Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question on heart rate and calories

Hey everyone, this may be a simple question to answer but I am kind of foggy on the answer because I here contradicting storys from people at my gym. If you are exercising and your heart rate is at say 160 BPM are you going to burn the same amount of calories no matter what exercise it is, if you stay at 160? For example, if I was doing the stairclimber at 160 BPM or the eliptical runner at 160 BPM would I burn the same amount of calories??

Thanks in advance everyone!

peace
    Don't quit it just cuz you can't lift it- Farma
    "Wanna get big? stop lookin and start workin!"- Farma
    "Quality not quanity applies to a lot of things; bodybuilding is one of those things" - Farma
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"
    "The O.S.R has begun, we're taken out anyone in the way!!" - Farma

Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles
    Im not saying this answer is definite but im gonna have to say that no you will burn a different amount of calories
    Muscles

Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Alright, thanks for posting....Im hoping someone will have a "set-in-stone" answer sometime....

peace
    "Quality not quanity applies to a lot of things; bodybuilding is one of those things" - Farma
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"

Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles
    I say no because when I compare a bike to a treadmill the treadmill burns more than the bike.
    Muscles

Yeah it says it on the computer, but what I am saying is if you are at a steady 160 BPM on a bike or treadmill will you burn the same amount of calories? It's not just set to a bike or treadmill, anything in exercise where your heart rate would be at 160 BPM (im just using 160 for example) would you burn the same cals because your HR is the same for either exercise.

PLEASE SOMEONE end the madness and answer my question

thanks
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i guess the answer would be pretty close to yes, provided the time spent during each exercise was the same,
    "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
    - Bruce Lee

"My studying mimics my training. Brief, intense and infrequent.."
    - Big Red

Yeah, the time would be the same...here lemme do this

Stairclimber
    HR: 160 BPM
    20 Minutes

Eliptical Runner
    20 Minutes

Treadmill
    20 Minutes

there we go, now same calories burnt on each one??
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    not exactly, different muscle groups are used in each exercise (slightly). running at 160bpm and riding a bike and 160bpm, you will burn a different amount of calories because you will be doing a different amount of work even though heart rate is the same... I'm pretty sure that's right, although i'm not going to guarantee it.

cool, I was trying to find it online and stuff but I can't. I know somewhere out there someone or something has a answer that is backed by some research.

peace
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"

bump
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"

up
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"

jwcalla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I don't know about official research, but use common sense:

The exercise that burns more calories will be the exercise that requires the more energy to perform. The actual heart beat rate is not a measurement of how much energy is being used (calories burned).

But then things get complicated. A lot of the calories burned from cardiovascular exercise occurs up to several hours after completing the exercise, because of the increased heart rate.

I think practically speaking, the number of calories burned from cardio work is all going to be in the same neighborhood for an equal heart rate, though the actual specific numbers should be different.

John