thanks
    Last edited by Skunk Man; 05-07-2004 at 05:52 PM.

Power_inc_1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what would be the effect if you went High Protein, low to 0 carbs, low fat, combined with heavy resistance training, and 30 mins., moderate intensity cardio 5 days a week directly after weight training?

HawkMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I recopyied my reply from the original Keto thread. I actually went through all 43 pages!!!!! Here it is;

Is the Sugar free fat free jello cool to add as part of the keto diet?I love the stuff.

I also noticed that a lot of you aren't adding cottage cheese to your diet. Any reason for this??? I love cottage cheese.

It's gonna be breath taking to only eat meat and fats!!! Born a carnivore and will die a carnivore!

Brocolli... love the stuff. Great source of fiber and carbs.

I usually go to Carl's Jr. for lunch and have the Low Carb Burger (Fat ass burger w/cheese wrapped in lettuce) served with a side salad and a nice fat packet of Blue Cheese dressing. Good stuff for about 6 bucks.

Any reason I should cut that out of my lunch menu???

Any what about Italian dressing on salads??? Haven't checked the carb content but I doubt that it's much if any.

Just starting the keto out this week and I've already tripped. I ate some waffels on Monday with sugar free syrup. But it was my lack of knowledge that I did this. No more waffels for me! 'Cept on the carb up days!
    Last edited by HawkMuscle; 06-30-2004 at 03:30 PM.

cbcortez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    stupid question...

if i lift heavy...like MAX-OT style. i pretty much use up my glycogen. Now if i dont eat carbs at all during that day, what would fuel my training the next day?

Is it the fact that your body has a steady supply of broken down fats (i dont know the scientific term)...that you dont need to mobilize and oxidize the fats to gain the energy?

thanks.

(this is for the purist ketogenics) -- there are those that have tweaked it and consume carbs in their shakes.

the term is ketogenesis. And your body utilizes the ketones from the fat breakdown as energy. I'm going on 4 week on the keto diet and have never felt better!!! Heres the simplified explanation of the diet. Very little carbs all week 20-30grams a day in the form of fiberous veggies (broccalli, lettuce). On the weekend you carb up. The carb up is supposed to help replenish glycogen stores to help facilitate muscle gains. There is much, much, much more to it. Read some of the stickys to inform yourself.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by HawkMuscle; 07-20-2004 at 07:07 AM.

cbcortez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ahhhh its the ketones themselves fueling the body....got it thanks man.

Thumbs up

Don't forget to read some of the keto stickys. They answer a lot of questions about the diet.

rinkjustice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow The Ketogenic Plan - my book online

Hi all,
    Some great stuff in this thread! I just wanted to inform anyone interested of my "book project", tentatively entitled The Ketogenic Plan is uploaded and is available for your perusal. It can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/rinkjustice1/ketoplan.htm

I've been studying and submitting my body to the rigors of this "diet" for a couple of years now, and I hope my experiences, successes and failures may be of help to someone.

Thanks for listening!

miffy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question CARB daily allowance

Hello... i tried in vain to search for an answer everywhere.. but..

so ok here goes.. CKD = daily carb max of 30g

question --> do all these 30 g have to be eaten at once (not counting Post WO shake) or if i eat 5g per meal where will that leave me? is that acceptable?

Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by miffy
    Hello... i tried in vain to search for an answer everywhere.. but..

so ok here goes.. CKD = daily carb max of 30g

question --> do all these 30 g have to be eaten at once (not counting Post WO shake) or if i eat 5g per meal where will that leave me? is that acceptable?
    No the 30 grams do not need to be eaten all at once. Infact, spreading your carb intake throughout the day and taking in a lot of water will lessen the side affects that keto can cause.