Thread: Questions

harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harry34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Questions

I have 2 questions.

First,
    After doing heavy compound lifts, I notice that my later lighter lifts suffer. For example, today after doing Deadlifts, Lat pull downs, and Rows, I could only do 8 reps of pull ups, because arms/back were already exhausted. Normally, I can do about 15-20 reps for the first set of pull ups (if they are the first exercise I do). Is this fine, or should I lower intensity for the previous lifts (which seems like a bad idea to me), or do something else entirely?

Second,
    Especially for the Bench Press, I notice my reps decrease a lot with each set. On the first set with a given weight, I can usually do 9 reps. Then for the next set only 5 or 6 reps, and then for the third set only 4 or 5 reps. I usually take 1-2minute break between sets. I always push myself to the point where I am failing on the last rep. Is there a problem with this--should I not push myself to failure on that first set, so I can get out more reps on later sets?

drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drangel254 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Failure is good and of course hitting a heavy compound lift will lower the weoghtsfor the others. Don't worry too much about numbers just make sure that your getting 6-8 for some heavy weight on your exercises.

BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000)
    i dont leave the gym until i cant lift my arms above my head or i cant walk without almost locking my knees.

in other words, what Dr said
    [300 Spartan Crew]

thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50) thomaslux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by harry34 View Post
    I have 2 questions.

First,
    After doing heavy compound lifts, I notice that my later lighter lifts suffer. For example, today after doing Deadlifts, Lat pull downs, and Rows, I could only do 8 reps of pull ups, because arms/back were already exhausted. Normally, I can do about 15-20 reps for the first set of pull ups (if they are the first exercise I do). Is this fine, or should I lower intensity for the previous lifts (which seems like a bad idea to me), or do something else entirely?

Second,
    Especially for the Bench Press, I notice my reps decrease a lot with each set. On the first set with a given weight, I can usually do 9 reps. Then for the next set only 5 or 6 reps, and then for the third set only 4 or 5 reps. I usually take 1-2minute break between sets. I always push myself to the point where I am failing on the last rep. Is there a problem with this--should I not push myself to failure on that first set, so I can get out more reps on later sets?
    prioritise that which is most important - i know my bicep workouts suck if i do them straight after sets of back-work, especially pull-ups/chins, and for that reason i don't work back and biceps together, even though it's a very popular combination. your smaller more isolated movements will suffer after large compound lifts, but you can alter your workouts if you feel that is impacting on something you're really looking to build. it's completely normal, though, and unless you want to move things around in your workout, just go with it.

as far as decreasing reps in later sets, it definitely happens to me, with bb bench particularly (the ****ing bane of my existence). normally i'll hit my target first two sets, then drop off dramatically third set. as long as you're progressing in a way that you feel reflects your intensity, don't stress about it – if, for example, you hit 10,10,8 one week, then increase the weight by 5lbs the next and once again hit 10,10,8, then that’s progress – keep it up! Experiment with different rest periods between sets and see if there’s any change.

I don’t recommend not leaving the gym till you can’t lift your hands over your head, though…
    currently stacking: white blood/purple wraath/kre-alk

**Aussie Winter Crew**

lost 110lbs, now in the process of building a better me