Desperado69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Is 4 sets of 6-8 reps good for buiding size?

Hi ive been following a workout program that consists of doing one body part a day and for no more than an hour, 4 sets of 6-8 reps would you say this is a good program to follow?? Ive been working out for about 16 months now and gained about 15lbs and have gotten very strong since starting.
    Monday- arms
    Tuesday-back
    Wednesday-chest
    Thursday-legs
    Friday-arms(optional)
    Saturday-shoulders
    Sunday-legs(optional)

BODYBUILDER / WARRIOR The Conqueror's Avatar
    The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm feeling redundant because this is the third time today I've written this but read Big Cat's article on I.C.E. training in the articles section.
    Before you achieve victory in the war without. . .you must first master the warrior within. . . (The Conqueror)

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war (Asian Proverb)

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Exclamation 7 days??

Where is your recovery time????

Less is more sometimes!

Change reps and sets often to keep your body guessing.

Get some rest in there....

HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Err, well what can i say. You're probably the best example of overtraining seen here for a while.

What makes you think that you need to be performing 4 sets per body part, 7 days per week in order to induce muscular hypertrophy? Let me ask you another question - what is the one thing in a workout which stimulates growth?.......Answer - Intensity of effort. You need only perform ONE set of exercise to concentric momentary muscular failure in order to simulate growth. You also need to reduce the volume of your workouts and concentrate on the compound (basic) exercises such as squats, deadlifts etc. The frequency also must be reduced, try training once every 96 hours to begin with, but if this is not enough, take more time off. As a rule never go back into the gym if you're still sore from the last workout.

Get your nutrition and rest in order and you're heading in the right direction.
    Also remember that poundage progression is the barometer of success, if you're not progressing then you're not training effectively.

Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dann has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs down

hey man , i found for me 8-12 reps works best, better piump, and better gains, and i do 8-12 sets per body part also i gain like 5 lbs a month in muscle, 7 on a good month, but if you follow my program , it will lead ot success , at leat it did for me, P.S. Im 191 lbs at 5'9" now too
    Kansas City Crew Baby!!!

04' is da **** baby
    Work Hard, Play Harder.

"I feel Sorry for people who don't drink, becasue when they wake up in the morning, thats the best they are going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Madmatx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It also depends on the bodypart. the lower body generally needs more reps, so do traps, and for some people lats.

Wolf6969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dont forget to eat.,
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever.

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    U cant work arms on monday and then expect to pull off a decent back workout on a tuesday!
    "my grocery bill looks like a ransom note"

wifebeater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Training advice

Hey man, maybe i can help ya out a little. If i were you i'd train chest and shoulders first in the week to get my pressing movements out of the way or wait three days before doing chest shoulders. Both those require tricep involvement and you don't want to overtrain by using a muscle when its supposed to be healing. Second, i take it putting on size is your goal so traing one part a day is smart but you can hit two if you really wanted(back,bi's/chest,tri's). Its not really how little work you do but how intense and focused you hit each muscle. Remember the basics, 2 seconds up, 4 seconds down. Real intensity is what really tears up your muscles, not doing Arnold marathon workouts. So doing 4 sets and 6-8 or 5-7 reps strict will work the muscle enough and you'll see the pump. You can grow doing this and see in two weeks even, just remember eat,eat,eat!!!

Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do yourself a favour, don't try to continue at the same frequency of training. If your gains are slowing down chances are your body is going into overtraining. Cut the frequency down by adding in extra days of rest between workouts. Get yourself a copy of one of the following: Brawn by Stuart McRobert, Power Factor Training by Peter Sisco. I actually recommend the later. Peter also has a new e-book. You can link to it from my web site.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ego/gethuge

"He that teaches us anything which we knew not before is undoubtedly to be reverenced as a master." - Samuel Johnson

ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ironman57 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    hey bro, if it aint broke ,dont fix it! If you are making decent gains, dont change anything. What works for you, might not for someone else, and vise-versa.

Train hard and continue to learn something new everyday. You can never know to much about one thing.

jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayz33055 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    bump that! if it works for you..then stick to it until it stops working.
    Dedication and hardwork is the key to anything

Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry, I guess my last post wasn't very clear. The point is that no one can really answer whether or not a certain program works. It depends on how you respond. However, if you don't think your results are what they should be, then you need to make changes. The high volume approach came from the steroid era and stuck. Most people do respond much better to reduced volume and frequency. Again, atleast have a look at the info from Pete Sisco and check out www.hardgainer.com for some basic info. You'll thank me!

"He that teaches us anything which we knew not before is undoubtedly to be reverenced as a master." - Samuel Johnson

Wolf6969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Training like that is for people who dont want to put in the effort.
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever.

Get real!

On the contrary, the vast majority of people with that opinion have never tried true, to failure, training. Most go to failure alright....on the 10th set. It just doesn't count. If you can go to true muscular failure on 2-3 sets, its all you need. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't actually done it, is juicin', or has never attained their true potential because of it! Again, get "Train Smart" and read the data. At least have a look and try it what have you got to lose?
    E-mail me if you want more info or check out one of my sites:

www.angelfire.com/ego/gethuge or

http://bodybuildingebooks.hypermart.net

WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Stop promoting your site and sales on our forum.

Get Huge, please stop trying to sell your E-Books on our forum. I like Pete's system also, but I don't constantly spam for people to come to my website and buy my E-books etc. Its also not allowed. The forums are for discussing bodybuilding and training etc. Not for handing out sales pitches.

KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingWass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by HIT is best View Post
    Err, well what can i say. You're probably the best example of overtraining seen here for a while.

What makes you think that you need to be performing 4 sets per body part, 7 days per week in order to induce muscular hypertrophy? Let me ask you another question - what is the one thing in a workout which stimulates growth?.......Answer - Intensity of effort. You need only perform ONE set of exercise to concentric momentary muscular failure in order to simulate growth. You also need to reduce the volume of your workouts and concentrate on the compound (basic) exercises such as squats, deadlifts etc. The frequency also must be reduced, try training once every 96 hours to begin with, but if this is not enough, take more time off. As a rule never go back into the gym if you're still sore from the last workout.

Get your nutrition and rest in order and you're heading in the right direction.
    Also remember that poundage progression is the barometer of success, if you're not progressing then you're not training effectively.

I agree with everything you say. However, training when sore helps in getting strong and build muscle - its how your body wil get used to it - with the right diet you will gain loads. Imagine after every workout you took off 3-4 days to recover from soreness - you would go on months before your body would get used to lifting - whether that is high reps or low- do not misunderstand of you are sore to the poiny you struggle to do daily activities then it is not wise - please apply common sense

Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by fitnessman View Post
    Where is your recovery time????

Less is more sometimes!

Change reps and sets often to keep your body guessing.

Get some rest in there....
    Changing reps and sets will never keep the body guessing, shock, confuse or trick it. And I'm not just speaking metaphorically.

NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KingWass View Post
    I agree with everything you say. However, training when sore helps in getting strong and build muscle - its how your body wil get used to it - with the right diet you will gain loads. Imagine after every workout you took off 3-4 days to recover from soreness - you would go on months before your body would get used to lifting - whether that is high reps or low- do not misunderstand of you are sore to the poiny you struggle to do daily activities then it is not wise - please apply common sense
    strong 12 year bump mr. common sense
    I don't think OP was still searching for the answer
    can't out train a bad diet

can't out diet bad training

NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NickJones1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Desperado69 View Post
    Hi ive been following a workout program that consists of doing one body part a day and for no more than an hour, 4 sets of 6-8 reps would you say this is a good program to follow?? Ive been working out for about 16 months now and gained about 15lbs and have gotten very strong since starting.
    Monday- arms
    Tuesday-back
    Wednesday-chest
    Thursday-legs
    Friday-arms(optional)
    Saturday-shoulders
    Sunday-legs(optional)
    OP this is good but make sure that every few months you change the days, exercises, rep ranges etc.. to keep your body guessing.

TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheQuiet has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by NickJones1998 View Post
    OP this is good but make sure that every few months you change the days, exercises, rep ranges etc.. to keep your body guessing.
    This thread was made in 2001.

I'm sure he resolved his issue by now. lol