Page 120 of 122 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 3640
    Medash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    awesome article! starting the experiment tomorrow good luck to me!

nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000) nizmo35 is just really nice. (+1000)
    "So here’s how it breaks down during the week: Sunday through Friday afternoon , you will follow the low carb diet outlined above. Eat fat and protein all day everyday except on workout days because after workouts, you will need to consume strictly just protein—no fat or carbs. " so does this mean that we dont sonsume fat on workout days or just not after the workout?

abs25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nizmo35 View Post
    "So here’s how it breaks down during the week: Sunday through Friday afternoon , you will follow the low carb diet outlined above. Eat fat and protein all day everyday except on workout days because after workouts, you will need to consume strictly just protein—no fat or carbs. " so does this mean that we dont sonsume fat on workout days or just not after the workout?
    Just not after the workout.
    The key to success is to never give up.

jgutta23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hopefully this works.

3kCal
    64/33/3

6'1
    188 lbs
    20% BF

SS 5x5 3 times a week.

SweetRas13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm honestly making my first real attempt starting tomorrow:

2kCal
    55/40/5

6'1"
    212 lbs
    23-ish% BF

Modified SS 3 times a week

Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Want to start but so nervous considering I've been having heart problems lately. Just can't get myself to believe that eating all this fat isn't going to be detrimental in the long term. Sorry guys this isn't a troll. It's just hard to be taught one thing for so long and then have a different way of thinking.
    When it comes to rep power, just remember this. Better red than dead. Your reps mean squat in real life. Just thank the lord that you have your health.

nkirad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by abs25 View Post
    Just not after the workout.
    So that means on the same day later on you are allowed to eat fat+protein for dinner? (Considering late evening workouts)

teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teebone21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All i can say is keto works. I am currently finishing up carbnite and this truly shows me that everything doesn't work for everybody.
    The first step to a life of freedom - Texasblogman.com

jasondcarton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Really excited to start this. I am currently 5'11 185lbs with good muscle mass and around 17% BF. Can someone tell me if these statements are correct for me (knowledge from skimming through all these pages).

-Consume at least 1g protein per lb a day. (185g protein a day, at least)
    -Eat 500 calls below maintenance (fill those calories up with 185g protein, rest FATS)
    -During Sunday-Friday Evening, only consume fats and protein, however after your workouts immediately have a protein drink mixed with ~30g carbs. For the rest of that day no more fats, just protein.
    -From Friday Evening-Saturday Midnight, eat like a mad man and consume a ton of carbs. QUESTION: Do I want to still stay in my calorie range of under 500 cal maintenance, or does this time frame not matter.
    -Check Keto pee strips to make sure you are in ketosis.
    -Also, is milk okay to consume

Any feedback would be appreciated it, anyone else have a similar structure as myself and see great results? I play to lift very heavy during this time frame to not loose any strength.. try and keep my PR on some lifts as close as I can. Thanks all, as I mentioned, i'm really excited to start this in 2 weeks. (Going to Cabo for a week, then wine tasting then vegas... so this will have to start immediately after vegas).

abwong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pimples?

I am a young teen (17years old) and I am afraid of getting a pimple breakdown due to all the fats in this diet! Is there any studies showing keto causing pimples breakdown or not changing my situation?

Foalooke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Foalooke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Foalooke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Foalooke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Foalooke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Foalooke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Foalooke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Foalooke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Foalooke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fiber

Hello all, I've been ghosting this site for years now and I've finally decided to register and post what little help I can offer.

With low carb of any sort, I know getting enough fiber to work all of that cheese and meat out of your system can be difficult. Mission makes low carb whole wheat tortillas that are 6 net carbs with 26 grams of fiber per wrap. There's your daily requirement right there. What's amazing about these tortillas is that they actually crisp up a but. I make them into crackers and eat them with a but of peanut butter or cheese.

Hope this helps.

FIVEOH4LIFE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Confused?

Hey everyone,

First, thanks for your help with my noobish question that's been asked a million times. I've read the stickies and reread everything as much as I can, I'm still confused on this Keto thing. I'm not new to weight lifting but new to it being at the level you all are at. I would estimate I have about a 25% bodyfat but I can't be sure on this so it is an estimate. I've been doing a low/no carb diet for a few months but today is the first day I've done Keto. I'm just so confused on if my diet (which is posted below) looks accurate for Keto, but also if the calories are also in the right place. I'm also wondering if you can shed some light on the post workout shake as in if I should have a protein shake or not. Thanks so much for your help with my noobish inquiry, I hope that I can learn tons and help others in due time.

-Andrew

5 eggs
    2 tablespoons Mayo
    1 ounce amish baby swiss cheese
    10 ounces shrimp
    4 tablespoons sour cream
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    4 tablespoons cashew butter
    2 servings garden of life protein powder

total pie chart is 59/32/8, 121g fat, 37g carb, 146g protein

Saucey1luv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What's the deal with Coffee. Some say you can't have coffee and other say it's fine. What is it? I do at least tried to find a healthy coffee. It's apparently Keto Coffee. Its called that because of the MCT oil in it, I believe. Is this ok coffee? montavida.com/?RIN=L643586

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Saucey1luv View Post
    What's the deal with Coffee. Some say you can't have coffee and other say it's fine. What is it? I do at least tried to find a healthy coffee. It's apparently Keto Coffee. Its called that because of the MCT oil in it, I believe. Is this ok coffee? montavida.com/?RIN=L643586
    The appropriateness of coffee is found entirely in what you add to it. Black coffee is fine. Add heavy cream, again fine. Add sugar... not so ok.

If you want MCT's in your coffee, I'd recommend coconut oil. It has the added benefit of tasting delicious.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Huntin a bit of meat Land_Down_Under's Avatar
    Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    hey everyone I'm trying to start leto and have read a bit about it and checked out a lot of recipes but as most people I'm unsure if I'm going in the right direction.

my meals so far are

3 whole eggs plus 3 egg whites
    1 cup of steamed broccoli
    100g of chicken breast
    1/2 of shredded cheese
    2 tbls of greek yoghurt

a handful of salted peanuts for a snack

2 minced beef burgers cooked in olive oil covered in a slice of bega cheese
    a handful of sliced pepperoni
    4 slices of bacon
    1 cup of cauliflower with shredded cheese
    2 tbls of greek yoghurt

a protein shake with 1 scoop of wpi with water

200g porterhouse steak or stir fry strips
    2 slices of bacon
    2 hash browns
    slice of bega cheese

am i doing it right? any suggestions would be a help
    'Id rather die on my feet, than live on my knees' - Emiliano Zapata

-: COUNTRYMIKE Appreciation Crew :-

'I Will Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Will Fear No Evil Because I'm The Baddest Motherfuker In The God Damn Valley'

Fukn Brozart

Huntin a bit of meat Land_Down_Under's Avatar
    Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Land_Down_Under has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    anyone?
    'Id rather die on my feet, than live on my knees' - Emiliano Zapata

-: COUNTRYMIKE Appreciation Crew :-

'I Will Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Will Fear No Evil Because I'm The Baddest Motherfuker In The God Damn Valley'

Fukn Brozart

Brolifter14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Blindfaith View Post
    HERE IS THE REST OF THE ARTICLE

CKD Workout

Now, the question is, how do we workout to optimize muscle preservation and keep our metabolism up while dieting? Before we get into that, one must realize that during any dieting scheme there is one thing that must be done, and one thing that must not be done.

First, you must keep training volume lower than your usual routine. Overtraining is probably the number one killer in motivation, it deprives sleep, and hinders fat loss.

Second, you must not fall into the myth of lighter weights with higher reps. You got your muscle by benching 240, and you have to bench 240 to keep that same muscle! Or at least around that area! Okay, now that we have that established, here’s what we do:

On Monday and Tuesday we will work our weaker body parts, rest or cardio on Wednesday and Thursday mornings, Thursday do our strongest body parts, and Friday a combination of the Monday/Tuesday workouts in a loop format. The workout I have found to work optimally for myself and my clients is this:

(Note: You may feel free to tweak, shake, and turn this example upside down.

Everybody is different, so find what works for you.)

MONDAY: Chest, Back, Abs

High intensity workouts with 60 sec rest between sets, 90 sec rest between

each exercise

(this excludes all warm up sets)

Bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps

T-bar Row 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Incline bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Latpulldown to front 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Dips or Decline bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Shrugs 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Flys (any type) 2 sets, 10-12 reps

Reverse flys 2 sets, 10-12 reps

Stiff-leg deadlift 3 sets, 10-12 reps

Rope ab crunch 3 sets, 10-15 reps

Reverse crunch 3 sets, 10-20 reps

TUESDAY: Shoulders, Arms

Same intensity mentioned before

Behind the neck shoulder press 3 sets, 8-10 reps

Military press 3 sets, 8-10 reps

Preacher curls 3 sets, 8-10 reps

French press or "skull-crushers" 3 sets, 8-10 reps

Shoulder raises (any type) 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Hammers 3 sets, 8-10 reps

V-bar tricep press 3 sets, 8-10 reps

Forearm curls 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Reverse forearm curls 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Wednesday: Rest or Cardio

Thursday morning: Rest or Cardio

Later on Thursday: Legs

Squat or Leg press 4 sets, 6-10 reps

Lying leg curl 4 sets, 6-10 reps

Standing calf raise 4 sets 6-10 reps

Leg extensions 4 sets, 10-12 reps

Seated leg curl 4 sets, 10-12 reps

Seated calf raise 4 sets, 10-12 reps

Friday night: Final Workout

Bench 2 sets, 6-10 reps

T-bar Row 2 sets, 6-10 reps

Incline bench 2 sets, 6-10 reps

Latpulldown to front 2 sets, 6-10 reps

Behind the neck shoulder press 1 set, 8-10 reps

Military press 1 set, 8-10 reps

Either curl exercise 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Either tricep exercise 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Stiffleg deadift 1 set, 8-10 reps

Normal floor ab crunch 2 sets, 10-20 reps

Reverse crunches 2 sets, 10-20 reps

Start the carb up for 24-30 hours!

Aerobics

Before we go on, I want to address the cardio/aerobics issue. Some people find that for the first month on a CKD, cardio/aerobics is not needed. However when fat loss does start to slow down a bit, that is when most start adding 30 min. sessions on their off days. Be careful though, you do not want to hinder your Thursday leg workout. So experiment and try to only add aerobic sessions if you feel you have to.

Supplements

So we have the basic diet outline stated, the workout, now what about supplements? Things that can extremely optimize this diet regime. Well, I have to admit no allegiance to any supplement company on this one: Water. Water is important on any diet, especially low carb since there is a diuretic effect, and more importantly during the carbing period. Glycogen is stored with water! You need as much water as possible to hydrate the depleted muscle. Trust me, you will feel a huge "pump" on Sunday morning from all the stored carbs and water INSIDE your muscle.

Speaking of muscle, the god of all sports supplement right now: Creatine. It can still be used on a low carb diet. Usually 10 grams a day during the low carb days, and around 20-30 grams during the carbing period should work for most everybody. I highly recommend it for everybody who doesn’t get an upset stomach using it.

Finally, one that everyone that’s dieted before knows about: The ECA stack. Most have not used pure ECA, but mainly herbal extracts in thermogenic products sold by sports supplement companies. For a pre-work out boost and increased fat burning through thermogenics (heat), this is my favorite supplement. It does its job, you feel it happening, and it can help you psychologically when you don’t feel like working out that day.

Conclusion

With all this said, I will throw my personal opinion, thanks and motivation on or for the cyclical ketogenic diet. First of all, to me, it is the greatest diet every developed. It makes sense, works and isn’t as hard to follow as one might think. Just stay motivated and concentrate on your goal.

When you have a craving during the week for that cupcake or pasta, just go eat a delicious serving of some pepperoni and melted mozzarella cheese. Or how about a hamburger patty covered in cheddar cheese and some strips of bacon? Foods that are delicious and that can satiate hunger.

I followed this exact plan this past summer for eight weeks and loss 18 pounds of fat without any loss in muscle. It was the leanest and most vascular I had ever seen myself.

And I must give thanks where thanks are due since I did not come up with this diet. Dan Duchaine, who recently passed away, brought my attention to a CKD with his book BodyOpus and Lyle McDonald has done deep research and wrote his book The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter and Practitioner.

This diet can be for you. Oh you’re only a mass builder? Well, lower bodyfat percentages even make you look bigger! Give it some thought and decide. Then achieve your goal. It’s worth it: A diet with true fat loss.

COMPLIMENTS OF KAKDIESEL FROM ELITE

HOPE THIS HELPS OUT ALL YOU BRO'S WITH ENDLESS AMOUNTS OF QUESTOINS! PEACE!
    Do you still endorse this workout and diet? I'm just getting started and this is the most thorough explanation I've seen so far. I have a ton more questions I'd like to ask you.

censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50) censored will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just wanted to say that I have done a clinical keto diet before in preparation for surgery. I followed this to a T for a mini cut as my bf was soaring upwards during my post op bulk. It worked great but after a mo th I got so sick of eating so much fat. I dropped 5 percent bf. And after I carbed up I was actually bigger. 1 week post keto my arms jumped to 20in. I recommend this if you need to lose weight fast but it's definitely not sustainable for longer than a month ot two. Just my experience.
    You can walk outisde and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
    -Henry Rollins

devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by abwong View Post
    I am a young teen (17years old) and I am afraid of getting a pimple breakdown due to all the fats in this diet! Is there any studies showing keto causing pimples breakdown or not changing my situation?
    You are an old teen, the third oldest in fact. I am not sure that fat causes acne. Do you have them without the excessive consumption of fats?
    USMC/USN Crew
    MWC

melo321iverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Workout Shake?

What type of juice should you put in your post-workout shake?

Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoyoyo07 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Okay so I've been reading bits and pieces of this thread over the last few days and I think I'm ready to take the plunge and just wanted to get some insight from all the experience here. I currently weight right around 185 and im guessing somewhere around 18%. From some different keto calculators I'm planning on starting a cut on about 2007 cals a day 25g carbs 155g protein and 143g fats. I'm planning on starting this Sunday because I have a little party thing to go to Saturday evening and it just works best for me. I am planning on running these macros for at least 2 weeks and at that time depending on how I'm feeling consider my first carb up with my work schedule the Friday evening to sat evening will work perfect. I'm also lifting 4 days a week with off days on Tuesday Thursday and saturday. My main question is does this all look about right and if not where would the best places to tweak it be?

Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Supplements

HERE IS THE REST OF THE ARTICLE

CKD Workout

Now, the question is, how do we workout to optimize muscle preservation and keep our metabolism up while dieting? Before we get into that, one must realize that during any dieting scheme there is one thing that must be done, and one thing that must not be done.

First, you must keep training volume lower than your usual routine. Overtraining is probably the number one killer in motivation, it deprives sleep, and hinders fat loss.

Second, you must not fall into the myth of lighter weights with higher reps. You got your muscle by benching 240, and you have to bench 240 to keep that same muscle! Or at least around that area! Okay, now that we have that established, here’s what we do:

On Monday and Tuesday we will work our weaker body parts, rest or cardio on Wednesday and Thursday mornings, Thursday do our strongest body parts, and Friday a combination of the Monday/Tuesday workouts in a loop format. The workout I have found to work optimally for myself and my clients is this:

(Note: You may feel free to tweak, shake, and turn this example upside down.

Everybody is different, so find what works for you.)

MONDAY: Chest, Back, Abs

High intensity workouts with 60 sec rest between sets, 90 sec rest between

each exercise

(this excludes all warm up sets)

Bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps

T-bar Row 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Incline bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Latpulldown to front 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Dips or Decline bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Shrugs 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Flys (any type) 2 sets, 10-12 reps

Reverse flys 2 sets, 10-12 reps

Stiff-leg deadlift 3 sets, 10-12 reps

Rope ab crunch 3 sets, 10-15 reps

Reverse crunch 3 sets, 10-20 reps

TUESDAY: Shoulders, Arms

Behind the neck shoulder press 3 sets, 8-10 reps

Military press 3 sets, 8-10 reps

Preacher curls 3 sets, 8-10 reps

French press or "skull-crushers" 3 sets, 8-10 reps

Shoulder raises (any type) 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Hammers 3 sets, 8-10 reps

V-bar tricep press 3 sets, 8-10 reps

Forearm curls 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Reverse forearm curls 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Wednesday: Rest or Cardio

Thursday morning: Rest or Cardio

Later on Thursday: Legs

Squat or Leg press 4 sets, 6-10 reps

Lying leg curl 4 sets, 6-10 reps

Standing calf raise 4 sets 6-10 reps

Leg extensions 4 sets, 10-12 reps

Seated leg curl 4 sets, 10-12 reps

Seated calf raise 4 sets, 10-12 reps

Friday night: Final Workout

Bench 2 sets, 6-10 reps

T-bar Row 2 sets, 6-10 reps

Incline bench 2 sets, 6-10 reps

Latpulldown to front 2 sets, 6-10 reps

Behind the neck shoulder press 1 set, 8-10 reps

Military press 1 set, 8-10 reps

Either curl exercise 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Either tricep exercise 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Stiffleg deadift 1 set, 8-10 reps

Normal floor ab crunch 2 sets, 10-20 reps

Reverse crunches 2 sets, 10-20 reps

Start the carb up for 24-30 hours!

Aerobics

Before we go on, I want to address the cardio/aerobics issue. Some people find that for the first month on a CKD, cardio/aerobics is not needed. However when fat loss does start to slow down a bit, that is when most start adding 30 min. sessions on their off days. Be careful though, you do not want to hinder your Thursday leg workout. So experiment and try to only add aerobic sessions if you feel you have to.

Supplements

So we have the basic diet outline stated, the workout, now what about supplements? Things that can extremely optimize this diet regime. Well, I have to admit no allegiance to any supplement company on this one: Water. Water is important on any diet, especially low carb since there is a diuretic effect, and more importantly during the carbing period. Glycogen is stored with water! You need as much water as possible to hydrate the depleted muscle. Trust me, you will feel a huge "pump" on Sunday morning from all the stored carbs and water INSIDE your muscle.

Speaking of muscle, the god of all sports supplement right now: Creatine. It can still be used on a low carb diet. Usually 10 grams a day during the low carb days, and around 20-30 grams during the carbing period should work for most everybody. I highly recommend it for everybody who doesn’t get an upset stomach using it.

Finally, one that everyone that’s dieted before knows about: The ECA stack. Most have not used pure ECA, but mainly herbal extracts in thermogenic products sold by sports supplement companies. For a pre-work out boost and increased fat burning through thermogenics (heat), this is my favorite supplement. It does its job, you feel it happening, and it can help you psychologically when you don’t feel like working out that day.

Conclusion

With all this said, I will throw my personal opinion, thanks and motivation on or for the cyclical ketogenic diet. First of all, to me, it is the greatest diet every developed. It makes sense, works and isn’t as hard to follow as one might think. Just stay motivated and concentrate on your goal.

When you have a craving during the week for that cupcake or pasta, just go eat a delicious serving of some pepperoni and melted mozzarella cheese. Or how about a hamburger patty covered in cheddar cheese and some strips of bacon? Foods that are delicious and that can satiate hunger.

I followed this exact plan this past summer for eight weeks and loss 18 pounds of fat without any loss in muscle. It was the leanest and most vascular I had ever seen myself.

And I must give thanks where thanks are due since I did not come up with this diet. Dan Duchaine, who recently passed away, brought my attention to a CKD with his book BodyOpus and Lyle McDonald has done deep research and wrote his book The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter and Practitioner.

This diet can be for you. Oh you’re only a mass builder? Well, lower bodyfat percentages even make you look bigger! Give it some thought and decide. Then achieve your goal. It’s worth it: A diet with true fat loss.

COMPLIMENTS OF KAKDIESEL FROM ELITE

HOPE THIS HELPS OUT ALL YOU BRO'S WITH ENDLESS AMOUNTS OF QUESTOINS! PEACE!
    I think GLUTAMINE is useful too! http://all-about-glutamine.blogspot.ro/

Prenes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Little keto vs lot

Ok I have spent 2 weeks reading this thread among other sites that explain the effects of ketosis. I have been on the CKD version for 3 weeks and I have a few questions. Every time I test I am in the "trace" to "low" reading of ketones. I have read that it is negligible to adjust from 50g to say 20g of carbs a day. But should I strive for moderate ketones?

Throughout HS and college I was between 6 and 12% fat but I was highly active as a weight lifter and football player. I could stand to lose 75 lbs but I do workout about 3 to 4 times weekly. I know it will take many months to get rid all the extra weight. But I am wondering if my ketones are low because I am consuming too much protein. So my second question is, how much protein is too much before it turns to carb metabolism? I am, for the most part following the formula presented at the origin of this post and I do consume a lot of spinach. But if I am hungry I will eat an extra chicken breast.

Still learning. Thank you for your help

ash407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm looking at starting this diet. My only concern is I train after work then would go home and have tea. From your article it's saying just have protein... Is that right just have protein for tea? Is that really sustainable? Or can anyone recommend food to eat after training..

Just protein after training?

Any help with the above post. Starting the diet today...

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ash407 View Post
    Any help with the above post. Starting the diet today...

It doesn't matter. The concerns about post workout fat consumption slowing protein absorption were debunked long ago.

Just focus on your daily intake.
    Delirious Mutant.

Originally Posted by necon76 View Post
    It doesn't matter. The concerns about post workout fat consumption slowing protein absorption were debunked long ago.

Just focus on your daily intake.
    Perfect thank you mate. So basically just hit my daily macros. Doesn't matter whether it's after training or not still just eat more or less same as before.

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ash407 View Post
    Perfect thank you mate. So basically just hit my daily macros. Doesn't matter whether it's after training or not still just eat more or less same as before.

Spot on. Just eat in whatever fashion makes you feel/perform best.
    Delirious Mutant.

caseygoodrich has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The Cyclical Ketogenic Diet: True Fat Loss

In recent media, low carbohydrate diets have been THE fad for almost everybody in America wanting to lose weight. From your secretaries, elementary school teachers, and desk clerks, to bodybuilders, models, actresses, and athletes.

However, there is a huge difference between those who follow an Atkins plan and those who follow a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD). Atkins is a low carb plan for those who are quite sedentary, walk maybe 3 times a week at the most, and just follow normal everyday activities. So forget Atkins here. The CKD is for those who’s main concern is true fat loss and muscle preservation—muscle for sports and high intensity activities.

My opinion for those who practice Atkins is that while they do lose fat, there is much water loss and most importantly muscle loss. Something we athletes do not want. A CKD is a true fat loss diet that works undeniably, if followed properly and strictly. Yes, low carb diets can be hell at first, but after two to three weeks, there have been anecdotal reports from many dieters that the cravings for carbohydrates decrease. This route to fat burning is unlike any traditional diet all the low-fat diet authors and FDA people have been advocating in history.

I got turned onto this diet a few years back when I got tired of cutting fat and still not being able to lose those last percentage points of bodyfat without losing hard earned muscle. I would start a low-fat diet, and be a either a social misfit (not going out with my friends to party or not going out to eat). Or in the worse case, feel so deprived of delicious junk foods I missed and bail out on the diet all together. One advantage to this diet is that there is no true restrictions on food. One may eat anything labeled a "food"! Well, almost. I’ll explain later.

How the diet works.

The science behind the CKD is simple. Carbohydrates in the diet cause an insulin (a "storage" hormone) output in the pancreas. It is used to store glycogen, amino acids into muscles, while causing excess calories to be stored as fat. So common sense asks me, "How can one try to break down fat, when your body is in a storage-type mode?" Difficult to do, indeed. That is why it makes perfect sense for step one to be cutting carbs.

The next thing that happens in your body is the rise in catecholamines (a "fat mobilizing" hormone), cortisol (a "breakdown" hormone), and growth hormone. Now your body realizes there’s no more carbs to burn for energy, so it must find another energy source: fat.

This usually happens during a metabolic condition called "ketosis." This is when your liver is out of glycogen and starts to produce ketones (by-products of fatty acids). You can check your status of whether or not you are in ketosis with urinalysis strips you can pick up at any local drug store called "Ketostix." Just urinate and see if it turns color. If so, you have ketones in the urine.

When the body is fed fat and protein, it will use dietary fat along with bodyfat for energy with protein going towards repair.

As a side note, there is another reason why this diet makes the most sense to use while keeping muscle. When one follows a high carbohydrate, low-fat, reduced-calorie diet, there’s a point when some bodyfat is burned, but when the body is still in a carbohydrate burning metabolism while trying to lose "weight," it will strip down precious body protein to convert to glucose for energy.

On the other hand, during fat metabolism, protein cannot be converted into free-fatty acids for energy. Although there is no scientific research done on this, there have been reports from followers that there truly is a "protein-sparing" effect. It makes sense doesn’t it? Where else would the body look for fat energy when all dietary fat is burned? Bodyfat.

Diet Requirements Mon. to Fri.

The phrase "working smarter, not harder" applies here more than any diet one has tried. One must fully understand what they must do in order to optimize their goal. To set a CKD up, one cannot just expect to cut all carbs in the diet, train hard, and lose fat! Although some have come up with variations to this plan, the one stated in this article, I have found, has worked for myself (it got me to 6% BF), and other clients I’ve trained to the leanest, hardest they’ve ever been.

First, to set up the diet, write down your lean mass weight. Not your total weight, dough boy. If you weigh 200, but have 20% bodyfat, your lean mass weight would be around 160 pounds. Multiply this by one, getting your grams of protein requirements for a day. Make sure you eat at least one gram of protein/pound of lean mass! This is important in recovery from workouts and enough nitrogen retention to keep muscle. Next, multiply by four, to get your protein calories. Here, it is 640.

The rest of your caloric requirements for the day should be fat. Here is the catch: you must eat fat to burn fat. There’s no way around it. There are many advantages to dietary fat on this diet: Feeling of fullness since fat digestion is slow (less hunger), tastes great, and lowers blood glucose levels (lowering insulin and allow all the fat burning hormones to do their job).

So how much fat? I always recommend starting out with a 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance calories. If you don’t know, it is usually 15 times body weight (full body weight here) depending on an individuals metabolic rate. So here, the example would need 3000 calories a day to maintain weight, and 2500 calories to begin fat loss.

2500 minus 640 (protein calories) is 1860 which works out to be around 206 fat grams a day. Now as you go deeper into the diet, and find the need to restrict calories more, you must cut fat calories, not protein.

The Weekend Carb Load

Since muscle glycogen is the main source of energy for anaerobic exercise such as weight training, we cannot simply deplete all stores while working out and not fill them back up. If that does happen, be rest-assured that the body WILL use protein for fuel then. But this won’t happen on the CKD.

Your one and a half days of "freedom" allow you to do two things: First, reward your carb cravings from the previous days, allowing you to enjoy pleasures like pizza, pasta, breads, etc. Second, eating these things are physiologically rewarding as insulin levels run high, storing amino acids and carbs, as glycogen, into the depleted muscle allowing you to be able to workout again the following week.

Your "carb-up" should begin Friday night and last until around midnight Saturday. Now the next important issue to address is how many carbs. Some lucky individuals find that they eat whatever they want for the 24-30 hour time interval and receive perfect glycogen compensation, while others rely on a better statistical number.

What has been recommended by other authors of the CKD is 10-12 grams of carbs per kilogram of lean mass. Again, time to do math. Our example had 160 pounds of lean mass, so divide that by the conversion factor of 2.2, and we get roughly 73 kg.

100 Grams of easily digested liquid carbs along with around half as many grams of carbs in protein (here 50) as a whey shake or something of that nature should be taken right after the last workout (which I will address in the workout section of the article) when insulin sensitivity will be at its greatest.

A few hours later this individual will start to spread the remaining 630 grams of carbs, along with the important number of 160 grams of protein (remember, keep this constant) during the remainder of the compensation period.

So what about dietary fat? I know you’re reminding yourself, "Didn’t this guy mention pizza?" Yes, I did. And here’s why. During the first 24-30 hours of carbing up, the body will use all dietary carbohydrates to refill glycogen, protein for rebuilding, and get this: fat for energy. Still?

Just like the previous five and a half days. Makes sense. When all the carbohydrates are being used for more important functions (muscle), what else is there to be used? However, you can’t just eat all the fat you want. Keep grams of fat intake below your body weight in kilograms. Again, here our example will keep is fat below 73 during the carb-fest.

By anecdotal reports, this should keep fat regain minimal to nil. Keeping fat intake extremely low has even caused some extra fat burning during the carb up!

As stated before, some dietary fat should be eaten to slow digestion and keep sugar levels stable. Whether it be saturated, unsaturated, or essential fats, is the dieter’s decision. All have nine calories per gram. (Note: there is a claim that essential fatty acids such as flax seed oil increase insulin sensitivity within the muscle cells, in turn, increasing glycogen intake.)

In Case You Missed It

So here’s how it breaks down during the week: Sunday through Friday afternoon , you will follow the low carb diet outlined above. Eat fat and protein all day everyday except on workout days because after workouts, you will need to consume strictly just protein—no fat or carbs.

Some have found to enjoy a protein shake afterwards because they are easily digested. Do whatever works for you. But fat is not logical since you want the protein to fuel the healing process as quickly as possible and fat will only slow it down.

Friday afternoon, around two hours before your last workout of the week, eat two to three pieces of fruit. This will get your body/liver ready to start the carb loading and give you some energy for that final, dreadful workout (trust me, during the first few weeks, you will not want to do that final workout, but you must). Then from Friday night until Saturday at midnight or until bed, eat those carbs!
    This is very dangerous for me. I followed this after being on a Keto diet for 4 weeks. I waited tell Friday after a hard workout today and eat what I wanted as it talked about and it caused my blood sugar to go to high levels. Scared the **** out of me. I monitored my blood and ketones for weeks to make sure I said in Ketosis and that is why I noticed it. My theory is that my liver was not used to creating as much insulin and thus my sugar levels went higher than I have ever seen.

millerb77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The Cyclical Ketogenic Diet: True Fat Loss

In recent media, low carbohydrate diets have been THE fad for almost everybody in America wanting to lose weight. From your secretaries, elementary school teachers, and desk clerks, to bodybuilders, models, actresses, and athletes.

However, there is a huge difference between those who follow an Atkins plan and those who follow a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD). Atkins is a low carb plan for those who are quite sedentary, walk maybe 3 times a week at the most, and just follow normal everyday activities. So forget Atkins here. The CKD is for those who’s main concern is true fat loss and muscle preservation—muscle for sports and high intensity activities.

My opinion for those who practice Atkins is that while they do lose fat, there is much water loss and most importantly muscle loss. Something we athletes do not want. A CKD is a true fat loss diet that works undeniably, if followed properly and strictly. Yes, low carb diets can be hell at first, but after two to three weeks, there have been anecdotal reports from many dieters that the cravings for carbohydrates decrease. This route to fat burning is unlike any traditional diet all the low-fat diet authors and FDA people have been advocating in history.

I got turned onto this diet a few years back when I got tired of cutting fat and still not being able to lose those last percentage points of bodyfat without losing hard earned muscle. I would start a low-fat diet, and be a either a social misfit (not going out with my friends to party or not going out to eat). Or in the worse case, feel so deprived of delicious junk foods I missed and bail out on the diet all together. One advantage to this diet is that there is no true restrictions on food. One may eat anything labeled a "food"! Well, almost. I’ll explain later.

How the diet works.

The science behind the CKD is simple. Carbohydrates in the diet cause an insulin (a "storage" hormone) output in the pancreas. It is used to store glycogen, amino acids into muscles, while causing excess calories to be stored as fat. So common sense asks me, "How can one try to break down fat, when your body is in a storage-type mode?" Difficult to do, indeed. That is why it makes perfect sense for step one to be cutting carbs.

The next thing that happens in your body is the rise in catecholamines (a "fat mobilizing" hormone), cortisol (a "breakdown" hormone), and growth hormone. Now your body realizes there’s no more carbs to burn for energy, so it must find another energy source: fat.

This usually happens during a metabolic condition called "ketosis." This is when your liver is out of glycogen and starts to produce ketones (by-products of fatty acids). You can check your status of whether or not you are in ketosis with urinalysis strips you can pick up at any local drug store called "Ketostix." Just urinate and see if it turns color. If so, you have ketones in the urine.

When the body is fed fat and protein, it will use dietary fat along with bodyfat for energy with protein going towards repair.

As a side note, there is another reason why this diet makes the most sense to use while keeping muscle. When one follows a high carbohydrate, low-fat, reduced-calorie diet, there’s a point when some bodyfat is burned, but when the body is still in a carbohydrate burning metabolism while trying to lose "weight," it will strip down precious body protein to convert to glucose for energy.

On the other hand, during fat metabolism, protein cannot be converted into free-fatty acids for energy. Although there is no scientific research done on this, there have been reports from followers that there truly is a "protein-sparing" effect. It makes sense doesn’t it? Where else would the body look for fat energy when all dietary fat is burned? Bodyfat.

Diet Requirements Mon. to Fri.

The phrase "working smarter, not harder" applies here more than any diet one has tried. One must fully understand what they must do in order to optimize their goal. To set a CKD up, one cannot just expect to cut all carbs in the diet, train hard, and lose fat! Although some have come up with variations to this plan, the one stated in this article, I have found, has worked for myself (it got me to 6% BF), and other clients I’ve trained to the leanest, hardest they’ve ever been.

First, to set up the diet, write down your lean mass weight. Not your total weight, dough boy. If you weigh 200, but have 20% bodyfat, your lean mass weight would be around 160 pounds. Multiply this by one, getting your grams of protein requirements for a day. Make sure you eat at least one gram of protein/pound of lean mass! This is important in recovery from workouts and enough nitrogen retention to keep muscle. Next, multiply by four, to get your protein calories. Here, it is 640.

The rest of your caloric requirements for the day should be fat. Here is the catch: you must eat fat to burn fat. There’s no way around it. There are many advantages to dietary fat on this diet: Feeling of fullness since fat digestion is slow (less hunger), tastes great, and lowers blood glucose levels (lowering insulin and allow all the fat burning hormones to do their job).

So how much fat? I always recommend starting out with a 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance calories. If you don’t know, it is usually 15 times body weight (full body weight here) depending on an individuals metabolic rate. So here, the example would need 3000 calories a day to maintain weight, and 2500 calories to begin fat loss.

2500 minus 640 (protein calories) is 1860 which works out to be around 206 fat grams a day. Now as you go deeper into the diet, and find the need to restrict calories more, you must cut fat calories, not protein.

The Weekend Carb Load

Since muscle glycogen is the main source of energy for anaerobic exercise such as weight training, we cannot simply deplete all stores while working out and not fill them back up. If that does happen, be rest-assured that the body WILL use protein for fuel then. But this won’t happen on the CKD.

Your one and a half days of "freedom" allow you to do two things: First, reward your carb cravings from the previous days, allowing you to enjoy pleasures like pizza, pasta, breads, etc. Second, eating these things are physiologically rewarding as insulin levels run high, storing amino acids and carbs, as glycogen, into the depleted muscle allowing you to be able to workout again the following week.

Your "carb-up" should begin Friday night and last until around midnight Saturday. Now the next important issue to address is how many carbs. Some lucky individuals find that they eat whatever they want for the 24-30 hour time interval and receive perfect glycogen compensation, while others rely on a better statistical number.

What has been recommended by other authors of the CKD is 10-12 grams of carbs per kilogram of lean mass. Again, time to do math. Our example had 160 pounds of lean mass, so divide that by the conversion factor of 2.2, and we get roughly 73 kg.

100 Grams of easily digested liquid carbs along with around half as many grams of carbs in protein (here 50) as a whey shake or something of that nature should be taken right after the last workout (which I will address in the workout section of the article) when insulin sensitivity will be at its greatest.

A few hours later this individual will start to spread the remaining 630 grams of carbs, along with the important number of 160 grams of protein (remember, keep this constant) during the remainder of the compensation period.

So what about dietary fat? I know you’re reminding yourself, "Didn’t this guy mention pizza?" Yes, I did. And here’s why. During the first 24-30 hours of carbing up, the body will use all dietary carbohydrates to refill glycogen, protein for rebuilding, and get this: fat for energy. Still?

Just like the previous five and a half days. Makes sense. When all the carbohydrates are being used for more important functions (muscle), what else is there to be used? However, you can’t just eat all the fat you want. Keep grams of fat intake below your body weight in kilograms. Again, here our example will keep is fat below 73 during the carb-fest.

By anecdotal reports, this should keep fat regain minimal to nil. Keeping fat intake extremely low has even caused some extra fat burning during the carb up!

As stated before, some dietary fat should be eaten to slow digestion and keep sugar levels stable. Whether it be saturated, unsaturated, or essential fats, is the dieter’s decision. All have nine calories per gram. (Note: there is a claim that essential fatty acids such as flax seed oil increase insulin sensitivity within the muscle cells, in turn, increasing glycogen intake.)

In Case You Missed It

So here’s how it breaks down during the week: Sunday through Friday afternoon , you will follow the low carb diet outlined above. Eat fat and protein all day everyday except on workout days because after workouts, you will need to consume strictly just protein—no fat or carbs.

Some have found to enjoy a protein shake afterwards because they are easily digested. Do whatever works for you. But fat is not logical since you want the protein to fuel the healing process as quickly as possible and fat will only slow it down.

Friday afternoon, around two hours before your last workout of the week, eat two to three pieces of fruit. This will get your body/liver ready to start the carb loading and give you some energy for that final, dreadful workout (trust me, during the first few weeks, you will not want to do that final workout, but you must). Then from Friday night until Saturday at midnight or until bed, eat those carbs!
    so as for my refeed on friday/ saturday if i was to follow this...lets say im working out at 6 pm on friday, would i follow my ketogenic diet in terms of macros (f/p/c) up until the workout and then treat it as if a new day has started and include 160 g protein from friday night until saturday at midnight, or do i include the protein and fats consumed prior to the workout in my 24 hour refeed macros?