Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

How do you know if your protein works...

Everyone always says this protein doesn't work or this protein works really well. I was just wondering how some of you decide which brand works for you and which brand doesn't or if a lot of you just assume that since its protein it's working...
    Yup, I'm bigger than you.

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wondered that to, I think people just go by the taste - when you are bulking protein quality really isn't an issue. Personally I just buy from a good brand and use it only in the morning and post-workout, the rest of the time I use skim milk powder.

If it tastes good we have every bodybuilders nemesis - the placebo effect!
    "my grocery bill looks like a ransom note"

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think it's very hard to tell if a protein "works" or not. If you want to put on muscle but you aren't taking in more calories than you burn, not even the best protein will work. On the other hand, if you are consuming enough calories daily, you would be increasing your muscle mass even if you weren't supplementing with any protein at all. I think that the only important thing is that the protein you use is of animal origin (whey, casein, or egg). As long as you aren't using soy, it's probably safe to assume that some of it is being used to build muscle, as long as you are taking in an adequate amount of calories. If you are are trying to lose fat and get cut, it is safe to assume that the protein is being used to spare your muscle from being catabolized for energy too much.

Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by Tim
    If you are are trying to lose fat and get cut, it is safe to assume that the protein is being used to spare your muscle from being catabolized for energy too much.
    Thats my point exactly! It is safe to assume that it doesn't works or doesn't work. I just don't understand how people say I tried so and so brand and it doesn't work. How do they know? What results are they looking for. I, like D&G, use a brand that I know has quality protein but I used to look for muscle recovery. Is that what most people do?
    Yup, I'm bigger than you.

Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Not really, there is no accurate way to judge a protein short of a lab assay. You can't feel it work, and even when you do gain, or preserve muscle, then its most likely due to food sources of protein, where the supplemental protein just serves as a way of getting adequate protein. Don't forget that unless you are a total lazy (and rich) bastard, 70-80% of your protein intake is still from food.

AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianWo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I think it's very hard to tell if a protein "works" or not. If you want to put on muscle but you aren't taking in more calories than you burn, not even the best protein will work. On the other hand, if you are consuming enough calories daily, you would be increasing your muscle mass even if you weren't supplementing with any protein at all. I think that the only important thing is that the protein you use is of animal origin (whey, casein, or egg). As long as you aren't using soy, it's probably safe to assume that some of it is being used to build muscle, as long as you are taking in an adequate amount of calories. If you are are trying to lose fat and get cut, it is safe to assume that the protein is being used to spare your muscle from being catabolized for energy too much.
    So to minimize the loss of muscle mass during a cut, I should supp with protein?

CL's Resident Pump-Fiend RaginAzN's Avatar
    RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by AdrianWo View Post
    So to minimize the loss of muscle mass during a cut, I should supp with protein?
    yes and holy 10.5 year bump
    Controlled Labs Rep

CL FB Page: https://www.********.com/controlledlabs

Disclaimer: The above post is my PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice.

JohnT@ControlledLabs.com

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdrianWo View Post
    Strong 11 year bump.

But yes, to minimize muscle loss during a cut you want to keep your protein intake high. Take for instance myself, i'm eating 2600 calories a day and i get 220g of protein daily.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supplement-Slut has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You'll know if it's working if it says Dymatize on the tub

Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bump for today's BBrs.....

I'm low in reading comprehension, but is the idea here that protein is best suited for cuts more so than bulks? I used to eat at least 150 g in protein a day, but have been on probably 50 g a day for the past few months and feel better leaner gains. On a slow bulk at the moment.

mitche23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mitche23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mitche23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mitche23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mitche23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mitche23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mitche23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mitche23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mitche23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The protein powder that woks best for me is a vegan protein powder. My body simply digests it better
    Take back control of your life!

jevbrowser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    CATABOLIZATION. I think that's my problem. I was making good muscle gains for the past year, except for the past 2 months, where i have plateaued it seems. Stopped making gains. I am trying to get more muscle mass, but keep down the fat/weight, so i know it's a balancing act. I weight-train in gym 3 days per week. I use OP Nutrition Whey both before and after workouts, and without it, i would NOT reach my protein grams/day goal. My question to you (probably silly one) is this: Should I still be using Protein shakes on OFF DAYS? I assume the answer is yes. But how do i know that i am not over-proteining on those days that i don't work out? My goal is 140grams per day (my weight is 165), and i definitely achieve the 140 on the days i work out. I should still be trying to get my 140grams per day even on my off-workout days. Right? (I would use CASEIN on days off cuz it is slower burning). I guess i am concerned that i will over-protein on days off if i stay on the 140grams-everyday-goal.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    jev
    Last edited by jevbrowser; 02-25-2014 at 05:33 AM.

MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MPennacchia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just make sure you're hitting your daily goal for protein intake. Protein powder or not, that's the main objective. You'll see improvements from a good work ethic in the gym, and sound diet. You wont see improvements with a crappy workout trend and choppy diet. It's all a total package, you have to look at it that way,
    Competitive powerlifter
    601s/342b/700d

1643 total @ 214bw
    Usapl

Mp_Deadlifts

jevbrowser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MPennacchia View Post
    Just make sure you're hitting your daily goal for protein intake. Protein powder or not, that's the main objective. You'll see improvements from a good work ethic in the gym, and sound diet. You wont see improvements with a crappy workout trend and choppy diet. It's all a total package, you have to look at it that way,
    So, I guess your answer is YES........do hit my goal EVERY DAY. My muscles still need that protein even between workouts cuz they still need that protein, right?