JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Long break after injury and need start up advice

I was at one time very dedicated to training, however I ended up hurting myself pretty bad. Within a year I had three torn meniscus, a dislocated left hip, torn right rotator cuff, tendinitis in both forearms and my right hand (no jokes!), "tennis" elbow in both elbows, and to top it off I got a real bad case of shin splints in both shins.

Needless to say I took a break, for about six months. Why that long? The doctor told me that it would be a good idea to take a long break. He even told me that it wasn't a good idea to lift anymore because the weight was to much stress on my body. What do doctors know anyway (oops). So six months seemed long enough for me. My big mistake was coming back to do the same exact thing all over again. Everything aggravated itself again, a lot of it returned, and I got so frustrated with myself that I quit. Yea, the "q" word.

It has been a about two years now since I have even thought about starting again. The problem is I just don't know where to go from here. Within that two years I gained 50lbs, and not in a good way, so the playing field is different for me. I am out of shape, need to get in shape, and am motivated all over again.

My detailed stats are on the body space thing as well as my current workout routine. It's not much, but I am really trying to make this work without injuring myself again. I just need some serious advice.

stats: 25 y/o, male, 5'07", 250lbs (measurements on body space).

The goals I wrote down were 1.) 10% Body Fat 2.) Run 5k in 22:00:00 3.) 10+ Pull ups 4.) 400+lb Bench Press - I want to be able to do this by August 1st of 2008.

Right now my most serious goal is to drop the BF percentage, which I do not know right now. I am going to get hydrostatic tested in about a week or two. If I really had to guess *gulp* I would say it is 28-30% (throwing up right now).

My current workout program is:
    Monday: 30 min. jogging (approx 2 miles)

Tuesday: Barbell Bench Press 3x18
    Barbell Bicep Curl 4x10
    30 min walking

Wednesday: 30 min. jogging (approx 2 miles)

Thursday: Assisted Pull-ups 3x15
    Barbell Skull Crushers 4x10
    30 min walking

Friday: 30 min. jogging (approx 2 miles)

Saturday: 30 min. jogging (approx 2 miles)

Sunday: Rest

**I will take any advice given. Like I said, I know nothing. At this point I am just reading and trying to start over again. I am motivated to do this, I just need some help.

Also, if anyone is a nutritionalist I am looking to employ one. I know that this is an area of weakness for me and I am willing to learn.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry for making this a book.
    "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." - Lewis "Chesty" Puller

"Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire." - Samuel Johnson

johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnnyboyox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Seems like too much jogging to me. Remember, the process of getting back into shape is not going to happen overnight. If you do that much jogging, your body won't be able to handle the stress. I'd suggest starting out walking or better yet on the elliptical. Also, you should add some weighted leg work in there. In my experience, leg muscles respond really fast to weight training.

JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimScott82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Johnnyboyox:

Ok. Yea, I wasn't sure about the running part, but I know that it is really good cardio. Also, most of my injuries have been in the lower parts of my body so I have been reluctant to start that up again. I was thinking of adding some extensions, I just don't know about the stress. I guess since I am running and am just experiencing mild discomfort it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks.
    "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." - Lewis "Chesty" Puller

"Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire." - Samuel Johnson

jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Stop the jogging it only serves to cause damage to joints. Run or walk, either way you can move with fluid motion. Another choice is Eliptical machines or bicycling, or swimming the goal remains the same, reduce stress and impact damage while getting a good cardio workout.

After a number of years jogging I have the bad knees to show for it.

Jawter:

Yea, I can agree with that. It never feels great to run, but it is the only exercise where I can get my heart rate up and keep it up for about 20-25 min. I do have a bike but I hate sitting on that stupid thing. I guess I should use it though. I wish I could swim, that would be great. I need to move to a city, small towns don't have much. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I guess I could just spend a little more time on the bike. It will save my knee's in the long run. Thanks.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It is incredible to think you have that history on injuries: what sort of training were you doing?

If you have had 3 meniscal tears, jogging is not a recommended exercise. Cycling, walking and other exercises with reduced impact are highly recommended. Water aerobics and water based exercises may also be a good starting point.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Fresch View Post
    It is incredible to think you have that history on injuries: what sort of training were you doing?
    My main goal was to do powerlifting/strong man. I even did a competition at Camp Pendleton ("Strongest Warrior") and got fourth place. The problem I had was I worked through pain and didn't ever try to fix it. I didn't even use a belt because I was convinced that it would make my core stronger. Good idea huh? Yea, I think I had brain damage and didn't know it (still might). Anyway, my goal now is to try to loose the fat, and then get perportioned with my body. My lower body is way bigger then my upper body. Other then that I just want to be healthy and be able to play with my kids. I am only 25 and my knees click like the second hand on a clock when I walk.

jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    After rereading your post I'm still of the mind that low impact cardio plus a good stretching routine is a good starting point for you. You can also add some basic PT exercises such as push-ups, squat thrusts, sit-up and the like. Military PT while not fun or glorious does work, just don't do the exercises that impact the joints like the "Side straddle hop" (jumping jacks for you civies).

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JimScott82 View Post
    My main goal was to do powerlifting/strong man. I even did a competition at Camp Pendleton ("Strongest Warrior") and got fourth place. The problem I had was I worked through pain and didn't ever try to fix it. I didn't even use a belt because I was convinced that it would make my core stronger. Good idea huh? Yea, I think I had brain damage and didn't know it (still might). Anyway, my goal now is to try to loose the fat, and then get perportioned with my body. My lower body is way bigger then my upper body. Other then that I just want to be healthy and be able to play with my kids. I am only 25 and my knees click like the second hand on a clock when I walk.
    I would also add PATIENCE to your training regime.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Yea, good points. Thank you.