WingGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench press plateau: help please!

Hello!

I'm new to posting, but I've read an awful lot of helpful information here. I'd like to know if anyone has ideas for how to break through a plateau. I've been bench pressing 70 pounds (1 35 plate on each side...math isn't my strong suit) at 6 reps for 2 sets (and i can barely do the 6th rep on either set) for a grand total of 3.5 months!! How can I make some progress here!?

Here's some more info that might help;

Regular cardio and sports nut for years, started lifting in June.
    Started with full body workout, 3x week, heavy weights, low reps. Bench presses were included in this routine. I started with 25 plates and moved up to 35 in a month.

Stayed with full body routine for 3 months. Could not move past 35 pounds no matter what.

Took a week off in Sept.

Began a 3-day split. Chest/tri; back/bi; legs. Here's my chest/tricep routine:

Bench press (2 sets of 6) 35 plates
    Push ups (2 sets of 10)
    Flys (flat bench) (2 sets of 10) 25 dumbbells
    Cable cross (1 set of 15) 40 pounds on each rack
    Bench dip (2 sets of 10)
    Press down with rope (2 sets of 10)
    Skullcrushers (1 set of 15) 20#

I've progressively been able to increase weight for dumbbell rows, legs, and pullups (less assistance), but I can't budge the bench press and it's starting to tick me off.

I don't supplement, would rather not, but I also eat as much lean fish and chicken and low fat soy/dairy for protein.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Oops--wrong forum...I'm a genius...NOT

Sorry...I thought I was posting in the workout forum....I reposted there!

Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey..i was wondering..are you saying you're putting 2x35plates on a olympic barbell? then you would be benching 115lb ...you do know that right?

I suggest start off with low weights at about 8reps.

Then on the second set...go straight for that 6rep with the weights you are having problem with. Do this for a few weeks...
    Maybe start off at 20lb each side of bb.....for the low weights. Then make a good 15lb jump in weights for both sides...and see how that feels..If you feel good..try and do the same weights for another set to failure. Then go for another set of 25lb ..and end the exercise there.

hope that helps.
    Davinci flavor oppinions:
    Banana-awesome
    Pancake-awesome
    cookie dough-good (not sweet but has flavor)
    German Chocolate Cake- good (sweet, not strong)
    PB- good(sweet, not strong flavor)
    Gingerbread- good (taste like gingerale/no good on pancakes, okay in oatmeal)
    Coconut- good. (has flavor..a tiny sweetness)
    Macadamia Nut- good/poor
    Danish Pastry-good (if you like cookie dough you would like this)
    Blueberry-Awesome/good

Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes, you do have to remember it is the combination of the three. Barbell + Plate+Plate= total amount. Standard Olympic barbells weigh 45lbs. Then add two 35lb plates (total 70lbs) and you find you have been benching 115lbs...not 70lbs. The smaller standard barbells will weigh from 18 to 21lbs depending on the company. From there you add the combined plate weight to get the total.

This is one area, getting your math straight is a good idea. But getting this far only since starting to bench in June is not bad at all. You might want to try doing dumbbell bench presses to help strengthen the support muscles.

Then it could be not working enough to build the triceps up that is causing the sticking point.

This thread is all about bench pressing and getting through any sticking points. Although written by a guy, the points are the same and so is the advice for a woman.
    "Training Chest"

Of course, you would probably not want to use chains or floor benching or whatever. But he does point out that form and keeping a good stable platform is needed as well as building up good arm support muscles.

You know, after rereading that thread.....I see where MY sticking problems have been too. LOL.....

bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WingGirl
    Hello!

I'm new to posting, but I've read an awful lot of helpful information here. I'd like to know if anyone has ideas for how to break through a plateau. I've been bench pressing 70 pounds (1 35 plate on each side...math isn't my strong suit) at 6 reps for 2 sets (and i can barely do the 6th rep on either set) for a grand total of 3.5 months!! How can I make some progress here!?

Here's some more info that might help;

Regular cardio and sports nut for years, started lifting in June.
    Started with full body workout, 3x week, heavy weights, low reps. Bench presses were included in this routine. I started with 25 plates and moved up to 35 in a month.

Stayed with full body routine for 3 months. Could not move past 35 pounds no matter what.

Took a week off in Sept.

Began a 3-day split. Chest/tri; back/bi; legs. Here's my chest/tricep routine:

Bench press (2 sets of 6) 35 plates
    Push ups (2 sets of 10)
    Flys (flat bench) (2 sets of 10) 25 dumbbells
    Cable cross (1 set of 15) 40 pounds on each rack
    Bench dip (2 sets of 10)
    Press down with rope (2 sets of 10)
    Skullcrushers (1 set of 15) 20#

I've progressively been able to increase weight for dumbbell rows, legs, and pullups (less assistance), but I can't budge the bench press and it's starting to tick me off.

I don't supplement, would rather not, but I also eat as much lean fish and chicken and low fat soy/dairy for protein.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    what a mess.

drop all that other nonsense and your bench will immediately go up.

on bench day do one or two other excercises at the most. not six. better yet you could do bench only.

if you want to gain strength only, keep your reps down to 3. do as many sets as you like. take long rests 2-5 minutes between sets.

do bench press in the powerlifting style. it is safer and more natural.

check out the powerlifting/strongman forum. read articles by dave tate and louie simmons.

in order to make constant gains you must cycle or vary your workouts. if you try to just keep adding weight or reps every workout, you will hit a dead end, like you did.

if you reduce intensity or volume of your other excercise for a while, this will help bring up your bench.

makin' women stronger strongwhit's Avatar
    strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongwhit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i hear this works pretty good

http://fortifiediron.net/bench.html

hope this helps thanks.
    - whits farm
    arms: 12.6"
    forearms: 10"
    thighs: 21"
    calves: 14"
    weight: 106 lbs
    sex: woman

max bench:155 lbs 8 reps

Thanks a bunch!

Hey;

Thanks a lot, everyone! Those are all really helpful suggestions. I'm going to change the routine and split and get through this plateau!! I'm so inspired reading all of these posts.

Oh, and, no, my math sucks. I wasn't counting the bar. Good to know!

Thanks again. I'll post as soon as I break through this!

Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have used a whole bunch of techniques to push my bench up. There are several things you can do:-

1. Use the powerlifting method of bench, feet on floor, back arched, shoulder blades pushed together, lift through the soles of your feet. Read the links suggested above. I found this hard to learn, it took a few weeks, but the first day I nailed it, my bench jumped 10% right there and then.

2. 3 (or more) sets of Bench, not 2 and maybe 1 other chest exercise if you want. But Bench first and foremost.

3. Make your first triceps exercise Close Grip Bench. It will boost your Bench. Use the same lifting method as Bench.

4. Never use the same routine for 3.5 months. You should make some changes every, say 6 to 8 weeks. Try doing some of these (after warming up) :

- 1 set on 8, 1 set on 6, 1 set on 4

- 1 set on 8 on the heaviest weight you can do, repeat. When you can't complete 8 reps, lighten the weight and go to 8 reps. Repeat. When you can't complete 8 reps, lighten the weight. And so on.

- 1 set on 4, 1 set on 6, 1 set on 4

- 1 rep on close to max. Then 1 rep max. Then do six more single 1 rep lifts on whatever weight you can handle.

5. You should try for your one rep max every few weeks. You MUST have a spot for this.

6. I make better gains hitting chest heavy twice a week. Some do better on once. Some do better on one heavy day and one light day.

These have all worked for me.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."