Don't mention Cake! thenewchamp's Avatar
    thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Post Ground Turkey vs. Ground Turkey Breast

My diet consist of chicken, turkey, and salmon. The other day I realized that I had bought 3lbs of ground turkey...I couldn't figure out why I enjoyed it so much! It wasn't dry, full of flavor...that's when I knew something was wrong. So, I went back to my regular ground turkey breast.

But my question...how big of a deal is it? Turkey breast is obviously better but turkey is lean...period! Can I keep the good stuff?
    "Be persistant in your goals and reap the rewards"

bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm thinking off hand that the ground turkey is like 93% lean but can not exactly remember and then the ground turkey breast is the leanest, thats why it cost like 3 dollars more.

Its up to you how your diet is structured if you can work in the extra fat contents. Look at the nutritional info on the package next time at the store and decide.
    "One Day I will become a pheonix and rise anew from the ashes"

sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000)
    There's a difference in fat/calories content between ground turkey and ground turkey breast. Ground turkey includes the dark meat which ups the fat/cals. That's why it tastes so much better.
    National Competitor

thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenewchamp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sixzebra View Post
    There's a difference in fat/calories content between ground turkey and ground turkey breast. Ground turkey includes the dark meat which ups the fat/cals. That's why it tastes so much better.
    But my fat and calorie intake is ver very low and I noticed on the nutrition pack that the sodium was more than twice as much as the breast.

rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000) rich55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by thenewchamp View Post
    But my fat and calorie intake is ver very low and I noticed on the nutrition pack that the sodium was more than twice as much as the breast.
    Yup, there is certainly more fat. It really depends on the overall totals of your diet and timing of your meals. If you are needing a meal SLIGHTLY higher in fat such as ground turkey or lean beef with maybe some veggies then that should be fine. But if your goal is lower fat content then you should probably pass.
    "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Phi 4:13
    - WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder, Gym Owner & Promoter -

www.BEYONDLIMITSTRAINING.net ---> the hardest working gym in Columbus, Ohio!

INBF Natural Buckeye Classic & WNBF Pro Tournament of Champions:
    www.NATURALBUCKEYECLASSIC.com - April 13, 2013

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    even ground "turkey breast" can range from One gram (99%lean) to Eighteen grams (85%lean) of fat per 4oz serving
    So you need to keep track of this closely, don't fool yourself that all turkey is lean
    Sirloin (lean) is only 7grams per 4 oz, so watch the brand and the %

my wife makes us turkey burgers from the 99% and has to use oats and some veggies to hold them together, they are awesome
    Last edited by ctgblue; 07-13-2007 at 05:29 AM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Originally Posted by rich55 View Post
    Yup, there is certainly more fat. It really depends on the overall totals of your diet and timing of your meals. If you are needing a meal SLIGHTLY higher in fat such as ground turkey or lean beef with maybe some veggies then that should be fine. But if your goal is lower fat content then you should probably pass.

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    even ground "turkey breast" can range from One gram (99%lean) to Eighteen grams (85%lean) of fat per 4oz serving
    So you need to keep track of this closely, don't fool yourself that all turkey is lean
    Sirloin (lean) is only 7grams per 4 oz, so watch the brand and the %

my wife makes us turkey burgers from the 99% and has to use oats and some veggies to hold them together, they are awesome

Thanks guys...I'll take all this into consideration. My fat intake is around 38-42 grams per day with the ground turkey and my caloric intake is less then 1,400 a day. I'm not sure if want to get lower than that until I'm 2-3 weeks out from my first contest.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    make sure you are keeping the protein high enough so you don't chew off all that muscle
    how far out are you?
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000)
    Agreed. Keep your protein up; 1400 cals is not that much so you need to preserve all the muscle you can.
    National Competitor

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    make sure you are keeping the protein high enough so you don't chew off all that muscle
    how far out are you?
    Originally Posted by sixzebra View Post
    Agreed. Keep your protein up; 1400 cals is not that much so you need to preserve all the muscle you can.
    I've got 7 weeks till my competition and my protein intake is between 160-190 grams per day.