Fit_4_Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy OT: Post-Op Recovery & Training

Guys, I had an emergency appendectomy on Saturday afternoon. Doc released me from the hospital yesterday evening. I am curious if anyone else has had the procedure done?

I know people heal at different rates, but how long before you were able to go back into lifting? I have a follow-up appointment in two weeks, but would like to know what to expect?

Also, since lifting is out of the question for the foreseeable future, what should I do about taking my supplements? Should I continue taking Creatine? I was also bulking, guess I should probably cut the calories for a while.

I'd appreciate any help you guys could offer.
    The great successful people...
    create their mental picture, and
    then go to work materializing that picture...

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Fit_4_Life
    Guys, I had an emergency appendectomy on Saturday afternoon. Doc released me from the hospital yesterday evening. I am curious if anyone else has had the procedure done?

I know people heal at different rates, but how long before you were able to go back into lifting? I have a follow-up appointment in two weeks, but would like to know what to expect?

Also, since lifting is out of the question for the foreseeable future, what should I do about taking my supplements? Should I continue taking Creatine? I was also bulking, guess I should probably cut the calories for a while.

I'd appreciate any help you guys could offer.
    i havent had the procedure, but a general rule of thumb after any kind of surgery is that you should wait until you feel 100% without any nagging pains...then wait another week or two for safety reasons.

were you cycling creatine or just taking it on a regular basis? if either, id probably lower the dosages and eventually stop until you start lifting again.

if you're bulking, definately do not cut the calories.. just try to eat cleaner seeing as you wont be in the gym for a whle

Originally Posted by .aeterna
    were you cycling creatine or just taking it on a regular basis? if either, id probably lower the dosages and eventually stop until you start lifting again.
    I wasn't cycling. Just taking 7gs a day post-workout. Thanks for response.

^bump^

crunch_a_munch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crunch_a_munch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ask the surgeon how long u have to wait or else if u lift too soon u could really screw somethin up.

MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the procedure done. I remember right afterward, I couldn't even sit up in the hospital bed. God damn, that sucked. Of course, beforehand, I was throwing up every hour. The doctor told me not to strain myself for two weeks or so, but I only waited one. I lost most, if not all, of the pain after three days. Nothing happened to me, but I don't know, I'd just wait a couple days after the pain stops.
    Weight = 220
    Height = 5'9"
    Bodyfat = 7-10%
    Waist = 33 in.
    Chest = 49 in.
    Upper Arms = 18.5 in.
    Quads = 29 in.
    Calves = 19 in.

Flexibility = Awesomeness

Originally Posted by crunch_a_munch
    ask the surgeon how long u have to wait or else if u lift too soon u could really screw somethin up.
    Yeah, will do. Just curious of others who have had the same experience. Thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by MojoWrestler
    I had the procedure done. I remember right afterward, I couldn't even sit up in the hospital bed. God damn, that sucked. Of course, beforehand, I was throwing up every hour. The doctor told me not to strain myself for two weeks or so, but I only waited one. I lost most, if not all, of the pain after three days. Nothing happened to me, but I don't know, I'd just wait a couple days after the pain stops.
    Mojo, yeah it sucks. Sitting up and walking hurt like hell. Even with the pain meds I can't get any decent sleep. Now I am at home dodging my toddler son who wants to be held.

Do you mean you started lifting after a week?

Thanks for the response.

nu-b has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have had some expierence with surgery. My big thing was wound healing. I had the same surgery three times, mainlt because the wound would not heal. Up your multi, if you are taking your multivitamin twice a day, take it three times. Take extra vitamin C. Keep your protein high. I would even add in an extra shake, or keep your PWO shake, even if you dont workout. Your body is going to need the protein to heal up. Also keep the wound very clean, as to avoid infection. If your doc gave you painkillers, try to only take them if it is necessary. I have been told by a doc, and have read this somewhere also, that the painkillers will slow down the healing process. Good luck, and don't go to the gym if you can't. It is better to just take a longer time off, than to aggravate something and have to have surgery again or something. Take it easy.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    a few weeks at the very least.
    <->