Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 6'5", 336 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1005
    Wheeman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wheeman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit Wheeman's BodySpace

~~Shrugs and stiff neck~~

Hi all,

Was doing shrugs last week, just about 7 of them. Was the first time I've ever done them. Felt nice that day I did them. Next day though my neck felt very sore and stiff (like any muscle might after a workout). I was wondering if over time this soreness goes away because it was sore for a few days. To the point to where I almost had a headache due to it being in such a pain in the ass spot to be sore if ya know what I mean.

So I'm wondering if I should try them again sometime, if they're helpful for anything, and weather or not I should start out lighter for now till my body gets used to the movement.

Thanks!

Stats: 5'8", 184 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1196
    Maxim Vesuvius is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Maxim Vesuvius's BodySpace
    I went through the exact same thing a few years back. I decided to do shrugs for the first time, and felt that the weight so light that I went heavy. Well, I ended up on the same boat you're on, just that I had headaches and trouble sleeping. I took pain killers and eased up for a few days till the pain went away. After that, I continued with lighter weight till I knew that my body was set in knowing that I was going to workout that muscle group.

Stats: 5'11", 170 lbs
    BodyPoints: 3826
    %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) %%%% has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit %%%%'s BodySpace
    You know...I've recently began getting stiff necks lately. I thought it was just the position of me sleeping, so I blew it off.

Now I know what's really causing them.

patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) patilla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the first time i did deadlift, in the 3rd set, i was gonna get to the vertical position, i advanced to the bench to get my water and in the way i fell off to the ground, my hams werent injured, but killed

the first time (and the 2 following) i did shrugs, that night I COULDNT sleep, because the neck was killing me, i was about to go to the hospital, but it was just soreness

dont worry, there are some pains which arent really bad, they dissappear in 2 days, and you dont need a medic

Stats: 5'11", 205 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2809
    Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Denver Ice has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Denver Ice's BodySpace
    Heavy shrugs always give me a stiff neck the next day.
    Try and keep your head staright and dont tilt if forward.
    Also at the end of the workout, stretch your neck thouroughly,it is worth those 2 minutes- trust me!
    Unleashed

fresh_game has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fresh_game has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fresh_game has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

more on this

I'm actually sitting in the library right now laughing about this because my neck is friggin killing me. And it's very uncomfortable but I love it. Reminds to eat right whenever I'm not in the gym. I think why the hell does my neck hurt so bad... and I remember oh yeah cause you want to be a bad ass. I use a smith machine and a lot of weight for my shrugs. It's my favorite movement... love to see the strian in my face lol
    "PERSONALITY IS BORN OUT OF PAIN"

Stats: 5'8", 165 lbs
    BodyPoints: 10166
    Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kion has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Kion's BodySpace
    Besides stretching, have you guys found anything that helps avoid a stiff neck? I don't plan on doing shrugs for a while, but I liked them when I was doing them, but they kept giving me problems. The people at my gym roll their shoulders forwards when they do them, not just a straight up and down movement. Which form is correct, or do they target different parts of the muscle group?