BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000)

Beginner Questions

I have recently started going to the gym and I have a few beginner questions

Since I have no one to spot me, I have wanted to do squats on the smith machine, a Nautilus Smith Machine to be exact. The bar looks like an olympian bar, weighing 45 lbs but it feels like it's almost weightless. Is there some reason for this?

Also, I want my deadlifts to mainly work my lower back so would straight leg deadlifts be best?

Finally, is doing deadlifts in a power rack okay? There's no open spot for me to put a bar on the ground.

Thanks

IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    1. Use a powerack and collers. If you can't get it up just rest the bar down, unload the plates and put the bar back up. The smith machine is unnatural for back squats.
    2. Stiff leg is more for your hamstrings. Try rack deadlifts where the bar is positioned just below the knee.
    3. Nope, nothing wrong there.

Fit_4_Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started out in the same boat as you. I was curious if I needed a spotter for squats. Since I didn't have one I just stuck to the Smith Machine for a few weeks. After reading the responses here concerning rack squats versus Smith squats, I tried doing them in the rack. I have to admit I like them better than the Smith Machine.

My suggestion. Just squat the bar a few times to get the feel of them in the rack. Once you feel comfortable start adding weight.
    The great successful people...
    create their mental picture, and
    then go to work materializing that picture...

BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000) BobbyMol is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by IGF
    Stiff leg is more for your hamstrings. Try rack deadlifts where the bar is positioned just below the knee.
    Rack deadlifts? I tried to searched but couldn't come up with what this was.

Also, does anyone know why the smith machine bar looks like 45lbs but weights like 5lbs?

Thanks

wicked smart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BobbyMol

Also, does anyone know why the smith machine bar looks like 45lbs but weights like 5lbs?

Thanks
    counter-weight

brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by wicked smart
    counter-weight
    exactly, counterweight. I think its typically 15lbs.
    32 5'10" 180lbs 10%bf

IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BobbyMol

Thanks
    It's pretty straightfoward mate. Just set the bars in the powercage so when the barbell is resting on it the barbell will be just below knee level. Think of it as a partial deadlift. If you are doing it correctly you will notice it is just the top 2/3 of a deadlift motion, cutting off some of the leg drive needed.