Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Future Marine Recruit: Severe Shin Splints HELP!!!

I'm about 14 days out (unless my date gets changed) from boot camp.

I was doing PT this morning at the recruit office when my shins decided to give out at about 3/4 of a mile. My endurance was fine I felt like I Just wanted to keep on running and running and runnging and not stop.

It hurt about 2-3 inch above my ankles on the INSIDE of the shin. So bad that it felt like bones were breaking. I winced in pain and collapsed. My feet cramped up and got so bad it felt like they fell asleep. I had to sit down and pull my foot back to completely aligned with my body.

I finished the 1.5 mile in just over 40 minutes cuase I was by myself. Had to limp back to the office.

Dr. said I should take it easy that boot camp is gonna be a pain in the ass for me. My legs are fine now when I sit but when I apply pressure (body weight on my legs) AKA STANDING UP! THey hurt like a mofo.

Any particular muscle I can train in the gym to make stronger?

This is urgent.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Bripark89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would use a lot of ice for the next two weeks. Also if you can get away with it, wrap your lower legs with ace bandages, when you run...the compression will help. Other than that, just make sure you have good shoes. Go to a running shop, and have them fit you for running shoes...they may not be the most stylish, but if they fit your feet the best, you will be happy. Lastly I would look at getting some orthopedic inserts for your boots. You can get these at most shoe stores, but if you have a doc that can do it, custom inserts will be the best.

Good luck, and thanks for serving,
    bp

sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah you gotta ice 'em and rest 'em. Can't really do anything else but the shoe thing is a good idea too. You got a shin splint from running 3/4 of a mile. That is what I'd be worried about. This makes me think you have not been running much for very long. Usually you get shin splints from excessive running or when your just out of shape and if you're getting them after less than a mile that is not good at all. You're going to be doing a lot more than that at boot camp. Maybe you can change your ship date to give you more time to train. If not, you'll probably be bounced or sent to some kind of fat platoon until you get in shape (not saying your fat but that's what you'll be considered to them).

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nah I'm not fat..

I've never been a runner but I started running hardcore for the past few weeks for boot camp.

My 1.5 mile run came in at around 12.5 with just 2 weeks of training. Then my shins started giving out and now I can barely walk down a pair of stairs without wincing in pain..
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    nah I'm not fat..

I've never been a runner but I started running hardcore for the past few weeks for boot camp.

My 1.5 mile run came in at around 12.5 with just 2 weeks of training. Then my shins started giving out and now I can barely walk down a pair of stairs without wincing in pain..
    Don't try running if it still hurts. But DO use an exercise bike so you at least can get some cardio in and work your legs. That should not bother your shin splints and may even make them feel better. Don't forget the ice though! Good luck.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Go see a doctor. Shin splints will eventually lead to stres fractures, which is one of the most common injuries in boot camp. I actually went 4 1/2 years without any shin splints, then when I got out they hit me bad. You may need to stay in DEP for a while and slowly build your bone density up, because you WILL get stress fractures and be sent to MRP (Medical Rehabilitation Platoon, if I remember correctly), and you don't want to go there. A life-sucking experience, to say the least.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    at our school, when cc runners get shin splints, the trainer always has them go to practice and afterwards, soke their entire leg in a huge bucket of ice water, but see a doctor

SGTUSMC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SGTUSMC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SGTUSMC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SGTUSMC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SGTUSMC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SGTUSMC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SGTUSMC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SGTUSMC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SGTUSMC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dookie1481 said it best you don't want to go to boot camp and then go to MRP i'm stationed at Parris Island and see the crap all the time. New recruits come down here fall there IST and either wind up in PCP(physical conditioning platoon) or MRP. And then your stay at the good ole island gets extended and if you think that'll be fine you got another thing coming. I'd say wait until your 100% and don't let those recruiters try to push you to leave on time, there not the ones who will get stuck here doing ***ch work while everyone else goes on with training. And all this talk about getting good shoes, wrapping your legs ect..ect.. Go ahead and ask your DI if you can wear your special shoes or wrap your legs hopefully i'm around to see the outcome of that one!!

bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Shoe idea is a bad one, he's leaving for boot camp in 14 days, why spend 100 bucks for 14 days of usage. Your not allowed to bring your personal running shoes to the island

Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had shin splints and I definitely know how to get rid of them. First off the other guys are right...lots of ice when you first get them (NOTE: After 24 hours you should be using moist heat) and try to rest them from impact type cardio (ie do the bike) as long as you can. Shin splints aren't necesarily bone problems though. They could be an inflammation of the tiny muscles/tendons in the front of the shins. Overly tight calf muscles. A muscle imbalance (calves too strong and the small opposing muscles in front of your leg could be too weak).

http://www.time-to-run.com/injuries/...hinsplints.htm

The way you get rid of them is by doing that stretch where it looks like you're trying to push a wall over. It feels like you're stretching your achilles but it definitely works.

1) put one foot about 20 inches in front of the other
    2) keep both feet flat on the floor
    3) lean forward as far as you can without lifting that rear heal at all. It helps if you're leaning into the wall because then you can hold the stretch for a few minutes and feel the blood flowing into the area.
    4) While you're in this position, try to pick up the toes on your back foot. You won't be able to pick them up much if at all but it will help with the stretch.

Do this as often as possible.

Another thing you can do is exercise the small muscles in front of your shin. Put your toes under a couch or a weight or something and try to do toe lifts.

Remember...if you're going to apply the heat to your legs (and you should), it's important that it's moist heat. I got a moist heating pad from K-Mart for $45 that plugs into the wall and vibrates and you put a moist sponge in it. I cannot tell you the miracles that thing is capable of. I had a pulled lower hammie for 2 weeks that wouldn't heal no matter how much rest I gave it. One day with the moist heating pad (20 min on and 20 min off) and I was able to get back to playing ball. I later got a sprained wrist that it took care of in no time.

bump

make sure to check this out respawn, nice research farva

Good god this is worse then I thought...

Rod Farva I'm gonna buy a moist heat pad tonight.. see if it helps... I just wrap it around my lower leg?

SGTUSMC I'll probably be one of the recruits going into pcp lol.. you'll see me there.. Parris Island in two weeks.. I'm fresh meat

hey dookie.. what if I have just the muscle kind?

rod might be onto something though.. as long as I've been lifting I have never done any kind of toe raise... never worked those front muscles.. but have really strong calves.. if only I was as dedicated to making my lower leg strong like my other muscles

doing some searches on here, keyword, tibalis, im sure you'll find some good info respawn.

wow thanks bradp. THe first link goes really indepth..

first thing to come up on google.. the rest of them.. well I have alot of reading to do..

I am gonna buy that moist heat pad though... see if it works..

good luck

Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rod Farva is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I wrap the moist heat pad around the area with an ace bandage. Tight enough to hold it to the area but not tight enough to cut off circulation. That's the last thing you want to do.

Don't underestimate those stretches. When I used to play more hoops, I'd get the shin splints until those stretches cured them for me. The moist heat should really put it over the top but the stretches/toe lift are also good for this specific condition.

MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DO NOT run on your toes. im not saying that u were, but if u were, dont do it anymore. running on your toes is for sprinting, not jogging.

they also sell various products for shin splints.

also research pnf strethcing for shin splints.
    Ht: 6'4"
    Wt: 220

My Product Logs/Reviews:

Primaforce Substance WPI Grape Splash-
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=433780[/url]

Omega Sports Cre-Ethyl Thunder-
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=475778[/url]

wtf? I've always ran on my toes..

whenever my foot makes impact with the ground that's when it feels like bones are snappin..

what's the proper jogging form?

SVU-KNIGHT-52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

dude I know excactly what you're talking about. i had killer shin splints for the first half of the football season. the only real way to "cure" or get rid of them is rest. this sucks especially since you are tryign to prepare for the marines. just remember those guys are for real, i would take the advice of the Parris Island DI and push back entry.(it doesnt sound very tough or manly) something else as far as rehab is concerned, take Ibuproffen about 1/2 hour-45 min. before you run. also you can get shin compression shorts from any sporting-goods store.
    1.ice
    2.rest
    3.ibuproffen
    4.compression sleeves.
    these 4 things have really helped me. good luck!

MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MKB001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    wtf? I've always ran on my toes..

whenever my foot makes impact with the ground that's when it feels like bones are snappin..

what's the proper jogging form?
    i believe the correct joggin form is heel to toe.
    someone please back me up.

but seriously, just think about it....
    if you run jog on your toes, think about how much undue stress that is putting on your shins!
    Ht: 6'4"
    Wt: 220

My Product Logs/Reviews:

Primaforce Substance WPI Grape Splash-
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=433780[/url]

Omega Sports Cre-Ethyl Thunder-
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=475778[/url]

Bripark89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One other thought on this. What are you running on? If you are runnning on Sidewalks, that may be the cause of your condition. I know this will sound odd, but Concrete is the worst thing to run on...try either running on the asphalt (softer that concrete) or better yet, run in the grass. By getting on a bit softer surface, you will cause a lot less compression stress on the tibia, and that, along with the rest, Ice, and compression should help aleviate your prob...

bp

it will help with my problem correct but.. what will I be running on in boot camp? MULTIPLE SURFACES..

even in boots! even with 100LB packs on my back..

Yeah dude, he's going to be running on a little of everything? Any verdict on decision you've made yet respawn?

Registered User Endurancathlete's Avatar
    Endurancathlete has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    didnt read all the followups so I dont kno if any1 suggested this but I know theyve got sumthing like a wrap that you can warm up or freeze and use while your working out. Dont know if they have one to fit your leg or how much help it would be but just thought id mention it

I'm going to buy those moist heatpads at kmart..

I just purchased running shoes.. and I'm gonna work on the technique of just running on my heels not on my toes.. which is a bit awkward..

I've also been doing alot of cycling..

we'll see how this goes.. as of now I haven't ran in about 3-4 days and my shins feel better I can walk up and down stairs now.. I'm gonna run again and maybe its slowly improved with all the resting? we'll see how it goes..

For the love of pantsu Rawp0wer1O1's Avatar
    Location: Cleveland Ohio, Bringing instrumentality down on your candy ass, Japan
    Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rawp0wer1O1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Best thing for shin splints is "Tums" (the heart burn stuff)
    It's a great source of calcium that helps shin splints.
    Just pop 2 of those every day and your splints will go away
    That's what I did any ways because I didn't drink enough milk

Just to let you guys know.. I went for a run tonight in the park..

had a pre workout meal.. popped about 4 motrin (bottle said take one) and I did my run...

the only pain I felt in myshins was muscle burning. But it wasn't actual pain.. it didn't stop me.. and I ran farther then I ever did before.. I was actually stopped by my sucky endurance this time not by warn down shins..

Are my shin splints gone? Or is motrin that ****in good!?

Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clipse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Damn I wish I could join the U.S forces, but I have no green card and I am a canadian resident too. And the army doesnt sponsor you like other employment places in the states that take canadians over....

Anyways how much do you run? Just out of curiousity, right now I'm at about 15 miles a week.
    My Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120830451

April 2004 - 270lbs 40% bodyfat
    Now - 207lbs 12% bodyfat
    Goal - 205lbs <10%

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

gearedlatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hold up

Respawn, listen up. You need to reevaluate your situation. If you are looking to land on PI with any ailment at all, that's a bad idea. Having been there myself and seen recruits go through MRP just to wash back out and spend 6 months there sucks. You DO NOT want that to be you.

On a second note in looking at your run times you need to take a lot longer in your training. FYI - A Marine Corps PFT run is 3 miles. Not 1.5. If you are running 1.5 in 12 that's a problem. An 18 minute 3 mile is worth 100 points. If you're not under 20 minutes stay home til you are.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by gearedlatz
    Respawn, listen up. You need to reevaluate your situation. If you are looking to land on PI with any ailment at all, that's a bad idea. Having been there myself and seen recruits go through MRP just to wash back out and spend 6 months there sucks. You DO NOT want that to be you.

On a second note in looking at your run times you need to take a lot longer in your training. FYI - A Marine Corps PFT run is 3 miles. Not 1.5. If you are running 1.5 in 12 that's a problem. An 18 minute 3 mile is worth 100 points. If you're not under 20 minutes stay home til you are.

thats tough... i agree wait till fully fit etc... but i know ur situation...