Wheeman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wheeman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

~~Shrugs and stiff neck~~

Hi all,

Was doing shrugs last week, just about 7 of them. Was the first time I've ever done them. Felt nice that day I did them. Next day though my neck felt very sore and stiff (like any muscle might after a workout). I was wondering if over time this soreness goes away because it was sore for a few days. To the point to where I almost had a headache due to it being in such a pain in the ass spot to be sore if ya know what I mean.

So I'm wondering if I should try them again sometime, if they're helpful for anything, and weather or not I should start out lighter for now till my body gets used to the movement.

Thanks!

Maxim Vesuvius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I went through the exact same thing a few years back. I decided to do shrugs for the first time, and felt that the weight so light that I went heavy. Well, I ended up on the same boat you're on, just that I had headaches and trouble sleeping. I took pain killers and eased up for a few days till the pain went away. After that, I continued with lighter weight till I knew that my body was set in knowing that I was going to workout that muscle group.

%%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You know...I've recently began getting stiff necks lately. I thought it was just the position of me sleeping, so I blew it off.

Now I know what's really causing them.

patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the first time i did deadlift, in the 3rd set, i was gonna get to the vertical position, i advanced to the bench to get my water and in the way i fell off to the ground, my hams werent injured, but killed

the first time (and the 2 following) i did shrugs, that night I COULDNT sleep, because the neck was killing me, i was about to go to the hospital, but it was just soreness

dont worry, there are some pains which arent really bad, they dissappear in 2 days, and you dont need a medic

Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Denver Ice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Heavy shrugs always give me a stiff neck the next day.
    Try and keep your head staright and dont tilt if forward.
    Also at the end of the workout, stretch your neck thouroughly,it is worth those 2 minutes- trust me!
    Unleashed

fresh_game has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fresh_game has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fresh_game has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

more on this

I'm actually sitting in the library right now laughing about this because my neck is friggin killing me. And it's very uncomfortable but I love it. Reminds to eat right whenever I'm not in the gym. I think why the hell does my neck hurt so bad... and I remember oh yeah cause you want to be a bad ass. I use a smith machine and a lot of weight for my shrugs. It's my favorite movement... love to see the strian in my face lol
    "PERSONALITY IS BORN OUT OF PAIN"

Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Besides stretching, have you guys found anything that helps avoid a stiff neck? I don't plan on doing shrugs for a while, but I liked them when I was doing them, but they kept giving me problems. The people at my gym roll their shoulders forwards when they do them, not just a straight up and down movement. Which form is correct, or do they target different parts of the muscle group?