JerzeyBoyz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Cardio BAD for Muscle Growth?

I am buckling down this month and throwing on some weight and size. I have very little body fat and have been putting on some great size in a fast time.

After lifting, I do a quick 20min of treadmill running and do some laps in the pool (the laps really crush my muscles its great)

Someone I was talking with was saying that cardio is not good for growth. I have heard that before but do not beleive it. I feel the cardio gets alot of blood flowing and pumps me up.

Is cardio bad for muscle growth?

Bingogym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I LOVE Cardio. I think its underrated and bashed too much. I believe that as long as your eating right and you workout with weights is stronger and more intense then your cardio, you'll be fine. I am doing cardio now for 30 minutes after EVERY workout.

JerzeyBoyz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Yes

Thats what I think.... but I had to ask why it is being bashed so much...

Anyone know why?

Aetolos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it is because your body puts its resources to recovering your heart over recovering your skeletal muscles. Not sure though, but it would make sense.

From my experience, moderate cardio aids in muscle growth.
    2005 PIAA Track & Field State Championships - Lane 4, here I come.

Go Eagles!

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Should probably be fine if you eat enough, but what's bad is that you're doing it right after lifting. Generally a better idea to separate the two.

JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no cardio is not bad in preventing muscle gain. the only things you have to worry about, is obviously being in calorie surplus, enough protein, proper timing/partitioning, and intensity. the intensity that works best for me while bulking/cutting without slowing my progess and losing muscle is low-intensity....
    Train
    Eat
    Sleep

DC style

"If you always do what you always done, you will always get what you always got".

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if you arn't eating enough, then it's bad.
    <->

mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    cardio is often bashed BECAUSE people do stupid stuff like 40 minutes long ass cardio workouts after weights or before weights.

anyone doing that deserves to be bashed if he/she doesn't take a mid-workout drink to stem off the cortisol levels.

cardio is NOT bad for muscle growth. only if you overdo it, such that your calories taken in becomes lower than calories used.

in that case, you won't grow, and might even shrink.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

meandmyiv / scott donald / DarkFalcon

Bingogym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do 30 minutes after almost every workout and I am losing nothing. But I eat ALOT. It really depends, as I said before....as long as your cardio is much less intense then your weight workout and you are eating alot, you will be fine.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JerzeyBoyz
    Thats what I think.... but I had to ask why it is being bashed so much...

Anyone know why?
    Because most people feel the need to justify their laziness.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) MojoWrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do twenty minutes of cardio before every workout, just to get warmed up, and then stretch. Also, I take one day every week just for cardio and fat loss. Those are....let's say...slightly....longer....than twenty minutes. Doing this, I've seen awesome gains in muscle, and overall fitness. Oh yeah, and also, everyone should always stretch before and after a workout, in case for some reason they didn't know. I don't really know how you wouldn't, but just in case.
    Last edited by MojoWrestler; 11-10-2004 at 12:52 AM.
    Weight = 220
    Height = 5'9"
    Bodyfat = 7-10%
    Waist = 33 in.
    Chest = 49 in.
    Upper Arms = 18.5 in.
    Quads = 29 in.
    Calves = 19 in.

Flexibility = Awesomeness

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ideally, cardio should be done on your days off otherwise it is possible to lose size if you do not eat enough.
    After a workout, your body is obviously begins stipping down and rebuilding muscles. If you have a calorific deficent during this period, your body may well start using protein as an energy source.
    If you are eating enough then this may be avoided, but it still may reduce the speed and size of your gains.

Its one of those things that you will not know for sure until you change your routine and see what happens.
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MojoWrestler
    I do twenty minutes of cardio before every workout, just to get warmed up, and then stretch. Also, I take one day every week just for cardio and fat loss. Those are....let's say...slightly....longer....than twenty minutes. Doing this, I've seen awesome gains in muscle, and overall fitness. Oh yeah, and also, everyone should always stretch before and after a workout, in case for some reason they didn't know. I don't really know how you wouldn't, but just in case.
    I wouldn't recommend static stretching before a workout. Only after.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Bob Wills wannabe cowboyathlete's Avatar
    cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I feel the cardio gets alot of blood flowing and pumps me up.
    You are correct. Cardio is the perfect complement to bodybuilding because you need an aerobic activity to get blood and oxygen flowing into your muscles. I agree with the other guys in this thread who suggest to do it on your days off, however.
    1. I thought all along you'd be the death of me, but I met one tonight who wants what's left of me!
    2. You are so full of s***, maintenance is still unclogging the toilet.
    3. Save a horse, ride a cowboy!
    4. This mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist.
    5. I'd like to check you for ticks.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dookie1481
    I wouldn't recommend static stretching before a workout. Only after.

agreed. save the stretching for afterwards. best way to avoid soem injuries.
    <->

aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50) aflexaholic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cardio after your workout is a great way to deplete glycogen levels in order to prepare the catabolic/anabolic switch when you have your protein/carb shake. Also cardio stimulates your appetite and may allow you to get down extra amino acids and complex carbs. I agree that cardio is necessary.
    Become a Fan on our ******** and become eligible for Free giveaways, Special promotions, and ******** exclusive deals!!!

http://www.********.com/pages/Better-Body-Sports/148301508542835

Shop for Better Body Sports products

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/betterbodysports/betterbodysports.htm

Section8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    cardio is bashed too much. but I never saw great gains until I limnited cardio to 1 day a week or even less. then when I try toi shed fat I up it again.
    cardio uses ebergy and nutrients that could be going to muscle building and recovery and thats why its not good to do alot.
    running and swimming after every workout is probably over doing it if you actually expect to get bigger and stronger.

NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Provided you replace the calories that you burn during cardio while on a bulk, its good for you.

Teacher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, I wanted to jump in on this. Cardio - 30 min 70%MHR - Monday thru Friday around 5:30am. Lifting around 4pm M-F. Resting weekends. Good diet.
    Want to shed some lbs but keep the muscle I have gained. Will this help?

pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50) pecan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    don't listen to everything you hear. there are a lot of rumors that get around gyms which are absolutely ridiculous, and i must admit, this is one of them.

Section8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Teacher
    Hey, I wanted to jump in on this. Cardio - 30 min 70%MHR - Monday thru Friday around 5:30am. Lifting around 4pm M-F. Resting weekends. Good diet.
    Want to shed some lbs but keep the muscle I have gained. Will this help?
    it will depend mostly on your diet.

Teacher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Right now I am pushing 4000 to 4500 cal/day. 40%carb 40%pro 20% fat. Eatting every 2-3 hours. Thinking about keeping same ratio but dropping to 3500 cal/day to see if that works. Any suggestions about changing ratio or cal/day?

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dropping from 4500 cal/day to 3500 cal/day is too big a drop IMO. (22.2%)
    If you limit your drop to less than 10 % (~400-500 cal/day) you will limit the bodies starvation response (ie holds on to body fat and starts using muscle as fuel instead). After a few weeks, if you are not happy with your progres, you could drop another 10% (to ~3500 cal/day)
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am buckling down this month and throwing on some weight and size. I have very little body fat and have been putting on some great size in a fast time.

After lifting, I do a quick 20min of treadmill running and do some laps in the pool (the laps really crush my muscles its great)

Someone I was talking with was saying that cardio is not good for growth. I have heard that before but do not beleive it. I feel the cardio gets alot of blood flowing and pumps me up.

Is cardio bad for muscle growth?
    Cardio is good for GROWTH but bad for STRENGTH, compared to weight training alone, at least for beginners according to research.