snyderm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Sauna, Good or Bad?

Whats your thoughts on hitting the sauna after working out. Do you feel this is good or bad for overall progress? For me the sauna keeps my skin clear, relaxes my muscles after a hard workout, and helps me get to sleep since I workout late at night (10-12am). I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about 10-15 minutes in the sauna after each workout.

Soon to be mean n lean! Dominikm's Avatar
    Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's really good, for your skin, relaxing and give you better sleep. Sweets the excess water weight to a degree out of you also.

Even if there were no benefits it still makes you feel awsome once your out for the rest of the day
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120534891 - May 1st Challenge. (Prize!) Thread

27/11 - 92.9kg
    04/12 - 92.4kg
    Dec - Month off for the festive season
    04/01 - 101.7kg
    11/01 - 96.95kg
    18/01 - 93.10kg
    25/01 - 92.95kg
    01/02 - 90.70kg
    08/02 - 90.20kg
    15/02 - 87.5kg
    01/03 - 87kg

RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by snyderm View Post
    Whats your thoughts on hitting the sauna after working out. Do you feel this is good or bad for overall progress? For me the sauna keeps my skin clear, relaxes my muscles after a hard workout, and helps me get to sleep since I workout late at night (10-12am). I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about 10-15 minutes in the sauna after each workout.
    Sounds nice. I think I may have to start doing that now after I work out. Well, the new gym I'm switching to has this.

jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by snyderm View Post
    I personally love the feeling of the sauna. It helps me get some unwanted water weight out of me. Get rid of toxins in your body and is really good for your skin. If you ever go out on the town to long and have a hangover...this is a good cure also.
    KettleBURN Fitness and Personal Training
    CrossFit Level 1 Trainer (CF-L1)

RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was curious as to what the benefits are and this is what I found:

"auna enthusiasts laud the health benefits of "sweat baths," attributing them with healing, preventative, and cleansing properties. The sauna of Finland is a tradition that some researchers date back over two thousand years. The Finns attribute their endurance and longevity to the tradition of sauna.

Basically, what happens to the body during a sauna is quite simple ? your metabolism and pulse rates increase, your blood vessels become much more flexible, and your extremities benefit from increased circulation. Physical fitness fans will recognize that some of these changes can also be achieved through strenuous exercise. Not to say that a sauna would put you in excellent physical condition without moving a muscle (don't some of us wish!), but that it brings about the same metabolic results as physical exercise.

The effects of the sauna are numerous and varied. Proponents of dry heat bath mention a feeling of psychological peace and contentment as well as physical rejuvenation. Many people claim that the sauna relieves the symptoms of minor illnesses such as colds, revives the muscles after tough physical exertion, and clears the complexion. The sauna experience will often leave you feeling very much alive. Your senses will be sharpened, and your tactile sensitivity heightened.

Another aspect of the sauna that needs to be considered is your mental state prior to taking one. Many people attest to the healing powers of the sauna concerning mental depression and anxiety. They say that after leaving the sauna, the mind is in a relaxed, lucid state, free of the worries of the everyday world. Also, when the body feels soothed and energized, the mind and emotions often follow suit.

Some basic tips before entering the sauna:

* Don't drink alcohol, as it works as a depressant, where the blood is moving slowly and the nerve endings are literally shutting down, and counteracts the benefits of the sauna.
    * Older people need to avoid or limit their time in the sauna.
    * People with heart ailments or respiratory diseases need to avoid the sauna, and anyone with chronic ailments needs to check first with his or her doctor.
    * Don't eat prior to the sauna.
    * Avoid drug use and the sauna ? tranquilizers, stimulants, and other prescribed drugs alter the body's metabolism and could produce dour effects in the heat.
    * If you experience dizziness, problems with breathing, or a general feeling of ill health, leave the sauna immediately.

If you do decide to use the sauna, start gradually. Stay in only as long as you are comfortable, increasing the time with each visit. The Finns respect the sauna to such a degree that their ministers of government often conduct business in and around the sauna. They also believe that a person, upon leaving a fulfilling sauna, will be clear of mind and untroubled. Who knows? This may be Columbia's best and cheapest stress reduction technique yet!"

Increased circulation so I would have to say that's good. That is one of the main reasons people use NO2.

snyderm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Things I hear about the sauna

Temperature. Use the following guidelines to ensure temperatures are set correctly: Sauna: 170 - 180 degrees Fahrenheit, 5% relative humidity."

Ive heard that if the sauna in NOT atleast 170 degrees then bacteria can thrive, increasing teh chance for lung infections etc. My gym never has the suana hot enough and I crank it up. Gyms never clean saunas as much as they should, since there usually wood, if the bacteria is present its really hard to kill off unless the temp is right 180 or so.

Anyone know anything about this?