AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Squats: To 'hack' or not to 'hack'

If you can look past my attempt at being clever with the title, I'd like some serious opinions on how effective a workout the hack squat is.

For those unfamiliar with this exercise offhand, it's the squat simulator type of machine where you're at an angle, slightly higher than 45 degrees, and your feet are placed on a flat piece while your back is to a moving platform.

What's made me question this exercise is the amount of weight I'm able to do. I haven't tested my free weight squat in a while, but it's pretty pathetic, even for a smith machine; but when I'm on the Hack Squat, it's like I'm Arnold or Jay Cutler or something - I'm squatting, like, five 45 plates on each side. The kicker is that I feel like I could go even higher - a lot higher! I rep out at 10 with the five plates, so I'm guessing I could go up to at least six if I were to do fewer reps...

That's beside the point though. My question is this: is the hack squat similar to what I hear about smith machines, as in it's a bastard version of its free weight counterpart? If so, would it still benefit me to at least switch to it every other, other workout just to keep from falling into a routine rut?

Thanks go out to all those who answer and help me out.

Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hack Squats are GREAT for putting muscle onto your Legs. They are a REALLY tough exercise, too. Are you going down all of the way? Five plates on each side for ten repetitions seems like a LOT (especially for your size), but I'm not going to sit here and doubt you. If you are doing that much, good for you. That's a lot of weight and you should be pleased with that.

I don't know what to tell you about your regular BB Squats. Maybe you're just not cut out for the exercise. If you want to be able to BB Squat a lot of weight, than you should be doing BB Squats a lot. If you are just looking to put muscle onto your Legs, than Hack Squats are just fine. Nothing beats BB Squats, but Hack Squats are just as tough and just as good for your Legs as BB Squats when you go down ALL OF THE WAY. Again, I'm not saying that you're not ...

Let me know if any of that ^^^ didn't help ... I'll P.M. you or something.
    Last edited by Gaffigan; 07-12-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Gaffigan View Post
    when you go down ALL OF THE WAY. Again, I'm not saying that you're not ...
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kentrox99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, 5 plates on each side. Man, I usually stop at 2 and a 25lb on each.

vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    howabout you pick up a bar to do hack squats???

(place bar behind feet, pick up and squeeze them quads/glutes)...

i never liked the hack-squat machine.. wouldnt want to "fail" workin on it...
    SCIVATION XTEND...... 8-10 scoops a-day make the fibras happy!!!!!!

check my bodyspace blog.....

learn how to squat right SQUAT RX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&mode=related&search=

AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

Thanks for the replies; especially that enthusiastic first guy. I'm glad to hear it's a good exercise - or at least one that isn't looked down upon by the BB community.

I haven't tried BB squats for a long while now, so it could be that my legs have become a lot stronger. I know everything else has. It could also mean that the stabilizer muscles are lacking from non-use. Either way, I'll be sure to test the waters next time I hit the iron. I'm pretty excited to find out actually.

This is a big confidence booster for me. Being reassured about this exercises' validity has confirmed that I'm back in the heavy lifters' club. I'm not being cocky or anything, I'm just glad I'm able to lift as much as I used to (more if you count the hack squat) before I lost all the excess flab. When I first went back into weight lifting after a 2-many year hiatus, I was doing less than half of what I did originally... in some cases, a third or forth! To have built back up to my former lifting glory and even surpass it in some ways has made my freakin' day.

Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jtyc40 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I give a lot of my leg credit to hack squats. It's personaly my favorite leg exercise.

TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000) TDetroit is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like squats more. Why isolate the legs when someone your size needs muscle all over. Grab the bar and do regular squats (without the Smith), then do some other leg excercises, and call it leg day.
    At my house, we listen to both kinds of music: Led and Zeppelin!
    How do you build muscle like Bert Landry?

SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kentrox99 View Post
    Wow, 5 plates on each side.
    Man, I usually stop at 2 and a 25lb on each.
    That's because he's bluffing...I seriously doubt he can hack 450lbs, unless there is some sort of gravitational deficiency in his gym or something .

Maybe even though you put all the plates on it, they aren't actually attached to the part your pushing?

Maybe you just happen to have Arnold legs and don't know it!

I've never personally used a hack machine before so I really wouldn't know, but 450lbs when "my squat sucks" doesn't exactly sound right...?

Originally Posted by SEAL_2_B View Post
    That's because he's bluffing...I seriously doubt he can hack 450lbs, unless there is some sort of gravitational deficiency in his gym or something .

Maybe even though you put all the plates on it, they aren't actually attached to the part your pushing?

Maybe you just happen to have Arnold legs and don't know it!

I've never personally used a hack machine before so I really wouldn't know, but 450lbs when "my squat sucks" doesn't exactly sound right...?
    *Makes grandiose gesture*

NON BELIEVER! I smite thee!!

Seriously though, I figured someone would come along and doubt me, and I'm fine with that. It just makes me prouder hearing that it's unbelievable.

Like I said in the last post, ALL my workouts were crap a few months back. I was benching 135 (on a SMITH) and squatting just the same (okay, not THAT bad, but like 175/185). When I was in High School, I was one of the strongest freshman around and I only got stronger as I got older - in the end, my squat was 455 and my bench 315. I was a lard ass though, so I decided after about a 2-3 years (for which time I had completely stopped weight training save for a few times with my neighbor) I would stop being a fat guy and run around the block. I kept this up, and eventually cut down 50 Ibs (This was the landmark time period, but I'd also lost 30 Ibs about six months prior to this time period). And I'm hesitant to say this, but I lost those 50 Ibs in just over two months. I know you're probably saying that's a load too, but I'm only saying it because it goes to show what I've thought all along: all 50 Ibs couldn't have been fat (ie lots of muscle mass was lost due to being TOO fast). So take into account I hadn't worked out prior or during massive weight loss and you turn a strong bigman into a skinny weakling.

I think I digressed quite a bit from the original idea of the paragraph, but it's all relevant. I got back into weight training, and with hard work and possible muscle memory, I quickly gained back a lot of my lost strength - and then some!

I'd be more than happy to get a video recording of me hack squatting if I had a digital recorder like some members here, but I unfortunately don't; and I think I'd feel silly/embarassed/full of myself asking someone to record and then having people see me get recorded. It's not out of the question though...time will tell on that part.

Also, if you'd like SOME proof, I do have pics in my profile of me at the midpoint of my weight loss* - right before/possibly during the 50 Ib period; and then of me at my lowest bodyfat (152 @ 6%). Now I'm 172 with 8%, and it's only been a few months. I always put in a TON of effort. If I feel I'm doing something right, I'll be doing that to the fullest extent my body can handle, and that kind of ethic is what I believe has brought me to where I am and will bring me to where I'll be going.

*I realize this doesn't validate my hack squat, but it can help prove things otherwise.

Originally Posted by TDetroit View Post
    I like squats more. Why isolate the legs when someone your size needs muscle all over. Grab the bar and do regular squats (without the Smith), then do some other leg excercises, and call it leg day.
    I've just started getting some guys to come to the gym with me, so free weight squats are back in the picture! In other words: will do.

I'm hoping I can at least do 315. It would just seem weird, especially to the two guys (they're co-workers) who saw me hack squatting the 5-plates, if I was suddenly maxing out with -180 Ibs of what they saw me doing with a similar exercise.

I doubt I'll lose face as the strong guy since I'm TEACHING them about exercise (both are out of shape) and, if I manage at least 315, it's still a decent weight for squats...

...Unless I fall on my ass.

SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEAL_2_B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just quickly scanned through that last post whilst eating dinner, but yes I believe you now.

I just didn't know anything about your weight training history was all.

But if you used to Squat 455 then I can see how you'd be able to hack so much now.

I think you just have good genetics with your leg strength coming back like that.

I personally think the hack squat would be easier (can't wait to try it) than a regular squat because your arn't concentrating so much on your back and you can just concentrate on your legs, so I think it's gotta be easier.

rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by AE View Post
    My question is this: is the hack squat similar to what I hear about smith machines, as in it's a bastard version of its free weight counterpart?
    Originally Posted by TDetroit View Post
    Grab the bar and do regular squats (without the Smith), then do some other leg excercises, and call it leg day.

Alright, all together now: SMITH SQUATS = HACK SQUATS

(when done correctly)

™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i prefer back sqaut and do hack sqauts with a bar way better
    At the end of the day its the internet.

user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You need to stop worrying about what people think... your in here looking to see if "the bb community looks down on a certain exercise"... then your worried about what people are going to think if they see you squatting less weight than you did on the hack machine.
    Who cares? Are these people endorsing you or something? The hell with them and the hell with us, do the one you get the most from (or both?).

You lift more on the machine hack because it's an easier lift, it's not bad though... I mean your going to get bombarded with both views so it's still going to be up to you.

ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    To the few people who have said hack squats are great mass builders for quads... How do hack squats compare with leg press? Or is this just another case of "do both"?

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^^you successfully answered your own question.
    --I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks, thought so. Just checking to see if there was a different focus on specific parts of the quads.

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ben3133 View Post
    Thanks, thought so. Just checking to see if there was a different focus on specific parts of the quads.
    depends where you put your feet...how you point your toes

hacks put the focus almost squarely on your quads, leg presses split the quads, hammys, and glutes...really depends on whether you put your feet on top or more toward the bottom.
    --I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wish I could do hacks, but they just put an unbelieveable amount of pressure on my knees. Same with sissy squats. I'll do five reps and my legs will be in full on pain. I just stick with squats and leg presses.

Originally Posted by SEAL_2_B View Post
    I just quickly scanned through that last post whilst eating dinner, but yes I believe you now.

I just didn't know anything about your weight training history was all.

But if you used to Squat 455 then I can see how you'd be able to hack so much now.

I think you just have good genetics with your leg strength coming back like that.

I personally think the hack squat would be easier (can't wait to try it) than a regular squat because your arn't concentrating so much on your back and you can just concentrate on your legs, so I think it's gotta be easier.
    Didn't think I'd change your mind.

And yeah, I attribute the quick strength gain to muscle memory. It's unusual for someone to build up that fast otherwise - I mean, I'm not sure I'd believe it from just hearing it either.

When it comes to genetics, my dad, brother, and grandfather (dad's side) were/are all small men, and nothing remarkable as far as strength, so I'm not sure where it would've come from if it were in fact the case. I HEARD (never knew 'em) that my other grandfather was a big guy, but just sorta broad...

Guess I'm just a black sheep.

I consider that a good thing.

Originally Posted by BigLifter85 View Post
    You need to stop worrying about what people think... your in here looking to see if "the bb community looks down on a certain exercise"... then your worried about what people are going to think if they see you squatting less weight than you did on the hack machine.
    Who cares? Are these people endorsing you or something? The hell with them and the hell with us, do the one you get the most from (or both?).

You lift more on the machine hack because it's an easier lift, it's not bad though... I mean your going to get bombarded with both views so it's still going to be up to you.
    I was worrying about how these guys I'm going to the gym with think because it's the first time I've managed to get other people to come to the gym with me. Since becoming a gymrat I've tried and failed a bunch of times (thanks to the Bureaucratic BS of LA Fitness - may they burn in Hell), but this time, I've not just gotten someone to come along, but consistently come back. I guess on a subconscious level, I feared I'd lose some face since they only knew me as the strong, fit guy; even though consciously I know that's stupid.

I haven't actually tried the free weight squat yet. I dunno how much harder and how much less weight I'll need to do to in order to do it, but if it's really, really light in comparison to my squat, I'll at least know why. If anything, I'll be able to build faster seeing as I only need to catch up the stabilizer muscles. Eh, we'll see.

'Preciate the pep talk though.