Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000)

***The OFFICIAL BICEPS Thread***

After seeing countless threads across the teen and exercise forum asking the same question over and over, "How do I get big biceps," I decided to help clear things up for all of you guys out there. I collected and used articles from the bodybuilding.com database and took the most important pieces of information and put them all into this thread dedicated to those who need bicep help.

Lets get started

First, you need to understand the function and anatomy of the biceps, "The biceps, as per it bi prefix, is a two-headed muscle. Its specific physiological function is twofold: to bend the elbow (the essence of a curl movement) and rotate the wrist." Well what does that mean? It means that the biceps are composed of two heads of pieces of muscle, an outer and inner head, serving in two functions: rotating the wrist and bending the elbow (curling motion).

So, continuing on, here are the 7 most important pieces of information you need to know if you want big arms (again, summarized from bb.com articles)

1) Know the anatomy. Which you should know from above.

2) Hit'em Hard, But Briefly. "The whole point of lifting weights is to trigger a growth response...To achieve this, you must lift heavier and/or do more reps than you're used to...Some muscles have a high ratio of slow-twitch muscle fibers and may benefit from more reps with lower weight. Biceps and triceps aren't among them. For best results, focus primarily on fairly heavy training in the 6-8 rep range (using strict form)... ***Doing set after set of bicep curls for hours may be downright counterproductive, while just a few, high-intensity sets where you really wring every ounce of juice out of the muscles, is enough to trigger the growth response mentioned earlier."

3) Mix Things Up. Day in and day out doing the same old thing gets boring, and that's how your body feels. Dont be afraid to try new exercises or new routines, youve got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Try different hand positions, drop sets, supersets, or 21s

4) Target Specific Parts Of Each Muscle. "In order to maximize development, you should make an active effort to target each part in every workout. So how do you accomplish this?" You've got to train the entire bicep, not just one part, do exercises for the inner and outer biceps as well as the brachialis to achieve maximum results.

5) Intensity techniques. Use them sparingly, only at the end of your bicep routine (this goes for any bodypart). Failing to use these techniques appropriately can cause overtraining and be counterproductive. Here are a few:

-Dropsets
    -Supersets
    -21s
    -Forced and Partial reps
    -Negative reps

6) ***Get Plenty Of Rest.*** SLEEP, 7-8+ hours is usually fine. You don't grow in the gym guys

7) Eat Plenty. If you don't eat enough, theres no point in even training. Your body will simply not have enough calories, protein, and energy it needs to grow.

So those are the 7 basic steps to building biceps as well as any other muscle.

Answering the popular question, "Which exercises should I do?" is next up.

There is no secret, hands down, these are the best bicep builders:

- Standing bb curls (should be in every bicep routine you do - recommended by Arnold himself)
    - One-arm preacher curls and Preacher curls
    - Incline Hammer curls
    - Hammer curls
    - Pullups and Chinups
    - BACK training, yes back training, your biceps are worked in EVERY back movement you do (pulling motion), so hit your back hard forcing your biceps to come into play.

A wider grip will target the outer bicep head a narrow grip will target the inner bicep head.

Tips on curling:

"Curl the bar up in a wide arc, bringing it as high as you can.

Do no allow your elbows to pull forward at the top; make your biceps do the work. By curling the bar in a wide arc, you can prevent other muscle groups, such as the deltoids, from performing the majority of the work."

Splits:

The last part of bicep training is actually training the biceps on the right day. If you are struggling in the arm department I suggest pairing biceps and back together as that is a solid choice. As you get more advanced, you can split up biceps and pair them with whatever suits you. Personally right now I train biceps and triceps as well as forearms when I work my chest.

Last notes:

Lastly, don't neglect tricpes. They make up about 2/3 or 66% of the upper arm, and adding mass to the triceps will add mass most definitely to the upper arm area in general.

That's it guys, there isn't much too it. Bicep training is not hard, it just has to be done right. Remember hit the bis briefly but intensely, 6-8 reps, to failure (I advocate failure, but that's another topic ) including the above mentioned exercises and training tips.

Here are the complete articles which I referenced to combine them into this one thread:

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/derek3.htm
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/aj2.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson215.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt107.htm
    Intensity Techniques http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fivestararms.htm

I hope this clears some stuff up for you guys having arm troubles. I thought Itd be a good idea to make one big thread for those who need help. Also check our RoidRage300's thread if you have a beginner question or any question for that matter

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2175171
    $

"No fck that, I'm not gonna miss any reps. I'll die before i miss a rep." - dynamik, #1

Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This should answer a lot of questions. Reps for you.
    Workout Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107713181

2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Sultan_of_Spin View Post
    This should answer a lot of questions. Reps for you.
    Thanks man, Ill return that asap.
    $

"No fck that, I'm not gonna miss any reps. I'll die before i miss a rep." - dynamik, #1

1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1FstYota has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Not bad at all, but just wait some dumbass will still be like "how do I get big biceps?"

StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000)
    How do I get my biceptz swole?

Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lavoisier has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 2 HUGE View Post
    Thanks man, Ill return that asap.
    thanks. you put a lot of effot into that, I can tell. Now someone has to make one of these about pecs
    and one about why one arm is bigger than another
    and another one about creatine
    and so on
    Workout Journal

Originally Posted by StrongInChrist View Post
    oh man thats a tough one

thanks. you put a lot of effot into that, I can tell. Now someone has to make one of these about pecs
    and one about why one arm is bigger than another
    and another one about creatine
    and so on
    that's next, chest will be my next one when I get around to it
    $

Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Surive123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I want an official hammy thread
    VPX Sports Representative
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/vpx/vpx.htm

ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ƒamous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yo 2 huge.. u replied to one of my post, and u made a great post here.. reps 2 u my friend!

Originally Posted by ƒamous View Post
    yo 2 huge.. u replied to one of my post, and u made a great post here.. reps 2 u my friend!
    thanks man, I remember starting out with so many questions and came here for advice. Just spreading some knowledge around

reps back bro
    $

my pic is very old Senor Awesome's Avatar
    Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by StrongInChrist View Post
    with teh hgh pills, oral 'roids, and remote curlz0r.
    A lot of people have been looking at too many competition condition bodybuilding photos and have a distorted sense of what "fat" is. - SideFX

PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000)
    now someone make ***The OFFICIAL ABS Thread***

joey3001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i kno this sounds kind of stupid, but when you say outer bicep, are you talking about the side that is most away form you when your arms are flat at your sides, or is that inner?

thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    bicep rly
    "If you want to be world class you must first act world class" -Travis Ortmayer

my pic is very old Senor Awesome's Avatar
    Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by joey3001 View Post
    i kno this sounds kind of stupid, but when you say outer bicep, are you talking about the side that is most away form you when your arms are flat at your sides, or is that inner?
    Hold your arm out, inside of your arm up, the right side of your right bicep, left side of your left bicep in that case is your "outer bicep" wide grip curls should hit that.
    A lot of people have been looking at too many competition condition bodybuilding photos and have a distorted sense of what "fat" is. - SideFX

Originally Posted by Senor Awesome View Post
    Hold your arm out, inside of your arm up, the right side of your right bicep, left side of your left bicep in that case is your "outer bicep" wide grip curls should hit that.
    Ill second that. Outer and inner biceps are very important, as well as brachialis. The arms are seen in every pose so make sure you hit both inner and outer biceps as well as brachialis
    $

I've got a question about a bicep exercise i guess. what muscle in your upper forearm is it that is hit when doing bicep curls?
    Workout Journal

PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000)
    brachilalis, and bicep brachii

Originally Posted by PumpingSteel View Post
    thanks. is there another exercise that hits that? besides bicep exercises?
    Workout Journal

HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good job 2 HUGE on the threads. Reps to you. Unfortunately, some people are too nieve to realize that this thread is here and ask about how you get big biceps are what kind of exercises you should do and whatnot. Hopefully this will limit it.

pull ups/chin ups/pulldowns or rows

pull ups/chin ups/pulldowns or rows
    which are exercises that indirectly work teh biceps. okay. that muscle gets worked fine from curls anyway, I was just curious. reps on recharge.
    Workout Journal

ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When would you say is the best time to train Teh Gunzzz

i do 2 hard set of BB curls and 2 hard sets of Any other curl i feel like doing that day once a week is that good?
    jsut started that ofcourse though

also what are 2 good isolation exercises for the tricep that hit every part of the tricep
    Last edited by ThatArmyKid; 07-12-2007 at 10:24 PM.

I believe he is correct.
    yes. wrist curls with a bb or db. When seated place the barbell on your kness with the grip the same width as the knee positioning (palms should be facing the floor) and curl your wrists up making sure to get full extension and contraction.

Originally Posted by HSP10 View Post
    Good job 2 HUGE on the threads. Reps to you. Unfortunately, some people are too nieve to realize that this thread is here and ask about how you get big biceps are what kind of exercises you should do and whatnot. Hopefully this will limit it.
    thanks man, my goal was to help out

reps back to all you guys, Ill get you all eventually
    $

Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i approve of the incline hammer

Originally Posted by ThatArmyKid View Post
    When would you say is the best time to train Th3 Gunzzz

i do 2 hard set of BB curls and 2 hard sets of Any other curl i feel like doing that day once a week is that good?
    jsut started that ofcourse though
    4 sets, not bad but I would throw in another exercise. Once a week is fine. How's this for an idea

bb curl
    preacher curl however you feel that day (bb or db)
    incline db
    hammer curls

thats really all you need in terms of direct bicep exercises, try to keep it 9-12 sets no more, so about 2 or 3 sets per exercise.
    $

bump for the teens before bed
    $

CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CameronO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome post very informative. Rep your way.

Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    finally an "official biceps thread"....

CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CBinns23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    this was the last thread i read last night and first one i read before going to lift....awesome that today is my arm day.....thanks for the clear up on outer and inner...watched a video with milos sarcev like months ago saying holding bars on the inside hit your outer and vis versa.....so reps to you for clearing that up hopefully it works wonders..